The neutrality of this article is disputed. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Richard Allen Landes (born June 26, 1949) is an American historian and author of Jewish origin, specializing in Millennialism. He coined the term "Pallywood" for what he considers the practice of staged filming of evidence against Israel for the benefit of the Palestinians. He currently serves as an associate professor in the Department of History at Boston University. Landes was the director of the now quiescent Center for Millennial Studies. Landes is the son of the late Harvard Professor of Economics and History David S. Landes.
Israel and "Pallywood"Edit
Landes is notable for views on the use of film footage related to conflicts in Israel, in particular his use of the term Pallywood (Palestinian Hollywood), which is described by Ruthie Blum, writing in the Jerusalem Post, as a term coined by Landes to refer to "productions staged by the Palestinians, in front of (and often with cooperation from) Western camera crews, for the purpose of promoting anti-Israel propaganda by disguising it as news." Landes himself describes Pallywood as "a term I coined... to describe staged material disguised as news." Landes cites the film of the shooting of Muhammad al-Durrah, the Gaza beach blast and Hamas's alleged exploitation of electricity shortages during the 2007–2008 Israel-Gaza conflict, as incidents of Pallywood.
He maintains two web sites:
- Landes, Richard A.; Head, Thomas J. (eds.) (1987). Essays on the Peace of God : the church and the people in eleventh-century France. Waterloo, Ontario: Waterloo University. OCLC 18039359.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Landes, Richard A.; Paupert, Catherine (trans.) (1991). Naissance d'Apôtre: Les origines de la Vita prolixior de Saint Martial de Limoges au XIe siècle. Turnhout, Belgium: Brepols. ISBN 978-2-503-50045-4.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Landes, Richard A.; Head, Thomas J. (eds.) (1992). The Peace of God: social violence and religious response in France around the year 1000. Ithaca, N.Y: Cornell University Press. ISBN 0-8014-2741-X.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Landes, Richard A. (1995). Relics, apocalypse, and the deceits of history: Ademar of Chabannes, 989-1034. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-75530-8.
- Landes, Richard A. (ed.) (2000). Encyclopedia of Millennialism and Millennial Movements. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-92246-1.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Landes, Richard A.; Van Meter, David C.; Gow, Andrew Sydenham Farrar (2003). The apocalyptic year 1000: religious expectation and social change, 950-1050. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-511191-5.
- Landes, Richard A. (2011). Heaven on Earth: The Varieties of the Millennial Experience. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199753598.
- Landes, Richard A.; Katz, Stephen (eds.). The Paranoid Apocalypse: A Hundred Year Retrospective on The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. New York, 2011: New York University Press. ISBN 9780814748923.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- “Jews as Contested Ground in Post-Modern Conspiracy Theory", Jewish Political Studies Review, Vol. 19, Nos. 3-4 (2007), 9-34.
- “Edward Said and the Culture of Honor and Shame: Orientalism and Our Misperceptions of the Arab-Israeli Conflict” in Special issue of Israel Affairs, 13:4 (2007), 84-58, and in Divine, Donna; Salzman, Philip (eds.) (2007). Postcolonial Theory and the Arab-Israeli Conflict. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-44325-8.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- "Goldstone's Gaza Report, Part I: A Failure of Intelligence", Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA), January 2010.
- "Goldstone's Gaza Report, Part II: A Miscarriage of Human Rights," Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA), January 2010.
- Anit-Zionism:21st Century Avatar of the Longest Hatred, Fathom, Summer 2016
- Martin, Douglas. "David S. Landes, Historian and Author, Is Dead at 89". nytimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- One on One: Framing the debate, Jerusalem Post
- Lifshitz, Felice (2004). "Review of The Apocalyptic Year 1000: Religious Expectation and Social Change, 950-1050". Speculum. 79 (4): 1110–1112. JSTOR 20463117.
- Appleby, David (2009). "Review of The Apocalyptic Year 1000: Religious Expectation and Social Change, 950-1050". The Catholic Historical Review. 95 (1): 120–122. JSTOR 27745469.
- Richard Landes author's website
- The Second Draft
- The Augean Stables
- Daily Telegraph blog
- Chattopadhyay, Subhasis. Review of Heaven on Earth in Prabuddha Bharata or Awakened India 122 (5):480-2 (2017). ISSN 0032-6178. Edited by Swami Narasimhananda.