Simon Porte Jacquemus
Simon Porte Jacquemus (born 1990) is a French fashion designer and the founder of the Jacquemus fashion label.
Simon Porte Jacquemus
Life and careerEdit
Jacquemus was born into a relatively modest family of farmers; his father sang occasionally in metal bands and his mother raised him. He grew up in the small town of Mallemort in southern France. In 2008, at the age of 18, he went to Paris, where he studied for a few months at the École supérieure des arts et techniques de la mode (ESMOD). He then left the program for an assistant stylist position at Citizen K fashion magazine. The sudden death of his mother prompted him to begin his own career as a fashion designer.
He was 20 years old when he created his brand Jacquemus, his mother's maiden name. He promoted his designs by having friends wear his creations in shops during Vogue's Fashion Night Out in 2010 in Paris. In 2012, he was invited to present his collection during Paris Fashion Week.
Most of the fabrics used in his collections come from a workwear supplier. The cut is simple, with few details, but original. The prints sometimes recall the world of films by Jacques Tati or Louis Malle. He has described his creations as a "naïve" fashion. Having achieved a certain notoriety, his pieces are now on sale in stores such as Opening Ceremony in New York, Broken Arm in Paris, Gago in Aix-en-Provence and Dover Street Market in London. In 2014, he designed a collection for La Redoute. In 2015, he received the Special Jury Prize at the LVMH Prize, for a presentation he cooperated with the german artist Sebastian Bieniek, an international competition created by Delphine Arnault for young fashion designers.
In 2017, Jacquemus added a line of footwear to his collections. He also announced in 2018 that he would be designing menswear in the future. In addition to shoes, Jacquemus also designs handbags and hats.
- Yaeger, Lynn (17 January 2018). "How Jacquemus Is Taking The Fashion World By Storm". Vogue.
- Björk, Daniel (27 September 2016). "Jacquemus: Bigger Than You Think". Business of Fashion.
- "Jacquemus by Simon Porte Jacquemus". LVMH Prize.
- Pellegrino, Alessandra (22 March 2012). "Jacquemus". Vogue Italia.
- "ART IN FASHION: JACQUEMUS A/I 15-16 + SEBASTIAN BIENIEK". RedMilk. 19 March 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Diderich, Joelle (20 January 2016). "Ten of Tomorrow: Simon Porte Jacquemus". Women's Wear Daily.
- Yotka, Steff (18 December 2017). "The Wildest, Weirdest, Most Wonderful Shoes of 2017". Vogue.
- Diderich, Joelle (26 February 2018). "Simon Porte Jacquemus to Unveil Men's Line". Women's Wear Daily.
- Satenstein, Liana (9 April 2018). "Justin Bieber Takes a Page From Jacquemus and Wears a Really Large Hat". Vogue.
- Anastasiou, Zoe (25 April 2018). "How Jacquemus Is Quickly Becoming The Go-To Designer For All Your Favourite Celebrities". Harper's Bazaar.
- Szmydke, Paulina (26 March 2014). "LVMH Prize Finalist: Simon Porte Jacquemus for Jacquemus". Women's Wear Daily.
- Hartman, Eviana (7 May 2015). "A Cheeky Peek Into the Life of Simon Porte Jacquemus". New York Times.