Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃.t‿wɛ̃ syʁ sɛn] (listen), literally Saint-Ouen on Seine) is a commune in the Seine-Saint-Denis department in the Île-de-France region of France. It is located in the northern suburbs of Paris, 6.6 kilometres (4.1 miles) from the centre of Paris. The commune was officially called Saint-Ouen until 2018, when its name was changed by ministerial order.
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Karim Bouamrane|
|4.31 km2 (1.66 sq mi)|
|• Density||12,000/km2 (30,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The communes neighbouring Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine are Paris, to the south, Clichy, to the west, Villeneuve-la-Garenne, Gennevilliers and L'Île-Saint-Denis, to the north, and Saint-Denis to the east. The commune of Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine is part of the canton of Saint-Ouen, which also includes L'Île-Saint-Denis and part of Épinay-sur-Seine. Saint-Ouen also includes the Cimetière de Saint-Ouen.
On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris was enlarged by annexing neighbouring communes. On that occasion, a part of the commune of Saint-Ouen was annexed to the city of Paris. At the same time, the commune of La Chapelle-Saint-Denis was disbanded and divided between the city of Paris, Saint-Ouen, Saint-Denis, and Aubervilliers. Saint-Ouen received a small part of the territory of La Chapelle-Saint-Denis. The commune of Montmartre was also disbanded; the city of Paris annexed most of Montmartre, but Saint-Ouen did receive a small northern part of the territory of that commune.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine is home to Paris' flea market, the highest concentration of antique dealers and second-hand furniture dealers in the world. The flea market (marché aux puces) is held every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday; because of this high frequency, compared to other flea markets, it has tended to consist only of professionals who rent their spot for a minimum term of three years. In 2014 the flea market site was acquired by Jean-Cyrille Boutmy from Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster.
Schools and High SchoolsEdit
Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine has :
- 3 school groups of preschools and primary schools
- 9 pre-schools
- 8 primary schools
- 3 "collèges" (lower secondary schools)
- 2 High Schools/Sixth-form colleges
Further and higher educationEdit
Supméca, an accredited mechanical engineering school is located in the Vieux Saint Ouen quarter. It was created in 1948, is member of the university of Paris-Seine and now part of the ISAE Group, which has a total of 6000 students. One literary and humanities Classe préparatoire aux grandes écoles at Lycée Blanqui High School's premises.
- Jacques Gondouin (1737–1818), architect
- Alphonse Halimi (1932–2006), boxer
- Louis Stettner (1922–2016), American photographer of "everyday poetry"
- Dany Bill (b. 1973), seven-times Muaythai World champion.
- Benjamin Cuq (b. 1974), journalist-writer
- Abdoulaye Soumare (b. 1980), footballer
- Djimi Traore (b. 1980), footballer
- Richard Clayderman (b. 1953), pianist
- Tchavolo Schmitt (b. 1954), manouche swing guitarist (Porte de Montreuil and Chope des Puces)
The Stade de Paris (also called the Stade Bauer) is located in the town.
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 12 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- Décret n° 2018-956 5 November 2018 (in French)
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Saint-Ouen, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- "Traders at world's largest flea market in Paris celebrate as British aristocrat sells up". London Evening Standard.
- "Ecoles et accueils de loisirs." Saint-Ouen. Retrieved on September 4, 2016.
- "Jeunesse." Saint-Ouen. Retrieved on September 4, 2016.
- "Prepa-blanqui.fr - Homme Pas Cher- Acheter Chaussures Homme à Prix de Gros". www.prepa-blanqui.fr.
- "Nicole Lefort (Comitato sul Gemellaggio di Saint Ouen): 'Rafforzare i legami fra le città'". gemellarte.it (in Italian). Gemellarte. 2019-04-11. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine.|