Robert James "Rob" Wickham (born 3 May 1972) is a British Anglican bishop. Since September 2015, he has been the area Bishop of Edmonton; since 2021, he has also been part-time Acting Bishop of Portsmouth.
|area Bishop of Edmonton|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|In office||23 September 2015–present|
|Ordination||1998 (deacon) |
|Consecration||23 September 2015|
by Justin Welby
|Birth name||Robert James Wickham|
|Born||3 May 1972|
|Alma mater||Grey College, Durham|
King's College London
Early life and educationEdit
Wickham was born on 3 May 1972. He was educated at Hampton School, an all-boys independent school in Hampton, London. After a gap year, he studied geography at Grey College, Durham. He graduated from the University of Durham with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1994. He then spent a year working at St Luke's Church, Wallsend, an Anglo-Catholic church in a deprived area of North Tyneside. In 1995, he entered Ridley Hall, Cambridge, a Church of England theological college, where he spent three years studying for ordination to the priesthood.
Wickham was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1998 and as a priest in 1999. From 1998 to 2001, he continued his training for ministry as a curate at St Mary's Church, Willesden in the Diocese of London; the church contains the Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Willesden. In 2001, he moved to St Mary's Church, Somers Town where he served as a curate for the next two years. In 2003, he became the Team Vicar in the newly created Parish of Old St Pancras which includes St Pancras Old Church. In 2007, he moved parishes and became Rector of the Church of St John-at-Hackney; this made him the 45th Rector of Hackney. In 2014, he was additionally appointed the Area Dean of Hackney.
In July 2015, Wickham was announced as the next Bishop of Edmonton, an area bishop in the Diocese of London. On 23 September 2015, he was consecrated a bishop in Canterbury Cathedral by Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
It was announced on 26 February 2021 that Wickham is to additionally serve part-time as Acting Bishop of Portsmouth (archbishop's commissary) during the vacancy of that See, starting 28 April 2021.
- "Wickham, Robert James". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2016 (November 2015 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 24 July 2016. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Robert James Wickham". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "Order of Service: Ordination and Consecration of the new Bishops of Maidstone, Kensington and Edmonton" (PDF). Canterbury Cathedral. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Suffragan Bishop of Edmonton: Robert Wickham". Government of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 18 July 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "EDMONTON, Area Bishop of". Who's Who 2016. Oxford University Press. November 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Who's Who". St John at Hackney Church. Retrieved 23 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Two new bishops and new archdeacon for London announced". Diocese of London. 9 July 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ordination and Consecration of the new Bishops of Maidstone, Kensington and Edmonton". Canterbury Cathedral. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)