Sangathamizhan (transl. Ancient Tamilian) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language action drama comedy film written and directed by Vijay Chandar. The film stars Vijay Sethupathi in dual roles for the first time and also Nivetha Pethuraj and Raashi Khanna in the main female lead roles while Soori, Nassar, Ravi Kishan, and Ashutosh Rana play pivotal roles. The music is composed by Vivek-Mervin, and cinematography was handled by R. Velraj. Principal photography reportedly commenced during February 2019 in Hyderabad. It is getting released as "Vijay Sethupathi" in Telugu. The film released on 15 November 2019 mixed to negative reviews.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vijay Chandar|
|Produced by||Bharathi Reddy|
|Written by||Vijay Chandar|
|Edited by||Praveen K. L.|
|Distributed by||Libra Productions|
|15 November 2019 (India)|
Murugan (Vijay Sethupathi) is a happy-go-lucky youngster and aspiring actor in Chennai who mostly roams around with his sidekick, Soori (Soori). One day, Murugan met Kamalini (Raashi Khanna), who is the daughter of the top industrialist of the city itself, Sanjay (Ravi Kishan). The relationship between the two started off sour, but later became romantic. Sanjay initially plans to finish off Murugan, when having found out his relationship with Kamalini. But, to his shock, he finds that Murugan looks exactly like one of his old enemies, Sangathamizhan (another Vijay Sethupathi).
Many years earlier, Sangathamizhan and his family including his lover and cousin, Thenmozhi (Nivetha Pethuraj) stopped the launch of Sanjay’s copper factory in their village due to the toxic effects on the villagers caused by the waste from the factory. In retaliation, Sanjay killed Sangathamizhan and his family with the help of Kulandaivel (Ashutosh Rana), who is a fellow politician and the former best friend of Sangathamizhan's father during a festival. Now at the present, Sanjay strikes a deal with Murugan and asks him to act as Sangathamizhan so that he can help him to establish the copper factory in the village.
It is eventually later revealed that Murugan is actually Sangathamizhan, alive and well. He had survived the explosion that annihilated his family and is hell-bent on avenging their deaths by killing Sanjay. Sangathamizhan comes to Sanjay's base where he fights Sanjay and Kulandaivel, ultimately emerging successful. The film ends with the copper factory sealed shut by the court and in an interview with the press, he says that as long as all the villagers are united, anything is possible to achieve.
- Vijay Sethupathi as Sangathamizhan (Murugan)
- Nivetha Pethuraj as Thenmozhi
- Raashi Khanna as Kamalini
- Soori as Soori
- Nassar as Devaraj
- Ravi Kishan as Sanjay
- Ashutosh Rana as Kulandaivel
- Mime Gopi as Gopi
- Sriman as Venkatesh
- Soundararaja as Murugan
- Kalloori Vinoth as Muthu
- John Vijay
- Ramya Subramanian
- Madhan Bob
- Ramji as Special appearance
- Raju Sundaram as Special appearance in the song "Oh My God"
- Vijay Chander as Special appearance in the song "Oh My God"
The film directed by Vijay Chandar marks his third directorial venture after Vaalu and Sketch both of them being regarded as average collection in box office. The filming began during February 2019 and the first schedule wrapped up in the city of Hyderabad. Two female leads Nivetha Pethuraj and Raashi Khanna were roped in by the filmmakers and thus the duo make their first collaboration with Vijay Sethupathi. The second schedule of the film concluded in Pondicherry as of early April 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||26 October 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Singles from Sangathamizhan|
D. Imman was initially speculated to compose music for the film, but he was replaced by Vivek-Mervin, collaborating with actor Vijay Sethupathi and director Vijay Chandar for the first time. The album features six tracks, lyrics for the songs were written by Viveka, Madhan Karky, Ku. Karthik and Prakash Francis. The audio rights of the film was secured by Sony Music India. The first single "Kamala" was released on 24 August 2019 sung by Vivek Siva and Sanjana Kalmanje. The second single "Sandakari Neethan" was released on 15 September 2019 sung by Anirudh Ravichander, Jonita Gandhi and Mervin Solomon. The third single track "Azhagu Azhagu" and the full tracklist was released on 25 October 2019. The complete soundtrack album was launched on 26 October 2019 at the office of Sun TV Network, Chennai.
