Sabarigiri International Airport
Sabarigiri International Airport is a proposed airport project to be built for the Central Travancore as well as the Sabarimala Pilgrims at Cheruvally Estate in Manimala panchayath, Kanjirappally Taluk near Erumely of Kottayam district, Kerala in India. Kerala govt and Central Government of India, gave approval to construct airport for Sabarimala at Cheruvally Estate near Erumely. It is a table top plateau airport and with vast scope for further expansion. It also requires minimal capital and maintenance cost given strong soil and topography.
Sabarigiri International Airport
|Airport type||Private airport|
|Serves||Kottayam, Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha, Idukki, Kollam|
|Location||Manimala, near Erumely, Kottayam, Kerala, India|
The Sabarimala temple is situated on the Western Ghats in Kerala's Pathanamthitta district. One of India's holiest shrines, is 48 km from proposed Airport. Once commissioned, Sabari International Airport would be the fifth international airport in the State after Trivandrum International Airport, Calicut International Airport, Cochin International Airport and Kannur International Airport.
The Sabarigiri International Airport is the 5th International Airport to be proposed in Kerala. The government approved the project on 19 June 2017. The airport construction will begin immediately if court verdicts in favor of Government of Kerala.The ownership dispute regarding the Cheruvally estate is pending before the High Court. As per the settlement register, which is the basic revenue record, it is government land. It is proposed on a 2,263 acres (9.16 km2) of land at Erumely, Kottayam District 
The airport facilitates the travel of Sabarimala pilgrims and people of the adjacent districts. Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation is conducting the study of the airport. US infrastructure consulting firm with strong presence in Americas has been directed to submit report to ministry of environment and civil aviation regarding environmental effect as well as traffic potential including international traffic from Sri Lanka, Malaysia etc and get clearance within maximum June 2018.
The site for the proposed airport is Cheruvally Estate, formerly the site of a rubber plantation. Initially the estate belonged to Harrison plantations and later by the RPG Goenka group. Gospel for Asia, a Christian missionary under Believer's Church took it over from the Goenka group. Former secretaries and Raja Manicham found that the sale was not valid as there was no proper survey number and case is in court.
- "Sabarimala airport to come up on Cheruvally estate". The Hindu. 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Sabarimala Greenfield airport: Govt appoints panel". http://Kaumudi Global. 4 April 2017. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- "Cheruvally estate is government land, says CM Pinarayi Vijayan". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Kerala's next airport to come up in Kanjirappally | Kerala new airport | Kerala next airport | Sabarimala airport". English.manoramaonline.com. 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Kerala to set up airport in Kanjirapally to cater to Sabarimala hill shrine". The Financial Express. 2017-07-20. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Sabarimala airport: the century-old Cheruvally Estate was a British aerial discovery | Sabarimala airport | Cheruvally Estate | British aerial discovery | Erumely airport | Sabarimala pilgrims | Kerala". English.manoramaonline.com. 2017-07-20. Retrieved 2017-07-25.