Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Main Street (US 221)
"A Minted Original" formerly: "Small-town Friendly"
Location of Rutherfordton, North Carolina
|• Total||4.12 sq mi (10.67 km2)|
|• Land||4.12 sq mi (10.67 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||965 ft (294 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||991.99/sq mi (383.03/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1022450|
Rutherfordton is concentrated around the intersection of U.S. Route 221 and North Carolina Highway 108. The town of Ruth borders Rutherfordton to the north, and the town of Spindale borders Rutherfordton to the east.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.2 square miles (10.8 km2), all of it land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,131 people, 1,602 households, and 1,047 families residing in the town. The population density was 990.1 people per square mile (382.5/km2). There were 1,765 housing units at an average density of 423.0 per square mile (163.4/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 84.17% White, 13.60% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.73% Asian, 0.73% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.28% of the population.
There were 1,602 households, out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.6% were non-families. 31.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 22.6% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,941, and the median income for a family was $47,381. Males had a median income of $34,592 versus $23,371 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,742. About 8.8% of families and 10.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.4% of those under age 18 and 12.6% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and cultureEdit
Sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places including: the Bechtler Mint Site, Carrier Houses, Fox Haven Plantation, Gilbert Town Historic District, George W. Logan House, Main Street Historic District, Rutherford County Courthouse, Rutherfordton-Spindale Central High School, St. Luke's Chapel, and Trinity Lutheran Church.
- Betsy Brantley, actress
- William T. Carpenter, psychiatrist who served as an expert witness in the trial of John W. Hinckley
- Walter H. Dalton, former Lieutenant Governor of North Carolina
- Gomer Hodge, former major league baseball player with the Cleveland Indians
- Joe English, Musician and former drummer for Paul McCartney and Wings
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rutherfordton, North Carolina.|