Riserva naturale orientata Parma Morta
|Riserva naturale orientata|
|Location||Mezzani, Province of Parma, Italy|
|Area||6,451 ha (15,941 acres) |
Situated between the mouths of rivers Parma and Enza it includes a strip of territory of about 5 kilometres (3 mi) long and covers an area of 6,451 hectares (15,940 acres) along a wetland called Parma Morta. In this place flowed once  the river Parma. Until 1870, it flowed into the Enza, and then his course was diverted to flow directly into the river Po.
The water stagnating here comes from Enza and go back along the inactive river branch up to half a mile from the today's course of Parma.
To assure to the area a constant level of water necessary to maintain the ecosystem, was created a phytodepurating system that ensure a constant input of water from surrounding canals.
In the reserve grows some particular plants as the Summer Snowflake (Leucojum aestivum), the 'Four Leaf Clover' (Marsilea quadrifolia). The rarest one is the Utricularia vulgaris, a rootless aquatic carnivorous plant who capture small insects and in summer shows beautiful yellow flowers sprouting from water.
This area gives shelter to many species of animals coming from the surrounding cultivated fields. Is an important refuge for amphibians, reptiles and birds; here nests some of the target species of the Birds Directive of the European Community. The reserve is one of the six areas designated as Natura 2000 sites belonging to the project Life+ "Pianura Parmense" and is one of the last wetlands remained in a very anthropized area.
- Italian Department of the Environment:, Elenco ufficiale delle aree protette (EUAP) Archived 2015-06-04 at Wikiwix
- Details of the nature reserve Parma Morta Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine on www.parchi.parma.it
- The environment of Parma Morta Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine on www.parchi.parma.it
- Anna Pupillo Ferrari-Bravo. Parma e provincia: le città d'arte, l'Appennino, le terme, i castelli, il Po. Touring Club Italiano, Touring Club Italiano - 1996 pag 85
- Parma Morta Archived 2010-08-07 at the Wayback Machine official profile of the reserve published by Emilia-Romagna region
- parks website of Parma province Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine