Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute
|Director||Dr. Debamitra Mitra|
|Campus||Urban 40 acre|
The institute was established in 1995, and registered as a Society on 18 August 1995 under the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961 and currently is an autonomous society funded by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India.
It has been named after the acclaimed film director, Satyajit Ray. SRFTI is the premier institute of India for film training which stands inline with Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) for its quality of education and reputation in the Indian film industry and a member of CILECT (International Liaison Centre of Schools of Cinema and Television), an organization of the world's leading schools of film and television. In 2014, the NDA government proposed to give 'Centre of National Excellence' status to SRFTI.
The institute has been in the news multiple times for unaddressed issues of sexual harassment. The first noted instance was in 2015 where a student allegedly tried to commit suicide  after a professor allegedly raped her. In 2017 students protested en masse alleging harassment and "moral policing" In 2018, another student complained about sexual harassment  and media reported mismanagement of the case. 
The institute is governed by an autonomous body with Governing Council, Standing Finance Committee and an Academic Council. The institute is under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India.
It has the following departments in the Film Wing:
- Department of Direction & Screenplay Writing
- Department of Sound Recording
- Department of Editing
- Department of Cinematography
- Department of Producing for Film & Television
- Department of Animation Cinema
and the following departments in the Electronic & Digital Media Wing :
- Department of Electronic and Digital Media Management
- Department of Writing for Electronic and Digital Media
- Department of Producing for Electronic and Digital Media
- Department of Cinematography for Electronic and Digital Media
- Department of Editing for Electronic and Digital Media
- Department of Sound for Electronic and Digital Media
- Cinema of India
- Bhartendu Natya Academy
- Film and Television Institute of India
- State Institute of Film and Television
- Government Film and Television Institute
- K. R. Narayanan National Institute of Visual Science and Arts
- M.G.R. Government Film and Television Training Institute
- Jyoti Chitraban Film and Television Institute
- Biju Patnaik Film and Television Institute of Odisha
- Short films
- 3 On a Bed
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India Official website.
- "Budget 2014: 'Centre of National Excellence' status to FTII, SRFTI". economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved February 2015. Check date values in:
- "'Your SRFTI is a sexual harassment zoo': Chilling note from Kolkata Film Institute student before she attempted suicide". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- "Sexual Harassment Complaint At Satyajit Ray Film And Television Institute In Kolkata". NDTV.com. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- "SRFTI students allege harassment, moral policing by institute". DNA India. 23 October 2017. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- "Sexual Harassment Complainants at Kolkata Film Institute Face Growing Hostility". The Wire. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- "'SRFTI, I Won't Let Go,' Says Student Alleging Sexual Harassment". The Quint. 14 June 2019. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
|This article about a university or college in West Bengal, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|