|Subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment|
Computer and video games
|Headquarters||Bristol, England, United Kingdom|
(Founder and Director)
(Founder and Research Director)
SN-DBS (Distributed Build Server)
|Parent||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
The company was founded in 1990 by Martin Day and Andy Beveridge. Both directors have backgrounds of developing game console software development tools, such as SNASM and Psy-Q, at Cross Products and later Psygnosis.
SN Systems' long association with the PlayStation line of consoles began in 1993, when PlayStation manufacturer Sony acquired Psygnosis, who were publishing SN Systems' tools at the time. While Sony had provided MIPS R4000-based Sony NEWS workstations for PlayStation development, Psygnosis disliked the thought of developing on these expensive workstations and asked SN Systems to create a PC-based development system. At the 1994 Winter Consumer Electronics Show, Psygnosis arranged an audience for SN Systems with Sony's Japanese executives, and Sony were impressed enough with their development tools that they decided to abandon their plans for a workstation-based development system in favor of using SN Systems' development system exclusively.
In 1999, SN Systems won a Game Developer Magazine "Front Line Award" in the Programming Environment category for its Nintendo 64 development product called SN64. The company won again in 2005, this time for the ProDG for PSP suite.
Central to the SN Systems product line is the ProDG suite, comprising a compiler and integration with Microsoft Visual Studio, together with a debugger and additional build tools. SN Systems now may include its own SNC compiler with ProDG, rather than a derivative of the compiler provided by the console manufacturer (frequently a variant of GNU Compiler Collection).
- "The Development System". Next Generation. Imagine Media (6): 49–50. June 1995.
- "SN64 Nintendo64® Development Tools". parent frame. SN Systems. Archived from the original on June 14, 2002. Retrieved January 15, 2015.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Our History". SN Systems Ltd. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "1999 FRONT LINE AWARDS FINALISTS & WINNERS". Game Developer Magazine. Archived from the original on January 23, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- "2005 FRONT LINE AWARDS FINALISTS & WINNERS". Game Developer Magazine. Archived from the original on May 2, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO START PROVIDING PRODG TOOLS FOR PLAYSTATION ® 3 GAME CONTENT DEVELOPMENT" (PDF). Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 5, 2005. Retrieved September 27, 2005.
- "SN Systems expands to Ireland". Develop. Retrieved 3 September 2008.