Rey de Reyes (2014)
Rey de Reyes (Spanish for "King of Kings") was a professional wrestling event produced by the Lucha Libre AAA World Wide (AAA) promotion, which took take place on March 16, 2014, at Plaza de Toros Monumental Lorenzo Garza in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. The event was the 18th event produced under the Rey de Reyes name and also the 18th time that the Rey de Reyes tournament was held.
|Rey de Reyes (2014)|
Promotional poster featuring various AAA wrestlers
|Promotion||Lucha Libre AAA World Wide|
|Date||March 16, 2014|
|City||Monterrey, Nuevo León|
|Venue||Plaza de Toros Monumental Lorenzo Garza|
|Rey de Reyes chronology|
Starting in 1997 and every year since then the Mexican Lucha Libre, or professional wrestling, company Lucha Libre AAA World Wide (AAA, or Triple A) has held a Rey de Reyes (Spanish for "King of Kings') show in the spring. The 1997 version was held in February, while all subsequent Rey de Reyes shows were held in March. As part of their annual Rey de Reyes event AAA holds the eponymious Rey de Reyes tournament to determine that specific year's Rey. Most years the show hosts both the qualifying round and the final match, but on occasion the qualifying matches have been held prior to the event as part of AAA's weekly television shows. The traditional format consists of four preliminary rounds, each a Four-man elimination match with each of the four winners face off in the tournament finals, again under elimination rules. There have been years where AAA has employed a different format to determine a winner. The winner of the Rey de Reyes tournament is given a large ornamental sword to symbolize their victory, but is normally not guaranteed any other rewards for winning the tournament, although some years becoming the Rey de Reyes has earned the winner a match for the AAA Mega Championship. From 1999 through 2009 AAA also held an annual Reina de Reinas ("Queen of Queens") tournament, but later turned that into an actual championship that could be defended at any point during the year, abandoning the annual tournament concept. The 2014 show was the 18th Rey de Reyes show in the series.
The Rey de Reyes show featured seven professional wrestling matches with different wrestlers involved in pre-existing, scripted feuds, plots, and storylines. Wrestlers were portrayed as either heels (referred to as rudos in Mexico, those that portray the "bad guys") or faces (técnicos in Mexico, the "good guy" characters) as they followed a series of tension-building events, which culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
- "Cartel Completo: Rey de Reyes 2014". Lucha Libre AAA World Wide (in Spanish). Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Listo el cartel de Rey de Reyes". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). March 4, 2014. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- Zellner, Kris (March 5, 2014). "The Lucha Report". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Asistencia Asesoria y Administracion Rey de Reyes". ProWrestlingHistory.com. February 21, 1997. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "1997 Especial!". Box y Lucha Magazine (in Spanish). January 7, 1998. pp. 2–28. issue 2332.
- "Número Especial - Lo mejor de la lucha libre mexicana durante el 2004". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). January 24, 2005. Issue 91.
- Royal Duncan and Gary Will (2000). "Mexico: AAA Reina de Reinas". Wrestling Title Histories. Archeus Communications. p. 400. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.
- SuperLuchas staff (January 6, 2008). "Lo Mejor de la Lucha Libre Mexicana 2008". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). issue 296. Retrieved July 11, 2009.
- Marquina, Alva (September 26, 2009). "AAA- Héroes Inmortales III- (Resultados en vivo 26 septiembre 2009) – Cibernético gana el Trofeo Antonio Peña – Electroshock sustituye a Charly Manson contra Chessman – El luchador sorpresa fue Konan Big" (in Spanish). Super Luchas. Retrieved September 27, 2009.
- "La Parka, Rey de Reyes 2014". Lucha Libre AAA World Wide (in Spanish). March 17, 2014. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Zellner, Kris (March 17, 2014). "AAA Rey de Reyes 2014 results and more: The Lucha Report". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved March 18, 2014.