The synagogue was founded by the Communal Services Division of Yeshiva University and has always identified itself as a bastion of that institution. Its rabbis included its founder Jacob Sable, Irving Greenberg, Yehezkel Hartmann, Joshua Shmidman, Abner Weiss and Jonathan Rosenblatt. The rabbi is Rabbi Yitzi Genack, while the Senior Rabbi is Rabbi Dovid Zirkind. In the 2009 New York City bomb plot the New York City Police Department foiled a plot by American Muslims to bomb the synagogue. On May 30, 2009, New York Governor David Paterson announced he would give the Center and the Riverdale Reform Temple $25,000 each to improve their security. The charter school Atmosphere Academy uses part of the building during the week for 8th grade classes.
- Freedman, Samuel G. "Two Rabbis Find They’re Separated Only by Doctrine", The New York Times', May 30, 2009.
- Ohlheiser, Michelle Boorstein, Abby; Larimer, Sarah (2014-11-18). "American victims of synagogue attack include rabbi from 'family of princes'". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Staff, JLNJ. "RJC: Rabbi Rosenblatt to Step Down". The Jewish Link of Bronx, Westchester & Connecticut. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Hernandez, Javier C.; Chan, Sewell. "N.Y. Bomb Plot Suspects Acted Alone, Police Say", The New York Times, May 21, 2009.
- "Targeted Bronx synagogues to get security funds" Archived 2012-05-10 at the Wayback Machine, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, June 2, 2009.