Renaissance Sportive de Berkane (Arabic: النهضة الرياضية البركانية) commonly known as Nahdat Berkane or RS Berkane for short, is a Moroccan sports club based in Berkane, Morocco. The club's football team is currently playing in the first division of Moroccan championship Botola. The club finished in 2nd place in the Botola 2 in the 2011–12 season, which led to the promotion to the first division.
|Full name||Renaissance Sportive de Berkane |
النهضة الرياضية البركانية
|Nickname(s)||The Oranges Boys|
|Ground||Stade Municipal de Berkane|
|Chairman||Hakim ben abdellah|
The club was founded in 1938 under the name of Association Sportive de Berkane. In 1953, the club was named Union Sportive Musulmane de Berkane.
In 1966 it was renamed Union Sportive de Berkane and in the same year, a new club was founded under the name of Chabab Riadhi de Berkane.
In 1971, both teams merged to make Renaissance Sportive de Berkane (Nahdat Berkane). This merger was beneficial for the club, it entered the 1st division in 1977–78.
The RSB regained its spot in the first moroccan division in 2012, under the presidency of Fouzi Lekjaa, who ran the club since 2009.
In 2018, RS Berkane won its first ever title, the Moroccan Throne Cup.
Berkane have been making steady progress over the years, culminating with their first continental silverware. After their Confederation Cup campaign ended at the quarter-final stage in 2018, they went further in 2019 and lost the final to Zamalek.
In 2020, Renaissance Sportive De Berkane was crowned Confederation Cup champions, clinching their first continental title in their history. The club beat Egyptians Pyramids 1–0 in the final game at Moulay Abdellah stadium in Rabat.
In the semi-final, which was played at Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat, “RSB” beat countrymates “HUSA”, Hassania d’Agadir 2–1. The two goals of the qualified team were a 20th and a 61st minute penalty kicks scored by the same player, Mohamed Aziz.
The CAF confederation cup title won by “Renaissance Sportive De Berkane” yesterday is the seventh of its kind for Moroccan football and the fifth if the new format of the competition is being considered.
RS Berkane’s 2019–20 season was impressive as the Oranges were chasing for the domestic league title up until the final fixtures. They eventually finished third on the national league table (Botola Pro) with 57 points, three points behind champions Raja Casablanca. Additionally, they only lost three games out of 30, the lowest in the league.
- Winners: 2018
- Winners: 2019–20
- As of 25 September 2020
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- "Fouzi Lekjaa Resigns as President of Renaissance Sportive de Berkane". albawaba. 2019-08-22. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- "Morocco: Naji - Berkane's Faithful 'Combatant'". all africa. 2020-10-18. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- "Ex-Warriors star explains RS Berkane's success". bulawayo 24 news. 2020-11-01. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- "" RENAISSANCE SPORTIVE DE BERKANE " CROWNED CAF CUP CHAMPIONS". panafricanfootball. 2020-10-25. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- ""RSB" MOVE CLOSER TO CONFEDERATION CUP TITLE". panafricanfootball. 2020-10-20. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- "RSB 'S TITLE: IS IT THE 5TH OR 7TH FOR MOROCCO?". panafricanfootball. 2020-10-26. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- "We deservedly won the Confederation Cup, says RS Berkane manager". panafricanfootball. 2020-10-26. Retrieved 2020-12-01.
- Club profile - Soccerway