Samsung Galaxy R
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy R Style|
|Related||Samsung Galaxy S II|
|Dimensions||125.3 mm (4.93 in) H|
66.1 mm (2.60 in) W
9.5 mm (0.37 in) D
|Mass||135 g (4.8 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android 2.3.5 "Gingerbread" with TouchWiz UI 4.0|
Current: Android 4.0.4 "Ice Cream Sandwich"
Unofficial: Android 4.4 "KitKat" via OmniROM
|CPU||1 GHz dual-core Nvidia Tegra 250 AP20H SoC processor Ventana|
|GPU||GeForce ultra-low power (ULP)|
|Memory||1 GB RAM|
|Storage||8 GB flash memory|
|Removable storage||microSD (up to 32 GB)|
|Battery||Li-Ion 1650 mAh|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch touch screen, headset controls, proximity and ambient light sensors, 3-axis gyroscope, magnetometer, accelerometer, aGPS, and stereo FM-radio|
|Display||800×480 px, 10.8 cm (4.27 in) at 218 ppi WVGA Super CLEAR (LCD)|
|Rear camera||5 MP with auto focus, 720p 30 fps HD video recording and stills. Single LED flash.|
|Front camera||1.3 MP for video chatting, video recording (VGA), and stills|
|Connectivity||3.5 mm TRRS; Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n); Wi-Fi Direct; Bluetooth 3.0; Micro USB 2.0; DLNA;|
|Other||Exchange ActiveSync, integrated messaging Social Hub, Readers Hub, Music Hub, and Game Hub|
|SAR||Head: 0.26 W/kg 1 g|
Body: 0.42 W/kg 1 g
Hotspot: 0.417 W/kg 1 g
The phone has an issue wherein the phone will not be able to boot, even after a reset.
The Galaxy R features 1 GB of dedicated RAM and 8 GB of internal mass storage. Within the battery compartment there is an external microSD card slot.
The Samsung Galaxy R uses a 108.5-millimetre (4.27 in) WVGA Super CLEAR LCD (SC-LCD) capacitive touchscreen. It has a 4.2" 16 million colours screen, without using the Pentile matrix.
On the back of the device is a 5-megapixel camera with single LED flash that can record videos in high-definition 720p. There is also a fixed-focus front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video calling, taking photos as well as general video recording. The video recording has been criticized for the lack of focus.
GPRS: Class 33, EDGE: Class 33, HSDPA: 21 Mbit/s; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbit/s, WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, DLNA, Bluetooth: Yes, v3.0 with A2DP, EDR, USB: Yes, microUSB v2.0
Android 2.3 and 4.0Edit
- Android Jelly Bean 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3
Unofficial CM 10 (Android 4.1) and CM 10.2 (Android 4.3) is available for download at xda-developers.com. Many other unofficial custom ROMs: Paranoid Android, AOSP, MIUI, JellyBAM, Carbon ROM, Vanilla Rootbox, JellyBeer, Avatar, Resurrection Remix, LiquidSmooth, to name a few, are also available for download.
- Android KitKat 4.4
The phone employs the latest proprietary Samsung TouchWiz 4.0 user interface.
- Social Hub
- Which integrates popular social networking services like Facebook and Twitter into one place rather than in separate applications.
- Readers Hub
- This hub provides the ability to access, read and download online newspapers, ebooks and magazines from a worldwide selection.
- Music Hub
- An application store for downloading and purchasing music tracks on the device. Samsung has teamed up with 7digital to offer this service.
- Game Hub
- An application store for downloading and purchasing games. Samsung has teamed up with partners including Gameloft to offer this service.
- Other applications
- More applications include Kies 2.0, Kies Air, AllShare (for DLNA), Voice Recognition, Google Voice Translation, Google Maps with Latitude, Places, Navigation (beta) and Lost Phone Management, Adobe Flash 10.2, Polaris Office application and 'QuickType' by SWYPE.
The Galaxy R supports various audio formats including MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF audio formats and video formats support for MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV, DivX, Xvid, VC-1. Recording & Playback in up to 720p HD video files. Unlike the Exynos 4210 found in the Galaxy S II, the Tegra 2 has been found to not support 'high profile' encoded h.264 video. A recent kernel for ICS (developed by a xda developer) also enabled the mobile to support HDMI output support via micro USB to MHL cable..
Other phones with Tegra 2 SoC:
- "Samsung Announces the GALAXY S II, World's Thinnest Smartphone that Will Let You Experience More with Less". Samsung.com. 15 February 2011. Archived from the original on 20 August 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2014-01-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link), ID=1494900
- "AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy R Announced - A Tegra 2 Smartphone". AnandTech. 10 August 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Taiwan market: Samsung launches Galaxy R smartphone". DIGITIMES daily IT news. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "NVIDIA Tegra 2". Nvidia.com. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "Tegra Zone – Discover and Get the Best Games for Android and Tegra-Powered Devices". Nvidia.com. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Nvidia Tegra – The World's First Mobile Super Chip". Nvidia.com. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Android 3.0 Honeycomb to use NVIDIA Tegra 2 as reference platform". Mobile Magazine. 16 December 2010.
- Samsung Offers Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Upgrade for GALAXY devices
- "Cyanogen Mod under Development".
- PAC man ROM for Samsung Galaxy R i9103
- After Market Development for the Samsung Galaxy R i9103
- "Samsung Galaxy S2: what you need to know". TechRadar. 14 February 2011.
- YouTube - Samsung Kies Air Demo (Samsung Galaxy II)
- YouTube - Samsung Galaxy SII - Voice Translator Demo
- "Samsung Unveils Cheaper 'Galaxy R' Android Smartphone Powered by NVIDIA Tegra 2 Processor". Androidful. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Boxee Box ditches NVIDIA's Tegra 2 for Intel CE4100, pre-orders start today at $199". Engadget. 13 September 2010.
- "Samsung Galaxy SII (S2): Exynos 4210 VS Tegra 2 – Which Version Will Be Better". Inspired Geek. 13 March 2011.