Role Models (2017 film)
Role Models is a 2017 Indian Malayalam-language romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Rafi. The film stars Fahadh Faasil, Vinayakan, Sharaf U Dheen, Vinay Forrt, and Namitha Pramod. Role Models was shot in various locations of Goa and Dubai. The film released on 25 June 2017 all over Kerala.
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Vaishak Rajan|
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
|Edited by||V. Saajan|
|Distributed by||Phars Films & Tricolor Entertainment|
The film opens with Gautham being an asocial man, very different from his college days. His father asks Gautham's college friends Rexxie and Jyothish to help him. Coming to know that Gautham insulted a girl during a date at the public library for which her father called him gay as he wasn't interested in females, the two go to his office. But Gautham treats them rather formally. Then they see his boss shouting at him and he listens to it patiently, which they found difficult to believe because he was unlike the Gautham they had heard of. They find out that he isn't gay.
Their college days are revealed showing Gautham being a very social person. He was the lead singer of a band named 'Role Models' which consisted of Rexxie, Jyothish and Subhan, a flirt. They were best friends and everyone liked them but Gautham's parents disliked their son being with them. Then it is revealed that Gautham's parents gave a complaint to the principal with Gautham's signature which Gautham signed when he was drunk. As a result, the three were expelled. Gautham tries to explain to them that it wasn't him who gave the complaint and that they all knew each other's secrets and they should not break up. But Subhan asks him in anger why he kept his love affair a secret and the others are surprised. Eventually, they are separated.
Rexxie and Jyothish tell Gautham that Subhan was having cancer and that he wants to meet Gautham which was a lie. Gautham goes with them to Subhan's place. Subhan has become a football player and is still a bachelor. Rexxie asks with whom Gautham had a love affair and Subhan tells that it was Christy, a tomboy who they all know. Then it is shown that Christy had written a love letter to Gautham which was caught by the principal.
The three of them bring back Christy, who is getting married in a month. But Gautham is unhappy to see her and reveals that it was he who had given the letter to the principal. Hearing Gautham's answer she tries to beat him. Then he reveals that he used to like Shreya and not Christy. Reuniting with Shreya and solving issues between Shreya and Gautham's parents form the rest of the plot.
- Fahadh Faasil as Gautham
- Vinayakan as Jyothish Narayanan
- Sharaf U Dheen as Rexxie/Pappachan George
- Srinda Arhaan as Christy
- Aju Varghese as Kiran (voice only) cameo
- Namitha Pramod as Shreya
- Siddique as Shreya's father
- Seetha as Gautham's mother
- Vinay Forrt as Subahan Abdul Khader
- Renji Panicker as Gautham's Dad
- Suraj Venjarammood as News reporter
- Dileesh Pothan as Gautham's boss
- Rafi as Shreya's uncle
- Harishree Ashokan as Ramanan (character from Punjabi House)
- Aswathi Menon as Lucy
- Anjali Nair as Natasha, social activist
- Ambika Mohan
- Balachandran Chullikkadu as Prof. Dr. Abraham Mathew
- Chembil Ashokan as Joseph
- Sadiq as Ravi
- Bibin George
- Cochin Haneefa (photo credit)
- Sasankan Mayyanad
The film garnered generally positive reviews praising it as a fun filled family entertainer. Fahadh Faasil, Vinaayakan, Sharaf U Dheen and Vinay Forrt made a combo of youth and it includes a comic first half and an engaging second half. The film also includes Harishree Ashokan in a guest role as "Ramanan", playing the same character he played in Punjabi House, which is a popular troll character in social media.
- K S, Aravind (6 January 2017). "Shamdat Sain: Frames of versatility". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (28 October 2016). "Fahadh's Role Model starts shooting". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- BS, Shibu (9 December 2016). "Crunch hits Mollywood where it hurts". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Soman, Deepa (29 September 2016). "Namitha Pramod a water sports trainer in 'Role Models'". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- George, Anjana (6 December 2016). "Srinda to play Fahadh's tomboy girlfriend in Role Model". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (21 August 2016). "Fahadh Faasil, Namitha Pramod to team up for a comedy". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Sidhardhan, hnSanjith (19 September 2016). "Renji Panicker to play Fahadh's dad in Role Models". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Jayaram, Deepika (1 January 2017). "Aswathi Menon returns to M'wood with Role Models". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 January 2017.