Bishop of Edmonton (London)
The Bishop of Edmonton is an episcopal title used by an area bishop of the Church of England Diocese of London in the Province of Canterbury, England. The title takes its name after Edmonton, an area in the North of the London Borough of Enfield; the See was erected under the Suffragans Nomination Act 1888 by Order in Council dated 29 May 1970.
The See was erected in order to take oversight of a new fourth suffragan area (initially the deaneries of North and South Camden, Central and West Barnet, East and West Haringey, and Enfield) created by the diocese's 1970 experimental area scheme; bishops suffragan of Edmonton have been area bishops since the London area scheme was founded in 1979. On 9 July 2015, it was announced that Rob Wickham was to become the next area bishop from his consecration on 23 September of that year.
List of bishopsEdit
|Bishops of Edmonton|
|1975||1984||Bill Westwood||(1925-1999). First area bishop from 1979; translated to Peterborough|
|1985||1998||Brian Masters||(1932-1998). Died in office. Formerly Bishop of Fulham|
|March 1999||31 December 2014||Peter Wheatley||(b. 1947). Formerly Archdeacon of Hampstead; retired at the end of 2014|
|2014||2015||Pete Broadbent, area Bishop of Willesden||acting area bishop|
|23 September 2015||present||Rob Wickham|||
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 946. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "No. 45124". The London Gazette. 11 June 1970. p. 6515.
- "London's new suffragan see". Church Times (#5599). 5 June 1970. p. 2. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 4 January 2021 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Virtual autonomy for London's 'area bishops'?". Church Times (#5584). 20 February 1970. p. 1. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 29 September 2020 – via UK Press Online archives.
nb: the description of the "new suffragan's" area was either misreported in February 1970, or had changed by June.
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Diocese of London – Two new bishops and new archdeacon for London announced (Accessed 9 July 2015)
- Bishop of Edmonton Archived December 18, 2007, at the Wayback Machine; retrieved on 16 June 2008.
- Thinking Anglicans – Bishop of Edmonton to retire (Accessed 19 July 2014)