This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gangaa (also known as Sagar Ki Gangaa) is an Indian, Hindi-language, television soap opera that premiered on 2 March 2015 on &TV. The show ended on 2 June 2017 after 595 episodes. The show was produced by Sphere Origins and initially starred child actors Swar Hingonia as child Sagar and Ruhana Khanna as child Gangaa. When Gangaa and Sagar grew up, the child actors were replaced with Aditi Sharma and Vishal Vashishtha.
|Written by||Rajita Sharma |
|Creative director(s)||Shikha Vij|
|Starring||Aditi Sharma |
|Opening theme||Ganga Bahi Chali Jaye |
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||595|
|Executive producer(s)||Sumeet Dubey|
|Producer(s)||Sunjoy Waddhwa |
Comall S. Waddhwa
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Picture format||576i |
|Original release||2 March 2015 –|
2 June 2017
On 29 August 2016, on Janmashtami, Ruhana Khanna, who played child Gangaa, made her comeback as Gangaa and Sagar's daughter Krishna, eight months after being replaced by Aditi Sharma as grown up Gangaa.
On January 16, 2017, the show was revamped; the storyline and the entire cast including lead Vishal Vashishtha, who played the grown up Sagar, except Aditi Sharma who continued to play the role of Gangaa, changed. Shakti Anand was the new lead as Shiv opposite Sharma. The other actors left the show. In October 2018 the show aired on Zee World
The show revolves around a young child named Gangaa (Ruhana Khanna), who becomes a widow on the same day as her marriage when her husband and her father Varun Shukla (Raj Singh Verma), with whom she was very close, are killed in a riot in Varanasi. The show follows her struggle for her right to live happily, opposing the restrictions placed upon widows by society despite being at an age at which she did not know the meaning of marriage. She is adopted by Advocate Niranjan Chaturvedi (Hiten Tejwani) and his wife Madhvi (Gungun Uprari), who soon treat her like their own daughter and like their two other children Pulkit (Vedant Sawant) and Sagar (Swar Hingonia), despite the objection of Niranjan's mother, Kanta / Ammaji (Sushmita Mukherjee). Gangaa is raised by Ammaji who treated her like a widowed servant although she is also an ophan. Gangaa kis taught the ways a widow should live, much to her dislike. But she still loves Ammaji and never disobeyed her.
The story develops Gangaa's and Sagar's childhood friendship. One day, Sagar had to apply vermilion to Gangaa's forehead to save his life because he had a hole in his heart. Sagar and Gangaa are separated when Sagar moves to London to study in a boarding school. This was planned by Madhvi and Ammaji, who thought Sagar would be away from them if he continues living with Gangaa.
10 years laterEdit
Gangaa (Aditi Sharma) has grown up into a young adult and has been waiting for Sagar. Her love for him is implacable as she hides and adores vermilion, believing she is fulfilling her duty as Sagar's wife. Gangaa has always loved Sagar.
As Gangaa expresses her love for Sagar (Vishal Vashishtha), she is shocked to find he loves Janvi (Panchi Bora), who studied with Sagar in London . Gangaa is heartbroken. Slowly Sagar cares for her and finally he realises he loves Gangaa but it was too late as Janvi and Sagar had done roka and Gangaa could not accept Sagar's love. Sagar expresses his love by applying vermilion to her forehead. His family opposes this relationship because Gangaa is a widow whom they cannot let their son marry. Frustrated, Sagar on holiday puppies colour to Gangaa, saying that she is no more a widow and decides to marry Gangaa in court and then leave for Delhi. Meanwhile, Niranjan's eldest son, Pulkit (Abhishek Tewari) decides to have his share of property and splits the house into two. Niranjan cannot tolerate this and suffers a heart attack. He pleads with Gangaa to return Sagar to him. Gangaa agrees to give him his son. Sagar listens to this; he is angry because he thinks Gangaa used him and threw him away like a toy. Frustrated, Sagar marries Janvi; Gangaa tried to stop him but he does not listen to her. At night, Sagar realises he had done wrong but Gangaa did not accept her love because Sagar was married. Gangaa then meets a lawyer named Palash (Sarwar Ahuja) and decides to join an internship under him. Meanwhile, Sagar and Janvi relationship gets worse because he does not love her. Palash develops feelings for Gangaa and by Sagar's insistence he takes Gangaa to a shop to select bridal clothes for her and then tells her he loves her and his mother wants her to be her Daughter-in-law(DIL). Gangaa is shocked and says she cannot because she still loves Sagar. Meanwhile, Yash (Akash Gill) insists Janvi to take more drugs, which result to her death. Afraid, Yash hangs Janvi's body from a ceiling fan to make it look like a suicide, and leaves a suicide note written by Janvi under Yash's pressure that Sagar is responsible for her death. Gangaa arrives home and Sagar hugs her and cries his heart out. The police come and find the letter and arrest the whole family except Gangaa.