Behindwoods rated the album 2.75 out of 5, and stated "Vivek-Mervin duo has delivered the variety that will appeal to the mass and melody song listeners." Moviecrow also gave the same rating and stated that "Sangathamizhan is another minimum guarantee soundtrack from Vivek Mervin and though the soundtrack has nothing extraordinary to offer, it has its occasional sparks." A review from The Times of India stating that "The soundtrack checks all the boxes of a typical Tamil entertainer, only a few are off the beaten path."
Despite the album received mixed reviews, the song "Kamala" was liked by music listeners and turned out to become an instant hit.
|1.||"Kamala"||Ku. Karthik||Vivek Siva, Sanjana Kalmanje||3:59|
|2.||"Sandakari Neethan"||Prakash Francis||Anirudh Ravichander, Jonita Gandhi, Mervin Solomon||4:10|
|3.||"Azhagu Azhagu"||Madhan Karky||Swetha Mohan, Mervin Solomon||4:53|
|4.||"Oh My God"||Viveka||Nakash Aziz||3:46|
|5.||"Maaradha"||Madhan Karky||Shankar Mahadevan||4:03|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||9 November 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
The album of the film's dubbed Telugu version titled Vijay Sethupathi was released on 9 November 2019. Lyrics for the songs were written by Vennelakanti and Rakendu Mouli.
|1.||"Oh My God"||Rakendu Mouli||Aravind Srinivas||3:39|
|2.||"Kallathone"||Rakendu Mouli||Harini Inturi||4:49|
|3.||"Kamala"||Rakendu Mouli||Deepak Blue, Shanthi Chaganti||3:59|
|4.||"Inkem Korika"||Vennelakanti||Sai Sharan||3:51|
|6.||"Sannajaji Nuvve"||Rakendu Mouli||Deepthi, Sarath Santhosh||3:56|
- Agatheeswaran (19 April 2019). "Sanga Tamizhan Tamil Movie (2019) Cast | Teaser | Trailer | Release Date". News Bugz. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Sangathamizhan: Vijay Sethupathi wraps up the Pondicherry schedule of his next with director Vijay Chandar". in.com. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Vijay Sethupathi teams up with 'Sketch' director Vijay Chandar". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's next titled Sanga Tamizhan?". www.deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Nivetha Pethuraj, Raashi Khanna in talks for Vijay Sethupathi's next". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- @VijayaProdn (29 January 2019). "Music will be scored by young rockstars @iamviveksiva @MervinJSolomon. Get ready for the musical treat of 2019. #Productionno6 #VVV @vijayfilmaker @VijaySethuOffl" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's next titled Sanga Tamizhan". Sify. 8 May 2019. Retrieved 18 September 2019.
- @VijayaProdn (24 August 2019). "A perfect dance number for the year 2019 , here it is #Kamala first single from #SangaThamizhan! Get ready for the powerful moves" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @VijayaProdn (13 September 2019). "Here it is the Exclusive video song ,2nd single of #SangaThamizhan #SandakariNeethan in vocals of @anirudhofficial & @jonitamusic" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SonyMusicSouth (15 September 2019). "Presenting the official tracklist of @VijaySethuOffl 's #SangaThamizhan , a @iamviveksiva - @MervinJSolomon musical!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Sangathamizhan (aka) Sanga Tamizhann songs review". Behindwoods. 14 November 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Sanga Thamizhan Music Review". www.moviecrow.com. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Music Review: Sangathamizhan - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's Sangathamizhan song Kamala Kalasa video out now". Behindwoods. 26 November 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Sangathamizhan Official Teaser - Vijay Sethupathi, Raashi Khanna, Nivetha Pethuraj - Vijay Chandar". YouTube. Sony Music South. 14 August 2019.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's Sangathamizhan out of Diwali race and may release in November". BehindWoods. 11 October 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Official release date of Vijay Sethupathi's Sangathamizhan is here". BehindWoods. 21 October 2019. Retrieved 22 October 2019.