Muhammed Haneefa (22 April 1951 – 2 February 2010), better known by his stage name Cochin Haneefa, was an Indian actor, film director, and screenwriter. He started his career in the 1970s mainly portraying villainous roles, before going on to become one of the most popular comedians of Malayalam cinema. He acted in more than 300 films in Malayalam and Tamil.
As a director he is best known for the films Aankiliyude Tharattu (1987) and Vatsalyam (1993).
Personal life and educationEdit
Haneefa was born in Cochin (present-day Kochi) to Kochi Velthedathu Tharavattil A.B. Muhammed and Hajira, as the second among their eight children. He studied at Kochi St. Augustine's School and St. Albert's College and graduated with a degree in commerce.
He made his film debut in 1972 in Azhimukham directed by Vijayan and went on to act in over 300 films in Malayalam. He also acted in over 80 Tamil films, including popular movies like Mahanadi with Kamal Haasan, Sivaji and Enthiran with Rajinikanth.
Haneefa played memorable roles in many Malayalam films, including Mannar Mathai Speaking, Devaasuram, Kireedam, Chenkol , Punjabi House and Swapnakoodu, Pulivaal Kalyanam, Meesa Madhavan, C.I.D Moosa, Thilakkam etc. He also directed around 20 films, including Valtsalyam and Moonu Masangalkku Munbu. The last Tamil films in which he appeared were Madrasapattinam and Enthiran. His final Malayalam film was the 2010 film Bodyguard.
Even though he started off in villain roles, he slowly transitioned to the comedic characters. He had also played dramatic supporting character roles to a great effect. Haneefa's comedic roles smartly captured his physique in a self-deprecating nature and eventually, he became one of the most popular comedians in Malayalam cinema. In Kireedam, he played the role of Hydrose, a hilarious rowdy. His first noted role as a comedian came in Mannar Mathai Speaking, where he played the role of Eldho. Punjabi House was the movie which established him as a major comedian in Malayalam cinema. Considered one of the best slapstick comedy film in Malayalam cinema, Haneefa portrayed the character Gangadharan in the movie. Punjabi House was a major breakthrough in the careers of Harishree Asokan and Dileep as well. The movie eventually developed into a cult. Haneefa along with these Asokan and Dileep eventually formed a successful trio in Malayalam cinema. They acted together in numerous movies such as Udayapuram Sulthan, Ee Parakkum Thalika, Meesa Madhavan, Thilakkam, C.I.D. Moosa, Runway and Pandippada. Haneefa played the role of S.I Veerappan Kurupp in the 2001 slapstick comedy movie Ee Parakkum Thalika. He again played the role of a hilarious police officer, this time becoming Sudarshanan in the movie Snehithan, which was released the same year. His role as Mathukkutty in the 2002 film Mazhathullikkilukkam was also noted. Haneefa's character Thrivikraman in the 2002 movie Meesa Madhavan was highly appreciated. It was the highest-grossing movie of that year and many of the characters in the movie like Pillechan and Pattalam Purushu became a cult. It was in the year 2003 that Haneefa played some of the best iconic comedy characters in his career. In Thilakkam, he became the local rowdy called Bhaskaran and in Kilichundan Mampazham, he portrayed the role of Kalanthan Haji. Haneefa's one of the career best role came in the slapstick comedy movie C.I.D Moosa, where he played the role of Vikaraman. Similar to that of Punjabi House, Ee Parakkum Thalika and Meesa Madhavan, the performance of Dileep-Asokan-Haneefa trio along with Jagathy Sreekumar in this movie were highly appreciated and it became the second highest-grossing movie in 2003. In Swapnakoodu, he played the role of Philipose and as Panchayath President in Vellithira. Haneefa's another memorable character came out in the movie Pulival Kalyanam, where he played as Dharmendra, often mistaken in the movie with the Bollywood legendary superstar of the same name. This movie was well appreciated especially for the comedy scenes between Haneefa and Salim Kumar, who played as Manavalan in the movie. Manavalan eventually became a cult character in Malayalam cinema.
