Sandwell and Dudley railway station
Sandwell and Dudley railway station is on the Birmingham Loop of the West Coast Main Line, on the outskirts of Oldbury town centre on Bromford Lane (the main route towards West Bromwich, West Midlands), England. The name of the station is somewhat misleading; the station is actually located between West Bromwich and Oldbury, and not near Dudley. The nearest station to the town of Dudley is actually Dudley Port.
|Sandwell and Dudley|
|Local authority||Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell|
|Managed by||West Midlands Railway|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Transport for West Midlands|
|1852||Opened as Oldbury and Bromford Lane|
|1983||Rebuilt and renamed Sandwell and Dudley|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
It was originally opened as 'Oldbury' in 1852 and was one of two stations in the town. The more centrally located Great Western Railway Oldbury was located on the site of the bingo hall opposite the Sainsburys supermarket and was the only station on the GWR's Oldbury Branch Line from Langley Green.
However, in 1984 it was rebuilt and equipped with longer platforms capable of handling long-distance intercity trains.
Current Services are as follows:
- 2tph West Midlands Railway stopping services each to Wolverhampton and Walsall via Birmingham New Street and Aston.
- 1tph West Midlands Railway services each to Birmingham New Street and to Shrewsbury calling at all stations between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury.
- 1tph Avanti West Coast services - one to either Glasgow Central or Edinburgh Waverley (alternate hours) via Crewe & Preston and the other to London Euston via Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International, Coventry and Milton Keynes Central. At peak times additional services start/terminate at Wolverhampton.
Both platforms have lifts, making the station fully accessible to people in wheelchairs.
- GB eNRT May 2016 Edition, Table 68
- GB eNRT May 2016 Edition, Table 74
- GB National Rail Timetable May 2016 Edition, Tables 65 & 66
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandwell and Dudley railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Birmingham New Street||Avanti West Coast
West Coast Main Line
|West Midlands Railway
|Smethwick Galton Bridge||West Midlands Railway
|London Northwestern Railway