Sandra Mackey (née Sherman; September 13, 1937 – April 19, 2015) was an American writer on Middle Eastern culture and politics.
|Born||September 13, 1937
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
|Died||April 19, 2015
|Alma mater||University of Central Oklahoma (BA)
University of Virginia (MA)
|Notable work||Lebanon: Death of a Nation|
Early life and educationEdit
Mackey taught political science at Georgia State University. She served as a visiting scholar in the Woodrow Wilson Department of Government and Foreign Affairs at the University of Virginia. Her writings appeared in such periodicals as the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, and Christian Science Monitor.
In addition to appearing on NPR, Nightline, ABC News with Peter Jennings and the BBC, she served as a commentator on the first Gulf War for CNN. Her book Lebanon: Death of a Nation was named to the New York Times list of Notable Books of 1989.
Mackey died on April 19, 2015, aged 77. She and her husband, Dan, had a son, Colin, who survives his mother.
Books written by Sandra Mackey include:
- The Saudis: Inside the Desert Kingdom, W. W. Norton and Co., New York, 1987; ISBN 0-395-41165-3.
- Lebanon: Death of a Nation, W.W. Norton and Co., New York, 1989; ISBN 0-393-32843-0.
- Passion and Politics: The Turbulent World of the Arabs, Penguin Group, New York, 1992; ISBN 0-525-93499-5
- The Iranians: Persia, Islam and the Soul of a Nation, Penguin Group, New York, 1996; ISBN 0-452-27563-6
- The Reckoning: Iraq and the Legacy of Saddam Hussein, W. W. Norton, New York, 2003; ISBN 0-393-32428-1
- Lebanon: a House Divided, W. W. Norton, New York, 2006; ISBN 0-393-32843-0
- Mirror of the Arab World: Lebanon in Conflict, W. W. Norton, New York, 2008; ISBN 978-0-393-06218-2
- "Obituary: Sandra Mackey". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Tributes.com. April 20, 2015. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- "Mackey, Sandra 1937-". Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Richard Griffiths and Holly Yan, CNN (April 20, 2015). "Famed Middle East writer Sandra Mackey dies". CNN. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- Lecture at University of California Santa Barbara (introduction), ihc.ucsb.edu; accessed April 21, 2015.
- Booknotes interview with Mackey on The Reckoning: Iraq and the Legacy of Saddam Hussein, July 7, 2002; accessed April 21, 2015.
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|