Ridiculousness (TV series)
Ridiculousness is an American comedy clip show that began airing on August 29, 2011. It is hosted by Rob Dyrdek and co-hosted by Sterling "Steelo" Brim and Chanel West Coast. Ridiculousness shows various viral videos from the Internet, usually involving failed do-it-yourself attempts at stunts, to which Rob and his panelists add mock commentary. Although the format bears some similarity to viewer-submission driven shows such as America's Funniest Home Videos, Ridiculousness producers, as well as the show's network, MTV, do not accept viewer submissions and air a disclaimer before and after each episode warning that, because of the dangerous nature of the stunts being shown, any attempts to submit a video to the show will be rejected.
|Theme music composer||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Opening theme||"Uncontrollable Urge"|
created by Devo; performed by Rob Dyrdek
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||14|
|No. of episodes||372 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Superjacket Productions (2014–present)|
Gorilla Flicks (2014–present)
Dickhouse Productions (2011–14)
|Distributor||Viacom Media Networks|
|Original network||MTV, MTV2|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||August 29, 2011 –|
On September 10, 2012, Ridiculousness was renewed for a twenty episode third season. It premiered on February 14, 2013, and included a crossover with Jersey Shore when Pauly D guest-starred. The season would later go into hiatus in April 2013 and return on July 18, 2013. Season 3 averaged a 1.6 P12-34 rating and is the No.1 original cable series in its time slot with P12-34.
As of October 2015, some episodes of Ridiculousness have been repackaged to replace the show's theme with an equivalent production music track as well as omitting any other well known songs used while showing the clips.
The series was renewed for a ninth season before the season 8 finale. The ninth season premiered on January 20, 2017. It is produced by Superjacket Productions, Rob Dyrdek's production company, under a multi-year deal with MTV.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||16||August 29, 2011||December 19, 2011|
|2||20||April 30, 2012||November 5, 2012|
|3||20||February 14, 2013||September 19, 2013|
|4||21||January 2, 2014||April 3, 2014|
|5||18||July 10, 2014||October 30, 2014|
|6||32||January 1, 2015||June 25, 2015|
|7||30||October 8, 2015||June 30, 2016|
|8||30||July 7, 2016||September 27, 2016|
|9||30||January 20, 2017||June 22, 2017|
|10||30||September 1, 2017||January 26, 2018|
|11||41||August 5, 2018||October 12, 2018|
|12||43||October 19, 2018||February 13, 2019|
|13||41||February 17, 2019||May 10, 2019|
|14||N/A||May 17, 2019||N/A|
David Wiegand of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote: "The best thing about watching (viral videos) online is that you don't have to listen to Dyrdek's patter or the stellar contributions of his guests... the bigger danger is in watching the show in the first place: You might die of boredom. In other words, don't try this at home."
In 2016, a New York Times study of the 50 TV shows with the most Facebook Likes found that Ridiculousness "is most popular in rural Alaska, New Mexico and Montana, and least popular in Washington D.C., Atlanta and San Francisco".
The program was very successful internationally, which eventually led to the creation of localized versions in some regions. These versions are hosted by local celebrities in their respective regions and is broadcast on international MTV networks, alongside the original U.S version, or on other selected channels.
|Chile||Canal 13||Ridículos Chile||2015–|||
|France||MTV France||Ridiculous Made In France||2016–|||
|Spain||MTV Spain||Vergüenza Ajena: Made in Spain|||
|Brazil||MTV (Brazil)||Ridículos MTV|||
|South Africa||MTV Africa(Simulcasts on MTV Base Africa)||Ridiculousness África|||
|Mexico||MTV (Latin America)||Ridículos MTV|||
|Sweden||MTV Sweden||Ridiculousness Sverige|||
|Poland||MTV Poland||Niemożliwe Made In Poland|||
|Italy||MTV (Italy)||Ridiculousness Itália|||
|MTV Netherlands||Dutch Ridiculousness|||
|Denmark||MTV Denmark||Ridiculousness Danmark||2017–|||
|Canada||MTV Canada, Priscilla Network (occasionally)||It's Ridiculous||2012-|
- Patten, Dominic (September 10, 2012). "MTV Renews 'Ridiculousness' For Third Season". Deadline Hollywood.
- Kondology, Amanda (September 10, 2012). "'Ridiculousness' Renewed by MTV For a Third Season". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Kondology, Amanda (January 17, 2013). "'Ridiculousness' Returns February 14 at 10PM". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 20, 2013). "MTV is Heating Up This Summer With the Return of Rob Drydek's 'Ridiculousness', 'Money From Strangers' and 'Nikki & Sara Live'". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 17, 2013). "'Ridiculousness' Renewed for Season 4 & 'Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory' Renewed for Season 6 by MTV". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- "Breaking News - Rob Dyrdek and His Production Company Super Jacket Sign Multi-Year Deal with MTV | TheFutonCritic.com". www.thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- Wiegand, David (August 26, 2011). "'Ridiculousness' review: silly and boring for MTV". www.sfgate.com. SF Gate. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- Katz, Josh (2016-12-27). "'Duck Dynasty' vs. 'Modern Family': 50 Maps of the U.S. Cultural Divide". The New York Times.
- "Ridículos Chile - 13.cl". 13.cl.
- "Ridiculous Made in France : Les présentateurs sont... - MTV France". www.mtv.fr.
- "Vergüenza Ajena Made in Spain - Programa - MTV España". www.mtv.es.
- "Ridículos - Programa de TV - MTV Brasil". MTV Brasil.
- "Ridiculousness is coming to Africa! and these are your hosts… - MTV South Africa". www.mtv.co.za.
- "Ridículos MTV - MTV America Latina". mtvla.com.
- "Ridiculousness Sverige - Shows - MTV". m.mtv.se.
- "Niemożliwe PL - Shows - MTV". m.mtv.pl.
- "Ridiculousness Italia - Programma - MTV Italia". ondemand.mtv.it.
- "Dutch Ridiculousness - Tv Show - MTV Nederland". m.mtv.nl.
- "Ridiculousness kommer til Danmark". MTV.dk.