Rajab (Arabic: رجب) is the seventh month of the Islamic calendar. The lexical definition of Rajaba is "to respect", of which Rajab is a derivative. This month is regarded as one of the four sacred months in Islam in which battles are prohibited. The pre-Islamic Arabs also considered warfare blasphemous during the four months.
- Abu Hurairah said that the Prophet said:
There will be an Ayah (sign) in (the month of) Ramadan. Then, there will 'isabah (splitting into groups) in Shawwal. Then, there will be fighting in (the month of) Dhu al-Qi'dah. Then, the pilgrim will be robbed in (the month of) Dhu al-Hijjah. Then, the prohibitions will be violated in (the month of) al-Muharram. Then, there will be sound in (the month of) Safar, then the tribes will conflict with each other in the two months of Rabi' al-awwal & Rabi' al-thani. Then, the most amazing thing will happen between (the months of) Jumada and Rajab. Then, a well-fed she-camel will be better than a fortress (castle) sheltering a thousand (people).
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the lunar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year, Rajab migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Rajab, based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia, are:
|AH||First day (CE/AD)||Last day (CE/AD)|
|1437||8 April 2016||7 May 2016|
|1438||29 March 2017||26 April 2017|
|1439||18 March 2018||16 April 2018|
|1440||8 March 2019||5 April 2019|
|1441||25 February 2020||24 March 2020|
|1442||13 February 2021||13 March 2021|
- The Battle of Tabouk took place in Rajab, 9 A.H. (October 630)
- The second Oath of Aqabah took place in Rajab, 12 A.H. (September 633)
- 6 Rajab: Many Sufi followers of the Chishti tariqa (path) celebrate the anniversary of Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti
- 7 Rajab: Twelvers observe the Festival of Imam Musa al-Kazim in dedication of Musā' al-Kādhim. This is so that we do not miss celebrating the birth of the 7th Imam which took place in the month of Safar. In the 7th month (Rajab), on the 7th day we celebrate the birth of 7th Imam.
- 22 Rajab, Koonday (table cloth dinner) is organized by Shiites (not all, as it is controversial) among Muslims of South Asia. It is an occasion for Muslims to discuss Allah and the Ahlul Bayt and to strengthen ties among the community with love and compassion.
- 27 Rajab, Mi'raj, the day Muhammad is believed to have ascended to heaven. It is a national holiday in some Muslim countries.
- 28 Rajab, Husayn ibn ‘Alī started his journey to Kufa from Medina.
- 1 Rajab: Muhammad al-Bāqir, Shī‘ah Imām
- 5 Rajab: ‘Alī al-Naqī, Twelver Imām
- 9 Rajab: ‘Alī al-Asghar
- 10 Rajab: Muhammad al-Taqī, ninth Twelver Imām
- 13 Rajab: ‘Alī ibn Abī Tālib
- 20 Rajab: Sakina bint Hussain
- 3 Rajab: ‘Alī al-Naqī, Twelver Imam & Uwais al-Qarni, Companion Of Prophet Muhammad
- 6 Rajab: Mu'īnuddīn Chishtī, The Founder Of Chishti Order Of Sufism And One Of The Greatest Sufi Saints
- 8 Rajab: Nazim Al-Haqqani, a Turkish Cypriot Sufi Muslim sheykh and spiritual leader of the Naqshbandi tariqa.
- 15 Rajab: Zainab bint Ali
- 18 Rajab: Abraham (according to Shi'a Islam)
- 22 Rajab: Muawiyah I
- 25 Rajab: Musā' al-Kādhim, seventh Twelver Imam
- 26 Rajab: Abu Talib ibn Abdul Muttalib, uncle of Muhammad and father of Ali
The name of Rajab literally designated to the meaning like respected, regarded, and admired. It seems that the word is originally Semitic one. There are different points about the numeration of the days of the month. Somebodies believe that the month is 29 days and the other believe that the month is 30 days. There are two important events during the month namely the birthday of Ali ibn Abi Talib and the Muhammad's first revelation in the Shia tradition. Just as the month honored before the appearance of Islam, the dignity of that is regarded by the very religion of Islam. Also during the month referred to the forbidding of war. There are also other names for the Rajab such as Rajab Al morrajjab,Rajab Al Asab..
The Shi'a believe that there are many virtues of the month. According to some narrations, the month belongs to Ali while the month of Shaban is the month of Prophet Muhammad. Musa al-Kadhim (the seventh Imam of the Shia) has narrated that the Rajab is like a river in the heaven which is whiter and sweeter than honey.