It could possibly mean "possessor or owner of the sitting and seating place" - the space occupied while sitting or the manner of the sitting, pose or posture.
It is one of the four sacred months in Islam during which warfare is prohibited, hence the name "Master of Truces".
The most correct and most traditionally widespread transliteration of the month according to the thirteenth century Syrian jurist al-Nawawi is Dhu'l Qa'dah. Al-Nawawi also mentions that a smaller group of linguists allow the transliteration Dhu'l-Qi'dah, however. In modern times, it is most commonly referred to as Dhu'l Qi'dah although this is neither linguistically nor historically the strongest position.
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the tropical year, Dhu'l-Qi'dah migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Dhu'l-Qi'dah, based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia, are:
|AH||First day (CE/AD)||Last day (CE/AD)|
|1439||14 July 2018||11 August 2018|
|1440||4 July 2019||1 August 2019|
|1441||22 June 2020||21 July 2020|
|1442||11 June 2021||10 July 2021|
|1443||31 May 2022||29 June 2022|
|1444||21 May 2023||18 June 2023|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 5 AH, the Muslims took part in the Battle of the Trench
- 6 AH, Truce of Hudaubiyah
- 6 AH, Pledge of the Tree
- 7 AH, The first pilgrimage - the return to Mecca for the performance of Umrah by Muhammad and his companions
- 1 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, birth anniversary of Fātimah bint Mūsā
- 1 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, Treaty of Hudaybiyyah
- 8 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, Hajj was made incumbent upon Muslims in 8 AH
- 11 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, birth anniversary of Imam Ali ibn Musa al-Ridha, the eighth Twelver Imam
- 23 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, martyrdom of Imam Ali al-Ridha according to one tradition
- 25 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, Arabic: يوم دحو الارض, the day earth was laid beneath the Ka'ba, and the birth date of Ibrahim and Jesus
- 29 Dhu'l-Qi'dah, martyrdom of Imam Muhammad ibn Ali at-Taqi al-Jawad, the ninth Twelver Imam
- Youssof, R. (1890). Dictionnaire portatif turc-français de la langue usuelle en caractères latins et turcs. Constantinople. p. 642.
- Youssof, R. (1890). Dictionnaire portatif turc-français de la langue usuelle en caractères latins et turcs. Constantinople. p. 632.
- Sharh Sahih Muslim, Kitab al Qisama wal Muharibeen wal Qisas wal Diyyaat, باب تغليظ تحريم الدماء والأعراض والأموال
- Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia