سلام مچهلی شهری
|Born||1 July 1921|
|Died||19 November 1972 (aged 51)|
|Known for||Nazms, Ghazals, Journalist, Qat'aa|
Machhalishahari was born in Machhali Shahar, a city in District Jaunpur of Uttar Pradesh, on 1 July 1921. He was fluent in Urdu, Persian and English languages. He worked in the Urdu Service Department of the All India Radio, New Delhi. He died on 19 November 1972.
Many of Machhalishahari’s ghazals have been put to music and sung by Jagjit Singh. Machhalishahari also wrote sonnets in Urdu. He was actively associated with the Progressive Writers Movement. In his Marathi article "Geet Yatre", Madhav Moholkar asserted that Faiz Ahmed Faiz, Majaz, Jazbi, Salaam Machhalishahari, Sahir Ludhianvi and other poets had started a new era of progressive poetry in Urdu literature.
In 1996, the Urdu Academy published selected poems with the title Intekhab Salam Machhali Shehri ISBN 8171211011. A critical appraisal of his life and literary contributions is Aziz Indori's Salaam Machhalishahari – Shakhsiyat aur Funn.
- Intekhab Salam Machhali Shehri
- Urdu Authors: Date list as on 31-05-2006 – S.No.1772 – Salaam Machhalishahari> maintained by National Council for Promotion of Urdu, Govt. of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 March 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Muktak Aur Rubaian (in Hindi) by Sherjung Garg p.243 https://books.google.com/books?isbn=8170780985
- "Salam Machhli shahri - Profile & Biography". Rekhta. Retrieved 19 January 2020.
- Pratinidhi Shairy ( in Hindi ) p.17 https://books.google.com/books?isbn=8171197167
- Jagjit Singh's Album "Ecstasies" includes Salaam's poem "Bahut dinon ki baat hai" http://www.fundoozone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20708
- Hindi -"taraqipasand shayaron ko aap do-teen categories mein baant sakten hain.ek mein sardar jafri, kaifi azami aur niyaz haider taip shayar hain.doosari mein sahir ludhianavi aur salaam machhalishahari taip shayar hain." ( Progressive writers can be divided in two or three categories, in one are poets like Ali Sardar Jafri, Kaifi Azmi and Niyaz Haider, in the second are poets like Sahir Ludhianvi and Salaam Machhalishahari ) http://hindipatal.com/2011/04/26/निग़ाहों-के-साये
- http://www.hamaraforums/index.php?showtopic=26300&mode=threaded[permanent dead link]
- "Global Media Publications: Intekhab Salam Machhli Shehri". Gmpublications.com. 3 June 2005. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- http://www.indiaclub/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=7423[permanent dead link]
- (in Urdu) Archived 2011-10-09 at the Wayback Machine