This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paula F. Fredriksen (born January 6, 1951, Kingston, Rhode Island) is an American historian and a scholar of religious studies. She held the position of William Goodwin Aurelio Professor of the Appreciation of Scripture at Boston University through 2010 and is now the William Goodwin Aurelio Chair Emerita of the Appreciation of Scripture. She served as historical consultant for the BBC production The Lives of Jesus (1996) and for U.S. News and World Report 's "The Life and Times of Jesus" and was featured speaker in the Frontline documentary From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians (1998), based heavily on her book From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Jesus.
Fredriksen is a scholar of the historical Jesus. While some historians interpret the historical Jesus as a non-apocalyptic ethical teacher, she sides with those who portray him as an apocalyptic preacher in the tradition of prophets before him and apostles after him.
In addition to the historical Jesus, Fredriksen is also interested in the social history of Christianity from its beginnings to the fall of the Roman Empire. She has published two books on St. Augustine, both focused on his attitudes towards Jews and Judaism. In contrast to other historians of Christian anti-Semitism, she regards Augustine as having a more enlightened, indeed revolutionary, attitude towards Jews and Judaism than many of his other Christian contemporaries.
One of the editors of her book From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Jesus was the New Testament scholar E.P. Sanders. Along with Geza Vermes, she is often regarded as one of the most influential scholars interested in replacing Jesus within a Jewish context.
She has held that much of the scholarship regarding Jesus from the 19th and 20th centuries has an anti-Judaic (and/or anti-Semitic) bias, a theme explored in her book Jesus, Judaism, and Christian anti-Judaism: Reading the New Testament after the Holocaust. Her book From Jesus to Christ, (Yale University Press, 1988) received its publisher's Governors' Award. Her book Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews: A Jewish Life and the Emergence of Christianity (Knopf 1999) won a National Jewish Book Award.
In 2013 Paula Fredriksen was elected to the American Academy of Arts & Sciences (AAAS).
Prof. Fredriksen's latest appointment is at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel.
Fredriksen is married to Alfred I. Tauber, professor of philosophy emeritus and Zoltan Kohn Professor of Medicine emeritus at Boston University.
- Augustine on Romans, Chico: Scholars Press, 1982.
- From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Jesus (Yale Nota Bene), Yale University Press, 1988 (2nd edition, 2000).
- Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews: A Jewish Life and the Emergence of Christianity, Vintage Press, 2000.
- Jesus, Judaism, and Christian Anti-Judaism: Reading the New Testament After the Holocaust, Adele Reinhartz, Westminster John Knox Press; 2002.
- On The Passion of the Christ: Exploring the Issues Raised by the Controversial Movie, University of California Press, 2006.
- Augustine and the Jews: A Christian Defense of Jews and Judaism, Doubleday Religion, 2008.
- Sin: The Early History of an Idea, Princeton University Press, 2012
- Jesus and Brian: exploring the historical Jesus and his times via Monty Python's Life of Brian, chapter 12 'Are you a virgin?' Biblical exegesis and the invention of tradition. Book edited by Joan E.Taylor, Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2015.
- Academic biography at Boston University that includes her complete CV.
- Introduction to Fredriksen's book From Jesus to Christ.
- Your Questions to Paula Fredriksen from Beliefnet.com.
- Jesus, Paul and the Origins of Christianity, video lecture at Princeton University
- Paul, Pagans and the Redemption of Israel video of lecture at University of Minnesota
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 1 & 2 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- Introduction Archived 2006-01-31 at the Wayback Machine. to Fredriksen's book From Jesus to Christ.
- Time Magazine coverage of Dr. Fredriksen
- Paula Fredrikson, Faculty biography
- Fredrikson, Paula, "Controversial 'Passion' presents priceless opportunity for education - A toxic film delivers a dangerous, but teachable, moment", Chrtistian Science Monitor, Feb 2, 2004.
- Paula Fredriksen, On ‘The Passion of the Christ’: Exploring the Issues Raised by the Controversial Movie, University of California Press, February 1, 2006.