Ryan Hampton (writer)
Ryan Hampton is an author, American political activist, and person in recovery from opioid addiction.
In August 2018, Hampton published his first book, "American Fix: Inside the Opioid Addiction Crisis-and How to End It" - published by St. Martin's Press/Macmillan Publishing. In American Fix, Hampton writes with candor about his experiences with what he calls a broken treatment system and outlines a political agenda for combatting the nation's addiction crisis.
Hampton has been a vocal opponent of President Donald Trump's border wall, arguing that Trump's immigration agenda is shifting focus backwards to a "War on Drugs" approach. He has advocated for safer recovery housing for addicts and for standards to end rogue sober homes in America.
In August 2018, Hampton led a 500-person protest against drugmaker Purdue Pharma for their role in the American opioid crisis. He has been at the forefront in calling for accountability from drug makers.
In January 2019, Hampton was the guest of U.S. House Democrats to President Trump's State of the Union speech, representing the addiction recovery advocacy movement.
In an effort to force the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to take action on the American addiction crisis, Hampton organized a rally in April 2019 and staged an 800-pound spoon at the headquarters of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Hampton, Ryan (August 28, 2018). American Fix: Inside the Opioid Addiction Crisis - and How to End It. St. Martin's Press. ISBN 9781250196279 – via Google Books.
- Hampton, Travis Lupick interviews Ryan. "No More About Us Without Us: A Conversation with Ryan Hampton". Los Angeles Review of Books.
- "How targeting big pharma can solve America's opioid crisis". MSNBC.com.
- "Trump's border wall won't solve addiction crisis — but finally targeting big pharma can". USA TODAY.
- "My friend overdosed in his recovery home, and no one was held accountable. That's about to change". USA TODAY.
- "Purdue Pharma grapples with growing protests". 2018-08-26.
- "Purdue Pharma, maker of OxyContin, settles opioids lawsuit in Oklahoma". March 26, 2019.
- CNN, Caroline Kelly. "Here are the guests members of Congress are bringing to the State of the Union". CNN.
- "Protestors slam FDA with claims it did too little on opioids". April 5, 2019.
- "The Denial Playbook: How Industries Manipulate Science and Policy from Climate Change to Public Health | The House Committee on Natural Resources". naturalresources.house.gov.
- "Hearing on "Combating the Opioid Crisis: Prevention and Public Health Solutions," Subcommittee on Health (March 21, 2018)". 2018-03-21.
- "Drug companies are paying hundreds of millions of dollars to settle opioid lawsuits. Spend it to treat addiction, experts say" from USA Today
- "Inside the Fight for Regulation as Rehab Centers Cash in on Patients" from Variety
- "No More About Us Without Us: A Conversation with Ryan Hampton" from LA Review of Books
- "'American Fix' And The Path Out Of The Opioid Epidemic" from Forbes