Rugby Americas North
Rugby Americas North, abbreviated as RAN, is the governing body for rugby union in the North American continental region. Rugby Americas North operates under the authority of World Rugby, and is one of six regional unions represented within it.
|Headquarters||Tortola, British Virgin Islands|
|Bob Latham (USA Rugby)|
Prior to 2016, the organisation was known as NACRA – the North America Caribbean Rugby Association. The preceding body before 2001 was NAWIRA – the North America and West Indies Rugby Association.
The main objective of RAN is the promotion and development of rugby in North America and the Caribbean. The association unveiled a four-year plan during the 2011 Annual General Meeting to grow rugby within its membership unions through promotion, media output and competition.
World Rugby's 40-member executive council includes two seats for RAN representatives, two seats for Canada, and one for the United States. By contrast to RAN's five votes on the World Rugby executive council, European countries have 16 votes.
RAN oversees regional competitions, such as regional qualifiers for Pan Am Games and Rugby World Cups including:
RAN is governed by a board of five executives. The USA, Canada and Mexico are fixed representatives, while the Caribbean countries elect two nations for delegation.
This section needs expansion with: updated office holders. You can help by adding to it. (April 2016)
Countries within North America, as of 2010, account for 128,828 rugby players: with the largest number of players from:
- United States (88,151)
- Canada (23,853)
- Trinidad and Tobago (5,060)
- Mexico (3,454)
Two unions have recognized RAN regional development status:
Regional unions (including former affiliates) without current RAN recognition:
- Learning More About NACRA. Rugby Canada,18 July 2012.[dead link]
- "Year in Review" (PDF). IRB. 2010. p. 10. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-11-03.
- "Full members". Rugby Americas North. Archived from the original on 16 November 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Associate members". Rugby Americas North. Archived from the original on 16 November 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Recognized Regional Development Unions". Rugby Americas North. Archived from the original on 16 November 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Affiliated Unions". NACRA. 2011. Archived from the original on 4 July 2013.
- "Handbook" (PDF). World Rugby. 2014. pp. 16–10. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 February 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "The Committee". Guadeloupe Rugby. Retrieved 31 January 2015.