Richard McGuire (born 1957) is an illustrator, comic book artist, children's book author, musician, and toy designer. His illustrations have been published in the New York Times, The New Yorker, and Le Monde. His short story Here is among the most lauded comic book stories from recent decades. He is a founding member and bassist for the band Liquid Liquid, best known for their song "Cavern", whose bass line has been frequently sampled.
|Known for||Comics, Illustration, musician|
- "The Dot Man," 1 pg. from Bad News #3 (Fantagraphics, 1988)
- Here, 6 pgs. from RAW vol. 2 #1 (1989) (ISBN 9780140122657). Reprinted in An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons and True Stories vol. 1 (Yale University Press, 2006) (ISBN 9780300111705) and Comic Art #8 (Buenaventura Press, 2006) (ISBN 9781584232575)
- "The Thinkers," 1 pg. from RAW vol. 2 #2 (1990) (ISBN 9780140122657)
- "Bon appétit," fold-out comic booklet from 2wBOX Set I (Switzerland: Bülb Comix, 2002)
- "ctrl," 6 pgs. from Timothy McSweeney's Quarterly Concern#13 (2003) (ISBN 9781932416084)
- The Orange Book (New York: Children's Universe, 1992) (ISBN 9780847814657)
- Night Becomes Day (New York: Viking, 1994) (ISBN 9780670855476)
- What Goes Around Comes Around (New York: Viking, 1995) (ISBN 9780670863969)
- What's Wrong With This Book? (New York: Viking, 1997) (ISBN 9780670868520)
- Heller, Steven (September 25, 2014). "The One-Room Time Machine". The Atlantic. Retrieved November 11, 2014.
- Schuessler, Jennifer (September 25, 2014). "Sharing a Sofa With Dinosaurs". The New York Times. Retrieved November 11, 2014.
- "From Here to Here: Richard McGuire Makes a Book". The Morgan Library & Museum. Retrieved November 11, 2014.
- "Liquid Liquid: The Most Important NY Band You've Never Heard Of". Observer. 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Cavern by Liquid Liquid on WhoSampled". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Here by Richard McGuire". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Lohier, Patrick. "Here is Richard McGuire's epic of time". Boing Boing. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Official website
- Willing to Try- a Flash-based site he designed
- A general overview of his entire career
- A sample of his New Yorker covers
- Sample images of his "Bon appétit" booklet
- Notes from a UK comics event
- An interview on his music and comics careers
- An interview concerning his animated works
- Spoiler Alert Radio interview
- Who's Afraid of Noir- an interview
- Strapazin interview(in German)