Shawn Michael Armstrong (born September 11, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Cleveland Indians and the Seattle Mariners.
Armstrong with the Baltimore Orioles in 2019
|Baltimore Orioles – No. 43|
|Born: September 11, 1990|
New Bern, California
|August 8, 2015, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 18, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.24|
Armstrong attended West Craven High School in Vanceboro, North Carolina. The Houston Astros selected Armstrong in the 33rd round of the 2008 MLB draft, but he did not sign. He then enrolled at East Carolina University (ECU), where he played college baseball for the ECU Pirates. He missed the 2009 season after having shoulder surgery, and finished his collegiate career with a 4-3 win–loss record and a 4.45 earned run average (ERA).
Minor league careerEdit
The Cleveland Indians selected Armstrong in the 18th round of the 2011 MLB draft. In 2012, Armstrong pitched for the Carolina Mudcats of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League. He was named a Carolina League All-Star. He ended the year with a 2.06 ERA. He missed the beginning of the 2013 with an injury, and had a 4.14 ERA on the season after he returned to health. In 2014, he pitched for the Akron RubberDucks of the Class AA Eastern League. He was named an Eastern League All-Star. After the 2014 season, the Indians added Armstrong to their 40-man roster. Armstrong pitched for the Columbus Clippers of the Class AAA International League in 2015, and was named to the Triple-A All-Star Game.
Armstrong was called up to the major leagues for the first time on August 8, 2015. Armstrong made his major league baseball debut the same night pitching a scoreless 9th inning with striking out two.
On December 13, 2017, the Indians traded Armstrong to the Seattle Mariners for international bonus pool money. On March 18, 2019, Armstrong was placed on the disabled list with a oblique injury. Armstrong was designated for assignment on April 26.
- Jordan Honeycutt, Sun Journal Staff. "BASEBALL: Armstrong ready to pitch after setback". newbernsj.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "Getting to know your prospects: Shawn Armstrong". FOX Sports. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Howard, Armstrong added to fold before deadline". www.ohio.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Woodward, Ronnie (June 18, 2012). "Armstrong relishing setup man role". The Daily Reflector. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Ryan Lewis. "RubberDucks: Pitcher Shawn Armstrong learns from All-Star Game experience". www.ohio.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Shawn Armstrong a big bullpen key for Akron RubberDucks -- Cleveland Indians Class AA Insider". cleveland.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "Indians fill out 40-man roster". FOX Sports. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Massie, Jim (July 15, 2015). "Clippers' Armstrong gets last-minute All-Star invite". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Indians Promote Armstrong & Almonte from AAA". Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- "Minnesota Twins VS Cleveland Indians". ESPN.com. ESPN Inc.(The Walt Disney Company, 80% Hearst Corporation, 20%). Retrieved August 8, 2015.