Serum Institute of India
Serum Institute of India is a manufacturer of immunobiological drugs including vaccines in India. It was founded by Cyrus Poonawalla in 1966. The company is a subsidiary of the holding company Poonawalla Investment and Industries.
Serum Institute of India
|Founder||Cyrus S. Poonawalla|
|Headquarters||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Adar Poonawalla (President)|
|Revenue||US$595 million (2015)|
|US$295 million (2015)|
|Subsidiaries||Vakzine Projekt Management GmbH, Bilthoven Biologicals BV|
The company is the world's largest vaccine producer by number of doses produced. The company produces around 130 crore (1.3 billion) doses of vaccines each year. The products developed include tuberculosis vaccine Tubervac (BCG), Poliovac for poliomyelitis, and other vaccinations for the childhood vaccination schedule.  
As of 2009, the institute was developing an intranasal swine flu vaccine. In 2016, with support from US-based Mass Biologics of University of Massachusetts Medical School, it invented a fast-acting anti-rabies agent, Rabies Human Monoclonal Antibody (RMAb), also known as Rabishield.
COVID-19 vaccine developmentEdit
The company has tied up with pharma firm AstraZeneca, which is developing a vaccine named ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 in partnership with Oxford University. It is reported that Serum Institute would provide 10 crore (100 million) doses of the vaccine in India and other low and middle-income countries. It is estimated to be priced at ₹225 (around $3) per dose. In September 2020, trials were halted by DGCI after a volunteer in Oxford developed illness following a dosage, but were soon resumed after consent by the British regulators.
They have also reached an agreement with Novavax for the development and commercialisation of Novavax’s NVX-CoV2373 COVID‑19 vaccine candidate in India and other low and middle-income countries.
- "Profile". www.vpm-consult.com. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Bilthoven Biologicals acquired by Serum Institute of India". www.thepharmaletter.com. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd.: Private Company Information". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "SERUM INSTITUTE OF INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED - Company, directors and contact details". zaubacorp.com. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "About Us". Serum Institute of India. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Poonawalla Investments AND Industries Private Limited Information - Poonawalla Investments AND Industries Private Limited Company Profile, Poonawalla Investments AND Industries Private Limited News on The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Cyrus Poonawalla on Forbes Lists". Forbes. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Serum Institute Tubervac (BCG)". Serum Institute of India. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "Serum Institute Poliovac". Serum Institute of India. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "Vaccination Schedule". Vaccination as per the National Immunization schedule by Government of India. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "India developing indigenous swine flu vaccine". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Kulkarni, Prasad S.; Raut, Sidram K.; Dhere, Rajeev M. (27 October 2014). "A post-marketing surveillance study of a human live-virus pandemic influenza A (H1N1) vaccine (Nasovac ®) in India". Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 9 (1): 122–124. doi:10.4161/hv.22317. PMID 23442586.
- "Fast-acting anti-rabies drug set for India launch - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- Kulkarni, Prasad S.; Sahai, Ashish; Gunale, Bhagwat; Dhere, Rajeev M (3 March 2017). "Development of a new purified vero cell rabies vaccine (Rabivax-S) at the serum institute of India Pvt Ltd". Expert Review of Vaccines. 16 (4): 303–311. doi:10.1080/14760584.2017.1294068. PMID 28276304.
- Unnikrishnan, C. H. (4 July 2012). "Serum Institute buys Bilthoven Biologicals". Livemint. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- "AstraZeneca & Serum Institute of India sign licensing deal for 1 million doses of Oxford vaccine". The Economic Times. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "Covid-19 vaccine: Serum Institute signs up for 100 million doses of vaccines for India, low and middle-income countries". The Financial Express. 7 August 2020.
- Banerjee, Shoumojit (7 July 2020). "Oxford COVID-19 vaccine at least 6 months away from launch: Serum Institute CEO". The Hindu.
- "Coronavirus (Covid-19) vaccine latest update: Oxford-AstraZeneca corona vaccine production starts; US says 2 billion doses 'ready to go'". The Indian Express. 10 June 2020.
- "Serum Institute of India to provide Covid-19 vaccines through COVAX at Rs 225 a dose". The Indian Express. 7 August 2020.
- Sharma, Milan. "Serum Institute halts coronavirus vaccine trials in India after notice from DCGI over volunteer's illness in UK". India Today. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "Oxford vaccine trial paused as participant falls ill". BBC News. 9 September 2020. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- Ghosh, Poulomi (12 September 2020). "Serum Institute to resume Covid-19 vaccine trial after DGCI gives nod". Hindustan Times.
- "Serum Institute, Novavax in covid vaccine deal, may produce 100 crore doses". Livemint. 7 August 2020.
- "Novavax signs COVID-19 vaccine supply deal with India's Serum Institute". Reuters. 5 August 2020.