- 2001 – Second Best Actor – Soothradharan
Haneefa died on February 2, 2010, aged 58, at Sri Ramachandra Hospital in Chennai, from multiple organ failure. He had been treated for liver cancer. He was buried at Ernakulam Central Juma Masjid with full state honours.
|1974||College Girl||College Student|
|Aval Oru Devaalayam|
|Aval Kanda Lokam|
|1979||Maamaankam||Vellodi - Zamorin's Warrior|
|Manasa Vacha Karmana||Rameshan|
|Ponnil Kulicha Rathri|
|Allauddinum Albhutha Vilakkum||Yusaf|
|1990||No.20 Madras Mail||Himself||Cameo|
|Kadathanadan Ambadi||Kathiroor Chandrappan|
|Veena Meettiya Vilangukal||Antony|
|Sunday 7 PM|
|Vatsalyam||Bullock cart driver|
|1995||Mannar Mathai Speaking||Eldho|
|Kaattile Thadi Thevarude Ana||Nagayya|
|Thacholi Varghese Chekavar||Puthooran|
|Kakkakkum Poochakkum Kalyanam|
|Achan Rajavu Appan Jethavu||Thalakkadi Thankappan|
|1996||Kalyanji Anandji||Vengalam Chakkunni / Adv. General Oorumadam Subbarama Iyer|
|Kala Pani||Ahmed Kutty|
|News paper boy||Jagadeeshwara Iyer|
|Aaraam Thampuran||Govindan Kutty|
|Sooryaputhran||Chekanoor Neelakantan Karthavu|
|1999||Udayapuram Sulthan||Beeran Kutty|
|Njangal Santhushtaranu||Soudamini's Husband|
|Crime File||SI Jamal|
|Snehapoorvam Anna||Abu Uncle|
|Indriyam||C.I Theepori Veerabhadran|
|Sathyam Sivam Sundaram||Ajayan|
|2001||Rakshasa Rajavu||Attuva Antony|
|Praja||Hamid Plaavullakandi Methar / Malayalees|
|Goa||Kanakambharan / David Thomas|
|Nalacharitham Naalam Divasam|
|Ee Parakkum Thalika||Veerappan Kurup|
|Narendran Makan Jayakanthan Vaka||Kittunni|
|Ee Naadu Innale Vare||Chandrakumar|
|Oomappenninu Uriyadappayyan||Punchiri Pushparaj|
|Kaiyethum Doorath||Kundara Sharangan|
|Kilichundan Mampazham||Kalanthan Haji|
|Sadanandante Samayam||Headmaster Chacko|
|Meerayude Dukhavum Muthuvinte Swapnavum||Divakaran|
|Hariharan Pillai Happy Aanu||Velappan|
|Valathottu Thirinjal Nalamathe Veedu||Bullet Ismail|
|Pattanathil Sundaran||Shekhara Pillai|
|2004||Kerala House Udan Vilpanakku||Vadival Vasu|
|C. I. Mahadevan 5 Adi 4 Inchu||Mahadevan|
|2005||Udayananu Tharam||'Sona' Balan|
|Iruvattam Manavaatti||Ambujakshan/ Ambiyannan|
|Nerariyan CBI||George C. Nair|
|Ben Johnson||ASI Eenashu|
|Immini Nalloraal||Sub Inspector|
|2006||Vargam||A.S.I Gopala Krishna Pilla|
|Kilukkam Kilukilukkam||Appukuttan / Annamma|
|Red Salute||Hamsa Koya|
|July 4||Abukka alias Abu|
|Panthaya Kozhi||Parunthu Bhaskaran|
|Heart Beats||Plaparabil Inashu|
|Avan Chandiyude Makan||Chackochi|
|Ali Bhai||Kunji Kannan|
|2009||Loudspeaker||Organ agent Sarangadharan|
|Hailesa||Police Inspector Pothuval|
|2010||3 Char Sau Bees|
|2011||Kalabha Mazha||Posthumous release|
|2014||Mannar Mathai Speaking 2||Eldho||Posthumous release|
|2015||3 Wicketinu 365 Runs||Posthumous release|
|1990||Pagalil Pournami||Hotel Manager|
|Mounam Sammadham||Kallupatti Rangan|
|Vaasalil Oru Vennila||Singer|
|1998||Thulli Thirintha Kaalam||Nair|
|Kakkai Siraginile||Kanmani's father|
|Maaran||C.B.I officer Madanagopal|
|2005||Anniyan||Delinquent car owner|
|Sivaji: The Boss||A. Kuzhandhaivel|
|Arai En 305-il Kadavul||Giri Chettan|
|Poi Solla Porom||Vijayakumar|
|2009||A Aa E Ee||Vedachalam|
|2010||Kattradhu Kalavu||Vaikavardhan||Posthumous release|
|Ambasamudram Ambani||Nandhini's father||Posthumous release|
|Enthiran||Traffic police officer||Posthumous release|
|Thottu Paar||Posthumous release|
|1998||Kabhi Na Kabhi||Cameo role|
|2010||Puli||Al Saleem's PA|
- Bheesmacharya (1994)
