This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Utpal Datta is a National Film Award-winning film critic. He has been associated with Bismoi, an entertainment Assamese magazine; Rangghar, a cultural monthly; and Roopkar, a cultural monthly. He later joined the All India Radio Guwahati, where his book 24 Frames (2008), an anthology of articles on Indian cinema, was released as a radio program.
|Alma mater||Gauhati University|
|Notable awards||National Film Award, RAPA Award, Laadli Media Award and many more.|
|Children||Ragamala Rahi Datta|
Utpal Datta earned his Masters in Arts from Guwahati University. Later he earned a post-graduate diploma in Marketing Management. He started his career as a local reporter with Natun Asomiya, a weekly newspaper. Later he joined Roopakar as photographer and reporter. He was later sub-editor of Bismoi, the largest circulated monthly of the northeast, and Assistant Editor of Rangghar, a cultural monthly published from Bismoi Prakashan.
For a few years he represented Assam as a special correspondent to Cinema India International. At present he is Programme Executive of All India Radio at Guwahati station, the public service broadcaster of India. He has served other AIR stations like Dibrugarh, Nagaon, Williamnagar, Haflong and Guwahati.
He has directed one impressionistic short film, By-Lane2, based on the works of Assamese film journalist Pabitra Kumar Deka. The film was selected for several Film Festivals and for Indian Panorama 2013. His second film is Through Trust and Fear, based on the philosophy of Assamese writer Nirupama Barghohain. This film was produced by Mihir Goswami. Datta's third film, Borgeet - Eti Dhrupadi Ratna, is based on the borgeets of Assam.
His latest non feature film BAHUBRITTA (circles) is almost ready. Now he is busy in making an independent part of the first ever Assamese anthology film JI GALPAR SES NAI.
He is the President of a film society named CHALACHITRAM and Festival Director of Guwahati Film Festival.
He is married to Namrata Datta, a writer; they live in Guwahati with their daughter Ragamala.
- Ami Kene Aacho - Dutta's first published book, a short-length play written for environmental theatre; themed on youth unrest, and set in a small-town environment
- Aparupa Andaman - a travelogue; first appeared in leading Assamese journal Prantik; later came in a book form and was an instant hit
- Naishajatri - a novel, based on the day and night life of working women of Guwahati; a hit for his unique writing style and contemporary theme; in this book Dutta used style from films, radio plays and journalistic prose
- Mozartor Swaralipi - Dutta's only detective novel, later adapted to radio play and TV serial in Assamese and Hindi languages
- Chalachitra - Dutta's first book on film study; an anthology of articles written on various aspects of film of the state and the country; published by one major publisher of the state, Lawyer's Book Stall
- Ki Naam Ei Premar – a novel, based on a real-life love story
- Maramar Neha – a novel written in a format of a letter, also translated into Bodo language
- Cine-Quiz – a descriptive quiz book on film
- Chalachtra Katha – a film study, first Assamese book on film . This book has been selected as a reference book for UGC's BA in Assamese course under CBCS and for Post Graduate classes of Guwahati University.
- Ekhan Swasa Mukhare – poems of Nabakata Baruah
- Nabakanta Baruar Uapnyash Samagra – novels of Nabakata Baruah
- Satikar Srestha Premar Galpa – selected Assamese love stories of the 20th century
- Soi Dasakar Gadya – selected prose of Bhabedra Nath Saikia
- Sampadakar Kothlait – Bhabendra Nath Saikia's satirical writings
- Nobel Bota Bijoyi Lekhakar Galpa – translated stories from Nobel Laureates
- Amar Chinaki Tassaduk – anthology of articles written on Assamese actor; Director Tassaduk Usuf
- Anirban – screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Kalasandhya – screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Agnisnan – screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Kolahal – screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Abartan – screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia - This book has been selected as a reference book Post Graduate classes of Guwahati University.
- Itihash – screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Sandhyarag – screenplay by Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Ganje Fariste - selected writings by Sadat Kasan Mantoo
- Chalachitra - Samoi-Samaj-Nandanttwa -essays on film - This book has been selected as a reference book for UGC's BA in Assamese course under CBCS and for Post Graduate classes of Guwahati University.
- Tuglak and Nagamandala – two plays by Girish Karnad; Tuglak was staged by Seagull group under Bhagirathi's direction
- Matra Ata Sparshatei Barashun Diya Megh - translation of a selection of K Satchidanandan's poems
- The Art of War - Assamese translation of the ancient Chinese military treatise dating from the 5th century BC and is attributed to the ancient Chinese military strategist Sun Tzu
- Godmother - original play, based on women in politics; staged by Hengool Theatre
- Kanchan – adopted play, based on sexual harassment on women in the office; staged by Hengool for two continuous years; one of the major plays in touring professional theater of Assam.
- Ayn Rand's Night of 16 January – translated play; staged by Aikatan; Guwahati Dooradarshan telecasted this play to observe world theater day
Awards and recognitionEdit
- RAPA Award for Radio Production (with Prabal Sarma on AIDS ORPHANS)
- Special Jury Mention for writing in Cinema at the National Film Awards
- Moonlight Media Award for Cultural Journalism
- Jyotirupa Media Award for Film Criticism
- Laadli Media Award for Radio Production
- Served as jury member for Excellence in Radio Award
- Served as jury member for Assam State Film Award
- PANOS Media Fellow 2011
- USEA Media Fellowship 2013
- AIR Guwahati to premier Utpal Datta's 24 Frames radioandmusic.com, 29 November 2008.
- 56th National Film Awards Press Information Bureau, Govt of India. 2008.
- http:// www.utpaldatta.com