Gangaa pleads with Palash to take Sagar's case; he asks him some questions and she says she loves Sagar and cannot live without him. Palash takes up the case and the family is bailed out except Sagar. As the case proceeds, Palash becomes negative and thinks of letting Sagar stay in jail so he and Gangaa could marry, so he starts hiding evidence. Gangaa and Sagar escape a witness from Palash's hands and he is sentenced to two years in jail. Sagar returns home after many problems; Ammaji agrees to Sagar and Gangaa's marriage but Prabha Mami mixes something into a drink and Sagar drinks it. Sagar, in a drunken state, comes very close to Gangaa. The next morning Sagar does not remember anything that happens between him and Gangaa. The marriage day comes; while taking the pheras, Gangaa collapses and it is revealed that she is pregnant. Sagar refuses to believe the child is his; he does not remember having sex with her. He questions Gangaa's character and says she had sex with another man. Disheartened, Gangaa leaves the house; she meets Rahat (Nausheen Ali Sardar), who takes care of poor, homeless girls. Gangaa joins her family. Rahat's daughter Zoya (Rucha Gujarathi) is raped and her husband is murdered by Rudra (Mohit Abrol / Deepak Wadhwa), a friend of Sagar. Sagar refuses to believe Rudra could do this. Later, it is believed Rahat and Niranjan were lovers in college and that Zoya was Niranjan's fake daughter, actually Zoya was the daughter of Dr. Sameer Mirza (Gaurav Khanna), Rahat's husband. Ammaji hid this secret from Niranjan because Rahat was from a different religion and she sent Niranjan to London for studies. After a long court-case drama, Zoya reveals to Rudra that she loves him, the rape charges are fake and she murdered her husband; Rudra records everything but it is deleted by Zoya. He somehow records the confession.
Rahat sees the confession and slaps her daughter, but Zoya tries to snatch a camera. In the resulting fight, Rahat slips and falls to her death from the terrace. Niranjan takes Zoya to his house, to which his wife does not agree. Sagar decides to leave the house with his mother and goes to London. Meanwhile, leap months have appeared and Gangaa gives birth to a baby girl on the day of Krishna Janmanashtri, and she named her Krishna. Niranjan also realises Gangaa was telling the truth that Sagar is Krishna's father. Gangaa decides to be both Krishna's mother and father.
After 7 yearsEdit
Gangaa brings up her and Sagar's daughter Krishna (Ruhana Khanna) alone. Sagar, who is unaware Krishna is his daughter, goes to Banaras on his dad insistence. In a jungle he comes across Krishna, who is lost, and takes care of her. Krishna is instantly attached to him. He knows she is Gangaa's daughter because she looks exactly like Gangaa. He takes her home without meeting Gangaa. One day, Sagar and Gangaa came across each other; Krishna recognises Sagar as the man who helped her in the jungle. She is pleased to see him back but Gangaa takes her home.
Sagar plans to leave Banaras whereas Gangaa cannot answer Krishna's question about her father. She herself sets out to find her father. She again comes across Sagar but collapses in his arms. She is rushed to hospital where Gangaa reveals that Krishna has a hole in her heart and it is genetic; Krishna's father had the same problem in childhood. Sagar is shocked and he asks Gangaa who is Krishna's father but she does not reply. Sagar refuses to go to London without finding answers. One day, in a temple, Yash takes Krishna to blackmail Gangaa that he will kill her daughter; he reveals that his mother mixed something in Sagar's drink, which is why he does not remember having sex with Gangaa. Sagar and family are shocked; Gangaa and Krishna go to their home. Sagar says sorry and asks for forgiveness but Gangaa does not budge and is not ready listen as Sagar questions her character but Sagar tells her he came for Krishna and asks Krishna to come with him but Gangaa stops Sagar. He then sends custody of Krishna, later it is followed by a long court case. Sagar wins the case as Krishna chooses Sagar as instructed by him. They somehow convince Gangaa to stay at a house for one week and they prove who loves Krishna more.
