Raymond "Żażu" Farrugia (born 1 October 1955 in Floriana, Malta) is a football coach and former player. He is currently the head coach for the Malta national football team, having been appointed on 2 May 2018.
|Full name||Raymond 'Żażu' Farrugia|
|Date of birth||1 October 1955|
|Place of birth||Floriana, Malta|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Ray Farrugia started out in his hometown team of Floriana, where he played for four years between 1974 and 1978. In 1978, he left for Sydney, Australia, to play for Melita Eagles. He was popular enough to be honoured with the first ever testimonial match in Australia.
In 1990, he returned to Malta to play for Naxxar Lions, until 1994.
Farrugia played four times for Malta, twice against Tunisia, the infamous 12–1 defeat against Spain, and once against the Netherlands. He had attracted the interest of Australia when playing in Sydney, however he was unable to join the squad since he had already turned out for Malta.
Between 1994 and 1998, Farrugia coached Naxxar Lions. He served as the head coach of the Malta under-21 team between 2011 and 2014. In 2014, he was promoted to assistant coach to Pietro Ghedin who was at the helm of the Malta senior side.
Farrugia debuted as Malta manager on May 29, 2018, against the Armenia national football team with a satisfactory draw. He introduced Malta national under-21 football team players in the squad, such as the likes of Jake Grech and Jurgen Degabriele. He also handed a full debut to Gozitan Ferdinando Apap. Farrugia's second match was a narrow defeat of 1-0 against the Georgia national football team.
- As of match played 10 June 2019
|Malta||2 May 2018||Present||12||1||4||7||8.3|
- "I want to coach the senior side - Ray 'Zazu' Farrugia". Malta Today. 15 April 2001. Archived from the original on 18 April 2001. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- "Farrugia 'proud and honoured' to be new Malta coach". Malta Football Association. 2 May 2018. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "The Story of Ray 'Zazu' Farrugia". The Malta Independent. 8 February 2005. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Aquilina, Domenic (22 August 2016). "Ray 'Zazu' Farrugia upbeat ahead of World Cup qualifying match against Scotland". The Malta Independent. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Ray 'Zazu' Farrugia promoted to assistant national coach". The Malta Independent. 11 July 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Vella, Matthew (2 May 2018). "Ray 'Zazu' Farrugia named Malta coach after Saintfiet sacking". Malta Today. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Brincat, Henry (3 May 2018). ""It's like I've seen my mother once again" – Ray Farrugia on his appointment as national coach". The Malta Independent. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Agius secures draw with Armenia in Ray Farrugia's debut as coach - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt.
- Ltd, Allied Newspapers. "Farrugia opts for a blend of youth and experience in Malta squad".
- Ltd, Allied Newspapers. "Malta concede late defeat to Georgia".
- Ray Farrugia at National-Football-Teams.com