Richard Edwin Shope (December 25, 1901 – October 2, 1966) was an American virologist who, together with his mentor Paul A. Lewis at the Rockefeller Institute, identified influenzavirus A in pigs in 1931. Using Shope's technique, Smith, Andrewes, and Laidlaw of England's Medical Research Council cultured it from a human in 1933. They and Shope in 1935 and 1936, respectively, identified it as the virus circulating in the 1918 pandemic. In 1933, Shope identified the Shope papillomavirus, which infects rabbits. His discovery later assist other researcher to link the papilloma virus to warts and cervical cancer. He received the 1957 Albert Lasker Clinical Medical Research Award.
Richard Edwin Shope
Richard Edwin Shope as a U.S. Navy officer
|Died||October 2, 1966(aged 64)|
|Alma mater||University of Iowa|
|Academic advisors||Dr. Paul Lewis|
- Van Epps, HL (2006). "Influenza: Exposing the true killer". J Exp Med. 203 (4): 803. doi:10.1084/jem.2034fta. PMC 2118275. PMID 16685764.
- Rockefeller University, "Awards & honors: Richard E Shope", Rockefeller.edu, 28 Jul 2012 (Web: access date).
- Frederick A. Murphy; Charles H. Calisher; Robert B. Tesh; David H. Walker (2004), "In Memoriam: Robert Ellis Shope: 1929–2004", Emerging Infectious Diseases, 10 (4): 762–65, doi:10.3201/eid1004.040156, PMC 3323084
- MacLeod, C M (1971). "Richard Edwin Shope, 1901-1966". Trans. Assoc. Am. Physicians. UNITED STATES. 84: 36–8. ISSN 0066-9458. PMID 4950622.
- ROUS, P (April 1965). "CITATION AND PRESENTATION THE ACADEMY MEDAL TO RICHARD E. SHOPE, M.D". Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine. UNITED STATES. 41: 401–3. ISSN 0028-7091. PMC 1750720. PMID 14257431.
- ROUS, P (1957). "Presentation of the Kober medal to Richard Shope". Trans. Assoc. Am. Physicians. Not Available. 70: 29–37. ISSN 0066-9458. PMID 13496111.
- SHOPE, R (1957). "Acceptance of the Kober medal for 1957". Trans. Assoc. Am. Physicians. Not Available. 70: 38–40. ISSN 0066-9458. PMID 13496112.
|This article about a biologist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|