- Vatsalyam (1993)
- Veena Meettiya Vilangukal (1990)
- Aankiliyude Tharattu (1987)
- Oru Sindoora Pottinte Ormaykku (1987)
- Moonnu Masangalkku Munpu (1986)
- Oru Sandesam Koodi (1985)
- Paasa Paravaigal (1988)
- Paadatha Thenikkal (1988)
- Pagalil Pournami (1990)
- Pillai Paasam (1991)
- Vaasalile Oru Vennila (1991)
- Naalai Engal Kalyanam (later released as Kadalora Kaadhal)
- Aval Oru Devaalayam (1977) (Directed by A.B. Raj)
- Adima Changala (1981) (Directed by A.B. Raj)
- Ithihasam (1981)
- Chicagoyil Cheenthiya Raktham
- Aarambham (1982) (Directed by Joshi)
- Dheera (1982) (Directed by Joshi)
- Thaalam Thettiya Tharattu (1983) (Directed by A.B. Raj)
- Sandharbham (1984) (Directed by Joshi)
- Inakkilly (1984) (Directed by Joshi)
- Piriyilla Naam (1984) (Directed by Joshi)
- Parayanumvayya Parayathirikkanumvayya (1985) (Directed by Priyadarshan)
- Puthiya Karukkal (1989) (Directed by Thampi Kannanthanam)
- Lal Americayil (1989) (Directed by Sathyan Anthikkad)
- Kadathanadan Ambadi (1990) (Directed by Priyadarshan)
- Bheesmacharya (1994) (Directed by himself)
- Mission (2010)
- ^ "Cochin Hanifa". IMDb.
- ^ "സിനിമാ-'ജീവിത'ത്തിലെ ഹനീഫ" (in Malayalam). Mathrubhumi. 2 February 2010. Archived from the original on 5 February 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- ^ a b c d Srinivasan, Meera; Kannan, Ramya (2 February 2010). "Actor Cochin Haneefa dies". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- ^ "എന്നെ മനസ്സിലായാ...? വാപ്പച്ചിയാടാ... വാപ്പച്ചി, Interview - Mathrubhumi Movies". Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- ^ "വീടുണ്ടായിട്ടും വാടകവീട്ടില് | mangalam.com". www.mangalam.com. Archived from the original on 7 September 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2022.
- ^ "C.I. Mahadevan 5 Adi 4 Inchu". Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- ^ "C.I. Mahadevan 5 Adi 4 Inchu". IMDb. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- ^ "Remembering Cochin Haneefa on his 10th death anniversary - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ James, Anu (2 February 2017). "Mammootty, Jayaram remember Cochin Haneefa on Punjabi House actor's 7th death anniversary". IBTimes India. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ "My career will endure as long as 'Punjabi House' is remembered: Harisree Asokan". OnManorama. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ "Cochin Haneefa remembered - The New Indian Express". www.newindianexpress.com. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ "Meesha Madhavan | ചേക്കിലെ മാധവന്റെയും പട്ടാളം പുരുഷുവിന്റെയും വീടുകൾ കണ്ടിട്ടുണ്ടോ? വീഡിയോ ഇതാ". News18 Malayalam. 25 January 2021. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ "വേർപാടിന്റെ 11 വർഷങ്ങൾ; കൊച്ചിൻ ഹനീഫയെ ഓർത്ത് മമ്മൂട്ടി". Indian Express Malayalam (in Malayalam). Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ "17 വർഷങ്ങൾക്ക് ശേഷം വ്യത്യസ്ത അവതാരത്തിൽ അവൻ വരുന്നു, സിഐഡി മൂസ". Mathrubhumi. 28 October 2020. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ George, Anjana. "What makes Salim Kumar the face of Malayalam memes? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 June 2021.
- ^ "Manorama Online | Movies | Nostalgia |". www.manoramaonline.com. Archived from the original on 2 February 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2022.
- ^ "VMC Haneefa passes away". Sify. 2 February 2010. Archived from the original on 5 February 2010. Retrieved 21 August 2011.