This is followed by some funny and cute challenges after one week. Krishna tells Sagar she has to write about a favourite family member; she writes about Sagar and speaks a beautiful speech in front of her school and family members. Gangaa is emotional and she plans to take Krishna to her village but Sagar comes and Krishna cries as she does not want to leave her father. Gangaa goes home Sagar plans to go to London; Gangaa is shocked to hear this but she does not stop him and he leaves. When Niranjan comes and he collapses, it is revealed that he has blood cancer. As according to Niranjan's wish, Gangaa and Sagar finally marry; on the night of the marriage Gangaa apologize to Sagar for her behaviour and not letting him forgive. After all the drama, Niranjan survives, which followed by a tale of conspiracy. Everything is going fine and Sagar is successful as Gangaa expresses her love for Sagar. Gangaa, Sagar and Krishna witness a major accident in a river when Gangaa lose her memory.Niranjan die due to shock of lost of Sagar and Gangaa
A man named Shiv Jha (Shakti Anand) saves Gangaa's life. He was marrying a girl called Gangaa, who was wearing the same saree that Gangaa was wearing. Shiv mistakes Sagar's Gangaa as his own Gangaa. Sagar tries to find Gangaa but Gangaa, as told by Shiv, goes to his house as his bride. After harsh treatment, Gangaa makes her own place and both Gangaa and Shiv started developing feelings for each other although some Shiv's family members are against this union for personal ambitions. Just then, Sagar arrives, finding Gangaa. He stays there for many days because he is injured. One day, Shiv sees Sagar's family and is shocked to see Gangaa there. Gangaa shows his face to Sagar and Sagar instantly recognizes his Gangaa. He forces Gangaa to go with him. Shiv finds out the truth and is shocked when he learns that Gangaa is actually Sagar's wife.
He returns Gangaa to him and on the way, some goons attack them and Gangaa's memory comes back. Shiv's brother Pratap (Dinesh Mehta) shoots Sagar in the chest; he was going to shoot Shiv but Sagar gets in between. He cries and pleads to Shiv for help. At the hospital, doctors cannot save Sagar, who made Shiv promise that he will not leave Gangaa. Shiv fills Gangaa's forehead with his blood as a sign of vermilion. Gangaa denies being Shiv's wife and wants to be Sagar's widow. It is decided that Gangaa must stay with Shiv for a month. Gangaa finds out that Krishna is dead and is devastated. She slowly develops feelings for Shiv. Soon, they get married.
Parallel story arcsEdit
Apart from the love story of Gangaa-Sagar and Shiv-Gangaa, the show also focusses on Madhvi and Niranjan. Madhvi thinks Niranjan had an affair with her cousin Barkha and got separated from Niranjan but later finds it was fake and reunites with Niranjan. After the year's leap, it is revealed that Niranjan had an affair with a Muslim girl named Rahat, which lead to distance between him and Madhvi. With the departure of Madhvi from the Chaturvedi family, the relationship between Pulkit and Supriya worsens and also because of the miscarriage of Supriya. Pulkit started feeling lonely and starts having a secret affair with Gangaa's friend Kashish, who also truly loved him. Their affair is revealed and they have to break up. The relationship of Supriya and Pulkit is retained with the arrival of their adopted daughter Juhi. Later on, Madhvi and Niranjan are also reunited. When Pulkit was young he loved his classmate Saloni till he grew up but Saloni stops loving him because he had no good job. Then, he married Supriya with whom he soon fell in love.
- Aditi Sharma as Advocate Gangaa Shiv Jha / Gangaa Sagar Chaturvedi / Gangaa Shukla:Sagar's second wife / widow, Shiv's wife, Krishna's mother (2015–2017)
- Raj Singh Verma as Varun Shukla, Gangaa's father (2015)
- Vishal Vashishtha as Advocate Sagar Chaturvedi, Niranjan's Son, Pulkit's younger brother and Zoya's fake stepbrother, Janvi's first husband, Gangaa's second husband, Krishna's father (2015–2017)
- Hiten Tejwani as Judge Niranjan "Niru" Chaturvedi : Ammaji's son, Madhavi's Husband, Pulkit, Sagar and Zoya's Father, Gaanga's God - Father and Krishna's Grandfather (2015-2017).
