Jonathan Hugh Frost (born 26 September 1964) is a British Anglican bishop. He has served as the Dean of York since 2 February 2019; and is the Bishop-designate of Portsmouth. He was previously Bishop of Southampton, a suffragan bishop in the Church of England's Diocese of Winchester since 2010.
|Dean of York|
|Diocese||Diocese of York|
|Other post(s)||Chaplain at the University of Surrey and canon residentiary of Guildford Cathedral (2002–2010)|
Bishop of Southampton (2010–2019)
Honorary assistant bishop (York; 2019–present)
Bishop-designate of Portsmouth (2021 onwards)
|Ordination||1993 (deacon) |
|Consecration||30 November 2010|
|Born||26 September 1964|
Early life and educationEdit
Frost was born on 26 September 1964. He studied at the University of Aberdeen, graduating with a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) degree in 1988. From 1991 to 1993, he trained for ordination at Ridley Hall, Cambridge, an evangelical Anglican theological college. He continued his studies at University of Nottingham, completing a Master of Theology (MTh) in 1999.
Frost was ordained a deacon on 27 June 1993, by Patrick Harris, Bishop of Southwell, at Southwell Minster — directly before he began his curacy at West Bridgford — and then a priest on 2 July 1994 at St John's, Beeston, again by Harris. In 1994, alongside his curacy, he became a police chaplain until he moved on from both posts in 1997 when he became Rector of Ash until 2002. Frost also served on the General Synod during the 2005–2010 session.
His most recent posts prior to the episcopate, since 2002, were as Anglican chaplain to the University of Surrey and a canon residentiary at Guildford Cathedral. In 2007, he became co-ordinating chaplain at the university and was appointed the Bishop of Guildford's Advisor for Inter-Faith Relations.
It was announced on 30 July 2010 that Frost would become Bishop of Southampton in the Diocese of Winchester, succeeding Paul Butler (following Butler's translation to Southwell). He was consecrated a bishop at St Paul's Cathedral on 30 November 2010. He was welcomed to the Diocese of Winchester as Bishop of Southampton and installed as an honorary canon on 4 December 2010 at Winchester Cathedral.
On 26 November 2018, it was announced that Frost would be the next Dean of York, the head of the chapter of York Minster; his installation as Dean occurred on 2 February 2019. In March 2019, he was also licensed an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese, with a place in the diocesan House of Bishops.
- "Frost, Jonathan Hugh". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2016 (November 2015 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 10 September 2016. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Southampton, Bishop Suffragan of". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.254781.
- "Jonathan Hugh Frost". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "Petertide ordinations". Church Times (#6803). 2 July 1993. p. 6. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 September 2016 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Gazette: Ordinations". Church Times (#6857). 15 July 1994. p. 5. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 September 2016 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Southampton
- Peter Owen — Members of General Synod, 2005–2010
- Next Bishop of Southampton announced
- Next Bishop of Southampton to be consecrated today[permanent dead link]
- "New Dean of York". Diocese of York. 26 November 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "York Minster". York Minster. 26 November 2018. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- Dodd, George (26 November 2018). "New Dean of York revealed as the Rt Revd Dr Jonathan Frost". York Press. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- "Dean of York takes on honorary role in York Diocese". Diocese of York. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- Diocese of Portsmouth — New Bishop of Portsmouth is announced (Accessed 8 October 2021)
- Daily Echo — New Bishop for Southampton
- "Frost returns south to become Bishop of Portsmouth". www.churchtimes.co.uk. Retrieved 9 October 2021.
- "Diocese of Portsmouth - News - New Bishop of Portsmouth is announced". www.portsmouth.anglican.org. Retrieved 9 October 2021.