Regina Iosifovna Tyshkevich (Belarusian: Рэгіна Іосіфаўна Тышкевіч; 20 October 1929 – 17 November 2019) was a Belarusian mathematician, a professor of the Belarusian State University, and an expert in graph theory.
Her main scientific interests included Intersection graphs, degree sequences, and the reconstruction conjecture. She was also known for co-inventing split graphs and for her contributions to line graphs of hypergraphs.
In 1998, she was awarded the Belarus State Prize for her book Lectures in Graph Theory. Her textbook An Introduction into Mathematics written together with her two colleagues, presents mathematics as an integrated discipline, rather than a loose collection of problem-solving techniques.
In 2009, she was awarded the Francisco Scorina Medal (Russian: Медаль Франциска Скорины).
An international conference "Discrete Mathematics, Algebra, and their Applications", sponsored by the Central European Initiative, was held in Minsk, Belarus, October 2009 in honor of her 80th birthday.
Regina Tyshkevich was a direct descendant of the Tyszkiewicz magnate family, therefore her colleagues sometimes called her "the countess of graph theory", which is a pun in the Russian language: the Russian word "граф" (graf) is a homonym for two words meaning "count" and "graph".
Books and selected publicationsEdit
- (With Suprunenko, D. A.) "Commutative Matrices", 1968, Academic Press ISBN 0-12-677050-6
- (With Emilichev, V. A., Melnikov, O. I., Sarvanov, V. I.) "Lectures on Graph Theory", B. I. Wissenschaftsverlag, 1994 ISBN 3-411-17121-9
- Russian original: "Lektsii po teorii grafov", 1990
- (With O. Melnikov and V. Sarvanov, etc.) "Exercises in Graph Theory", Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998, ISBN 0-7923-4906-7
- "Linear Algebra and Analytical Geometry (Линейная алгебра и аналитическая геометрия)
- Кононов С.Г., Тышкевич Р.И., Янчевский В.И. "Введение в математику" ("An Introduction into Mathematics") 3 volumes, Minsk, Belarusain State University, 2003
- R.I. Tyshkevich. Decomposition of graphical sequences and unigraphs // Discrete Math., 2000, Vol. 220, p. 201 - 238.
- Yury Metelsky, Regina Tyshkevich: Line Graphs of Helly Hypergraphs. SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics 16(3): 438-448 (2003)
- 1979 (Почетная грамота Министерства высшего и среднего образования БССР «За многолетнюю плодотворную научно-методическую деятельность»);
- 1985: Veteran of Labor Medal (Медаль «Ветеран труда»);
- 1992: (почетное звание «Заслуженный работник народного образования Республики Беларусь»)
- 1998: Belarus State Prize (государственная премия Республики Беларусь);
- 2009:Medal of Frantsysk Skaryna 
- "Мехмат соболезнует родным и близким Тышкевич Регины Иосифовны". Belarusian State University (in Russian). November 18, 2019. Retrieved November 19, 2019.
- Артеага, Вера (October 28, 2006), "Графиня» теории графов [A Countess of Graph Theory]", Республика, archived from the original on September 26, 2007CS1 maint: unfit url (link).(retrieved February 8, 2007); (archive; text-only, (retrieved May 11, 2016))
- https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Regina+Tyshkevich&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search - On Google scholar
- Conference announcement.
- "Тышкевич Регина Иосифовна", a Belarus State University webpage (retrieved May 9, 2016)