- Ruhana Khanna as Child Gangaa Shukla (2015) / Krishna Chaturvedi (Gangaa and Sagar's daughter) (2016–2017)
- Swar Hingonia as Child Sagar Chaturvedi, Pulkit's younger brother and Zoya's fake stepbrother (2015)
- Shakti Anand as Shiv Jha, Gangaa's third husband (2017)
- Panchi Bora as Janvi Sagar Chaturvedi, Sagar's first wife (2015–2016)
- Gungun Uprari as Madhvi Niranjan Chaturvedi, Niranjan's wife, Sagar and Pulkit's mother and Krishna's grandmother (2015–2017)
- Sushmita Mukherjee as Kanta Chaturvedi / Ammaji, Sagar's Dadi, Niranjan's mother and Krishna great-grandmother (2015–2017)
- Vedant Sawant as Child Pulkit Chaturvedi, Sagar's elder brother and Zoya's step brother (2015)
- Abhishek Tewari as Pulkit Chaturvedi, Sagar's elder brother and Zoya's fake stepbrother (2015–2017)
- Nivedita Tiwari / Roop Durgapal as Supriya Pulkit Chaturvedi, Sagar's Bhabhi, Pulkit's wife (2015–2017)
- Arshifa Khan as Radhika Jha, Shiv's illegitimate daughter (2017)
- Utkarsha Naik as Savitri Jha, Shiv's mother (2017)
- Pankaj Berry as Mr. Jha, Shiv's father (2017)
- Kishwer Merchant as Asha (2017)
- Amardeep Garg as Karoli Baba (2016)
- Dinesh Mehta as Pratap Jha, Shiv's brother (2017)
- Anokhi Anand as Jhumki Pratap Jha, Shiv's Bhabhi, Pratap's wife (2017)
- Anushka Singh as Riya Jha, Shiv's sister (2017)
- Shagun Sharma as Ashi Jha (2017)
- Rajesh Balwani as Kushal, Riya's husband (2017)
- Puja Sharma as Kashish Sameer Mirza (2016–2017)
- Akash Gill as Yash (2015–2017)
- Rakhee Tandon as Prabha, Yash's mother (2015–17)
- Romanch Mehta as Ratan, Yash's father, Prabha's husband, Madhvi's elder brother, Sagar and Pulkit's Mama (2015–2016)
- Sunil Jaitley as Maharaj Ji (2015–2017)
- Jaya Bhattacharya as Sudha Bua (2015–2016)
- Gaurav Khanna as Dr. Sameer Mirza, Zoya's father, Rahat's husband (2016)
- Nausheen Ali Sardar as Rahat Sameer Mirza, Niranjan's first love, Zoya's mother, Sameer's wife (2016)
- Rucha Gujarathi as Zoya Mirza / Zoya Chaturvedi, Sameer and Rahat's daughter, Niranjan's fake daughter, Sagar and Pulkit's fake stepsister (2016)
- Gaurav Deshmukh as Sahil Bora, Janvi's brother (2015–2016)
- Sarwar Ahuja as Advocate Palash Banerjee (2016)
- Rizwana Shaikh as Mairi, The Chaturvedi's maid (2015–2016)
- Mohit Abrol / Deepak Wadhwa as Rudra (2016)
- Divyangana Jain as Ragini (2016)
- Ahsaas Channa as Teenage Saloni (2016)
- Suman Shashi Kant as Monsieur Srivastav, Chief Minister, Saloni's father (2015)
- Pooja Sethi as Drishti (2015)
- Sanjay Gandhi as Omkar (2015)
- Priya Wal / Gunjan Vijaya as Barkha, Sagar's Mausi, Madhvi's cousin sister (2015)
- Sameer Sharma as Raj (2015)
- Jasveer Kaur as simreva(2015)
- Samridh Bawa as Bal Mahant Gautam (2015)
- Mukul Nag as Mr. Chaturvedi, Kanta's husband, Sagar's Dadaji, Niranjan's father (2015)
- Amita Khopkar as Shanta Devi, Kanta's sister (2015)
- Arti Singh as Guest
- Prince Narula as Guest
- Karan Kundra as Guest
- "&TV announces new fiction launch 'Gangaa'". Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- "SHOCKING! Hit show 'Gangaa' to go OFF-AIR". Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "&TV's Gangaa is all set for a revamp". 12 January 2017.
- "&TV's Gangaa is all set for a revamp". 12 January 2017.
- "Gangaa - Sagar Ki Ganga". indiatoday. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Meet The grown up Gangaa-Sagar, Aditi Sharma-Vishal Vashistha Latest Picture". Tellydhamaal.
- "Vishal Vashishtha to Play The Leap in TV's Gangaa Post Leap". Bollywoodhelpline.
- "Gangaa on the threshold of a new beginning! – Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Real life couple Aditi and Sarwar pair up for and TV show". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Not Cezanne Khan, but Mohit Abrol to play the new hero in 'Gangaa' - Times of India". Retrieved 6 December 2016.