Rocky (1981 film)
Rocky is a 1981 Bollywood romantic action film directed by Sunil Dutt. This film marks the debut of Sunil Dutt's son Sanjay Dutt and also stars Reena Roy, Tina Munim, Amjad Khan, Raakhee, Ranjeet, Shakti Kapoor and Aruna Irani in pivotal roles. Sunil Dutt also appears in a cameo. Aruna Irani received a Filmfare Nomination for Best Supporting Actress, the only nomination for the film.
Official Album Art
|Directed by||Sunil Dutt|
|Music by||Rahul Dev Burman|
|Distributed by||Shemaroo Videos|
|Budget||₹1.2 crore (US$170,000)|
|Box office||₹6.4 crore (US$930,000)|
Shammi Kapoor plays himself, where he gets to judge dancers to the famous song "Aa Dekhe Zara," where Sanjay Dutt and Reena Roy as a pair compete against Shakti Kapoor and Tina Munim. The film was released only a few days after the death of Sunil's wife and Sanjay's mother, Nargis. It was ranked as the 10th highest grossing film of 1981.
Shankar (Sunil Dutt) is an educated young man who is employed in the construction business by Ratanlal (Anwar Hussain). Shankar is also the union leader, and would like Ratanlal to enforce measures for workers' safety. Before he could ensure this, Shankar is accidentally killed in a work-related accident, leaving behind his wife, Parvati (Raakhee) and young son, Rakesh. Rakesh is in trauma because of this incident, and this trauma is repeated in his mind every time his mother comes near him. Parvati is instructed to keep away from Rakesh, and Rakesh is adopted by Robert (Amjad Khan) and his wife, Kathy (Aruna Irani) and they rename him Rocky.
Years later, Rocky (Sanjay Dutt) has grown up without knowing who his birth mother is. Rocky's lifestyle is carefree, until he falls in love with Renuka (Tina Munim). It is then that he learns that he is really Rakesh, and that his mother is still alive, and his father did not die accidentally, but was murdered. Rocky sets out to avenge his father's death. He gets help from a rape survivor (Reena Roy). But he doesn't know that his days, along with those of his near and dear ones, may also be numbered.
- Sanjay Dutt as Rakesh / Rocky D'Souza
- Sunil Dutt as Shankar(Guest appearance)
- Reena Roy as Lajwanti / Hirabai
- Tina Munim as Renuka Seth
- Ranjeet as Jagdish aka "J.D."
- Aruna Irani as Kathy D'Souza
- Shakti Kapoor as R.D.
- Amjad Khan as Robert D'Souza
- Raakhee as Parvati
- Shashikala as Sophia
- Iftekhar as Dr. Bhagwandas
- Satyendra Kapoor as Ram Avtar
- Anwar Hussain as Ratanlal
- Agha as Professor
- C.S. Dubey as Man at the courtesan's place
- Shiv Kumar as Advocate Sharma
- Keshto Mukherjee as Drunk Driver
- Jalal Agha as Himself
- Sudha Chopra as Dugganjaan
- Gulshan Grover as Jagga
- Shammi Kapoor as Himself (Cameo role)
- Chunky Pandey as Boy ringing bell in classroom (Cameo role)
The music for the film is composed by R. D. Burman and the lyrics are written by Anand Bakshi where the songs continue to be popular even today. "Kya Yehi Pyar Hai" was inspired by R.D. Burman's Bengali number "Eki Bhalobasha". "Aa Dekhe Zara", "Hum Tumse Mile" and "Kya Yahi Pyar Hai" emerged as hits.
|1.||"Kya Yehi Pyar Hai"||Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar||06:24|
|2.||"Aa Dekhen Zara"||Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhosle, R D Burman||08:31|
|3.||"Aao Mere Yaaro Aao"||Kishore Kumar||04:24|
|4.||"Geet Sunoge Huzoor"||Asha Bhosale||03:06|
|5.||"Doston Ko Salam"||Kishore Kumar||06:06|
|6.||"Hum Tumse Mile"||Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar||06:00|
|7.||"Dance Music"||Gopi Krishan||02:55|
- "Sanjay Dutt on Rocky: The film gave me a real sense of being an actor". The Indian Express. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "'Rocky' revisited: The 1981 film that launched Sanjay Dutt's career". scroll.in. 17 June 2018. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "BoxOffice India.com". 18 January 2008.