Santiago "Santi" Vila i Vicente (born 15 March 1973) is a Catalan historian and politician from Granollers, Spain. He is a member of the Catalan European Democratic Party, and was a councillor at Figueres from 1999 before becoming mayor from 2007 to 2012.
Vila's official portrait
|Mayor of Figueres|
Santiago Vila i Vicente
March 15, 1973
Granollers, Catalonia, Spain
|Political party||Catalan European Democratic Party|
|Occupation||Politician and historian|
On 2 November 2017 members of the Generalitat de Catalunya were arrested for sedition, unlike the others Vila was offered bail of €50,000 as he had resigned before the Catalan unilateral declaration of independence. He was pre-trial jailed just a night. The trial began on 12 February 2019 and was remitted to decision on 12 June 2019.
Vila is divorced and openly gay.
- "Santi Vila, consejero de Empresa y Conocimiento". Generalitat de Cataluña (in Spanish). Generalitat de Cataluña. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Newton, Creede. "Catalonia: Judge jails eight ousted ministers". www.aljazeera.com. Aljazeera. Retrieved 2 November 2017..
- Trial of Catalan Independence Leaders Ends in Spain
- Catalan separatist leaders handed jail terms for independence bid
- Sentencia del ‘procés’: penas de 9 a 13 años para Junqueras y los otros líderes por sedición y malversación (in Spanish)
- "Santi Vila: así es el lado más personal del verso suelto del "procés", divorciado y gay". El Mundo (in Spanish). 4 November 2017.