This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015)
|Full name||Naxxar Lions Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||The Lions, The Pride of the North|
|League||Maltese Challenge League|
|2021–22||Maltese Challenge League, Group A, 4th|
Their historical and arch-rivals are Mosta FC. A match between Naxxar Lions and Mosta FC, is known as the derby of the north, but because there are other derbies in northern Malta it is also known as the Northern Classic.
The club had a very positive period in the 1940s and after some years languishing in the lower divisions, the club had several years of glory. In 1946 they secured promotion on the top flight division after winning the decider against Ħamrun Liberty. Michael Zammit Tabona was appointed president in the 1980s, establishing the club as one of the best on the island, playing for several years in the Maltese Premier Division. After being relegated from the top league at the beginning of the new century, the club had to face a difficult period and was relegated to third division a few years ago.
Following the recent successful seasons Naxxar Lions were promoted from 3rd Division to 2nd Division in season 2009–10, from 2nd Division to 1st Division in season 2010–11 and maintaining 1st Division status in season 2011–12 placing in 6th position. In the 2012–13 season Naxxar Lions gained promotion to the Maltese Premier League with Dione Drago as the president. After three consecutive years in the Premier League, they were relegated back to first division. The following season, Naxxar Lions gained again promotion to the Maltese Premier League under the Presidency of Pierre Sciberras.
In September 2017, Mr Yahya Kirdi took over Naxxar Lions Football Club and was appointed as President. Naxxar Lions were relegated to the first division in the last match of the Premier League. During Season 2018-19, against all odds, Naxxar Lions FC managed to finish in the 4th place of the First Division League.
Pierre Sciberras was re-appointed the club President for Season 2019-20 which ended in March 2020 due to the Covid-19 situation, finishing 4th place. Naxxar Lions FC played Season 2020/21 in the BOV Challenge League and finished 4th. Naxxar Lions FC celebrated the 100 Years Anniversary (1920-2020). Angelo Pullicino was appointed as Club President in December 2020.
Naxxar Lions FC will be playing Season 2022/23 in the BOV Challenge League.
- President - Angelo Pullicino
- Vice President - Clifford Galea Vella
- Secretary - Simon Camilleri
- Asst.Secretary - Clint Muscat
- Treasurer - Jonathan Carachi
- MFA Council Member - Angelo Pullicino
- Members - Shaun Camilleri / Victor Bellia / Sandro Galea / James Fenech
- Head Coach - George Vella
- Assistant Coach - Leslie Noel Burke
- Team Manager - Adrian Ciappara
- Kit Manager - Clivert Burke
- Club Doctor - Dr. Christopher Deguara
- Nursery Representative - Clint Muscat
- Nursery Head Coach - Charles Muscat
- Club Administrators - Adrian Ciappara
- Website & Social Media Administrator - Shaun Camilleri
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- Baldacchino, Carmel (29 April 2021). "Naxxar Lions and Ħamrun Liberty battle for honours". SportsDesk. Retrieved 2 May 2021.