Roopkar was the first Assamese language, tabloid-sized magazine about Assamese cinema, theater and culture. Established in 1974, the magazine was founded and edited by journalist and writer Pabitra Kumar Deka. Advisers of the magazine were singer & composer Bhupen Hazarika and writer Nirode Choudhury.
Roopkar was published on a monthly basis. It was the most popular entertainment magazine in the Northeast; it also instituted the first popular film awards “Roopkar Awards” in Assam in 1975. Many new and young journalists contributed to the magazine, some of whom have made a mark in the field of cinema journalism like Kamal Lochan Das, Shekharjyoti Bhuyan, Arun Lochan Das, Rejek Aji Ahmed, Azim Hazarika, Hemanta Kumar Das, Jibaraj Barman, Utpal Datta, Bidyut Kumar Bhuyan, Sanjib Hazarika, etc. The Kolkata correspondent for the magazine was Nitai Ghosh. The magazine existed till the early nineties.
Besides cultural reporting, various renowned writers like Padma Borkotoki, Lakshmi Nandan Bora, Nirode Choudhury, Ratna Oza, Arun Goswami, Udayaditya Bharali, Nitya Bora, Debabrat Das, Dilip Chandan, Satya Ranjan Kalita, Prafulla Kumar Dutta etc wrote social novels for the magazine. Bhupen Hazarika also wrote his famous column Anyamat in the seventies.
Roopkar Award winnersEdit
- 2011 – Ratna Oza – Writer & Stage director
- 2012 – Tapan Das – Actor, director & short story writer
- 2013 – Munin Barua – Director & Playwright
- 2014 – Arun Lochan Das – Film Journalist
- 2015 – Sashi Phukan – Publisher & Editor of Bismoi Magazine
- 2016 – Nayan Prasad – Actor & Stage director
- 2017 – Samarendra Narayan Dev – Film & Stage director
- 2018 – Tapan Das – Still photographer & Founder of PVTI
- Abdul Gani (31 March 2013). "Roopkar Film Festival to celebrate 100 years of Indian cinema". Assam Times. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Vishwanath Bite (February 2015). "Vishwanath Bite in Conversation with Utpal Datta". The Criterion. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- Sanskriti Pandey. "Highway of success".
- "Noted scribe, writer Pabitra Kr Deka dead". Assam Tribune.
- Apurba Kumar Das (16 January 2018). "Pabitra Kumar Deka Archive and Rupkar Awards". The Assam Tribune.
- Prantik Deka (17 January 2018). "Roopkar awards and Pabitra Kumar Deka Archive". www.kothasobi.com.
- AT News (21 January 2018). "Heaping praise on Pabitra Kr Deka". www.assamtimes.com.
- "'Roopkar Awards 2018 presented'".
- "'Roopkar Awards presented'".
|This entertainment magazine or journal–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.