Roark Capital Group
Roark Capital Group is an American private equity firm with nearly US$11.0 billion in equity capital raised since inception that is focused on leveraged buyout investments in middle-market companies primarily in the franchise/multi-unit, restaurant and food, retail healthcare and business services sectors. The firm is named for Howard Roark, the protagonist in Ayn Rand's novel, The Fountainhead. The firm's name is not meant to connote any particular political philosophy but instead signifies the firm's admiration for the iconoclastic qualities of independence and self-assurance embodied by the central figure in The Fountainhead.
|Founder||Neal Aronson (Founder & Managing Partner)|
|Headquarters||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
Number of employees
The firm, which is based in Atlanta, Georgia, was founded in 2001 by the current Managing Partner, Neal K. Aronson. Senior team members include President Paul D. Ginsberg, Senior Managing Director and Co-Chief Investment Officer Ezra S. Field, Senior Managing Director and Co-Chief Investment Officer Erik O. Morris, and Managing Directors Timothy Armstrong, Stephen D. Aronson, Geoff Hill, Matthew Kaelin, and Steven Romaniello.
Prior to founding Roark Capital Group, Aronson was a co-founder of U.S. Franchise Systems. Roark currently is investing out of its fifth institutional private equity fund.
Roark's current and former portfolio companies include:
- Anytime Fitness
- Arby's 81.5% of the company, with The Wendy's Company owning the other 18.5%.
- Atkins Nutritionals
- Batteries Plus Bulbs
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- CKE Restaurants: (Carl's Jr., Hardee's, Green Burrito & Red Burrito)
- Culver’s minority investment.
- Driven Brands: (1-800-Radiator & A/C, CARSTAR, Maaco, Meineke, Merlin 200,000 Mile Shops, Pro Oil Change, Econo Lube & Tune)
- Focus Brands: (Auntie Anne's., Carvel, Cinnabon, McAlister's Deli, Moe's Southwest Grill, Schlotzsky's)
- Great Expressions Dental Centers
- Home Service Store
- Il Fornaio: (Corner Bakery Cafe)
- Jimmy John's Majority stake of 65% with other 35% owned by founder Jimmy John Liautaud.
- Massage Envy Spas
- Miller's Ale House
- Naf Naf Grill
- Orangetheory Fitness
- Pet Supermarket
- PetValu and Bosley's Petstores
- Primrose Schools
- Solterra Recycling
- Waxing the City
- "Roark Capital Group :: About Our Name". www.roarkcapital.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Hammond, Ed; Giammona, Craig (28 November 2017). "Roark Agrees to $2.4 Billion Buffalo Wild Wings Deal". Bloomberg.com. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Equity Firm Buys Controlling Stake In Carvel. New York Times, December 11, 2001
- New Roark Capital Screams Ice Cream. Reuters Buyouts, January 7, 2002 Cached
- Focus Brands To Buy Cinnabon From AFC Enterprises. New York Times, September 9, 2004
- FOCUS Brands Buys Moe's Southwest Grill - Restaurant News - QSR Magazine
- Focus Brands buying Schlotzsky's, Austin Business Journal, November 20, 2006.
- "Atlanta's Roark Capital buys Il Fornaio parent firm". San Francisco Chronicle. 2011-06-14.
- "Roark Capital Buys Majority Stake in Jimmy John's". The Wall Street Journal. 2016-09-08.
- Roark Capital Group (company website)