SimilarWeb is an online competitive intelligence tool for businesses that offers its customers insights into both their own and competitor's website traffic volume; referral sources, including keyword analysis; and website "stickiness" (e.g., time on site, page views, bounce rate), among other features.
|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Digital Market Intelligence|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Industry||Advertising, Information technology|
The company was founded in 2007 by Or Offer in Tel-Aviv, Israel. By 2009 SimilarWeb won the first Israeli SeedCamp, attracting the attention of international media and investors. The company raised its Series A round of $1.1 million with the investment being led by Yossi Vardi, and Docor International Management. SimilarSites, a browser extension to help users find sites similar to those they are visiting, was launched later that year.
On September 24, 2013, the company closed a $6 million Series B round led by David Alliance, Moshe Lichtman with the participation of existing investor Docor International Management. On February 24, 2014, South Africa media giant Naspers invested $18 million into SimilarWeb and leading their Series C round. Within a month, SimilarWeb used a part of the capital for the acquisition of Israeli early-stage company TapDog for a few million dollars in shares and cash, less than a year after TapDog was founded. In November 2014 raised $15 million in a series D investment. In July 2015, SimilarWeb acquired personalized content discovery platform developer Swayy.
On December 10, 2015, SimilarWeb announced it had acquired Quettra, a Silicon Valley-based mobile intelligence startup, to boost its mobile operations., Quettra provided personalization tools for developers in return for detailed mobile telemetry data.
In July 2017, the company announced a $47 million round of financing led by Viola Growth, Saban Ventures with participation from CE Ventures and existing investors.
- "SimilarWeb organization". CrunchBase. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Series A funding". TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series B additional funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Docor International Management". VentureDeal. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series C funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "TapDog Acquisition". Globes Inc. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Sarah Perez (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup Raises $2.5 Million To Take On Alexa's (Often Terrible) Web Rankings With Its New SimilarWeb Service". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Rebecca Grant (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup takes new funding to take on Alexa". VentureBeat. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Web traffic analytics co SimilarWeb acquires Swayy - Globes". Globes (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Digital Measurement Service SimilarWeb Acquires Content Discovery Platform Swayy – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Quettra Acquisition". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Analytics company SimilarWeb acquires mobile intelligence startup Quettra for $10M+". VentureBeat. 2015-12-10. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "SimilarWeb raises $47 million to grow its web and app analytics platform globally". VentureBeat. 2017-07-25. Retrieved 2018-06-26.