SimilarWeb is a website which provides web analytics services for businesses. The company offers its customers information on their clients' and competitors' website traffic volumes; referral sources, including keyword analysis; and website "stickiness" (e.g., time on site, page views, bounce rate), among other features.
|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Industry||Advertising, Information technology|
Like Alexa Internet, it extrapolates data from a panel of web users who allow to monitor their internet activity, combined with direct observations for a subset of internet properties, such as websites' own traffic statistics. In 2019, it claimed to have the world's largest panel, with hundreds of millions users.
The company was founded in 2007 by Or Offer in Tel-Aviv, Israel. By 2009 SimilarWeb won the first Israeli SeedCamp, attracting the attention of international media and investors. The company raised its Series A round of $1.1 million with the investment being led by Yossi Vardi, and Docor International Management. SimilarSites, a browser extension to help users find sites similar to those they are visiting, was launched later that year.
On September 24, 2013, the company closed a $6 million Series B round led by David Alliance, Moshe Lichtman with the participation of existing investor Docor International Management. On February 24, 2014, South Africa media giant Naspers invested $18 million into SimilarWeb and leading their Series C round. Within a month, SimilarWeb used a part of the capital for the acquisition of Israeli early-stage company TapDog for a few million dollars in shares and cash, less than a year after TapDog was founded. In November 2014 raised $15 million in a series D investment. In July 2015, SimilarWeb acquired personalized content discovery platform developer Swayy.
On December 10, 2015, SimilarWeb announced it had acquired Quettra, a Silicon Valley-based mobile intelligence startup, to boost its mobile operations. Quettra provided personalization tools for developers in return for detailed mobile telemetry data.
In July 2017, the company announced a $47 million round of financing led by Viola Growth, Saban Ventures with participation from CE Ventures and existing investors.
- "Our Data".
- "SimilarWeb organization". CrunchBase. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Series A funding". TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series B additional funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Docor International Management". VentureDeal. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Series C funding". CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "TapDog Acquisition". Globes Inc. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Sarah Perez (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup Raises $2.5 Million To Take On Alexa's (Often Terrible) Web Rankings With Its New SimilarWeb Service". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Rebecca Grant (29 January 2013). "SimilarGroup takes new funding to take on Alexa". VentureBeat. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Web traffic analytics co SimilarWeb acquires Swayy - Globes". Globes (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Digital Measurement Service SimilarWeb Acquires Content Discovery Platform Swayy – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Quettra Acquisition". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Analytics company SimilarWeb acquires mobile intelligence startup Quettra for $10M+". VentureBeat. 2015-12-10. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "SimilarWeb raises $47 million to grow its web and app analytics platform globally". VentureBeat. 2017-07-25. Retrieved 2018-06-26.