|Minister of Housing & Urban Development|
|Minister of Forest & Environment|
|Member of Legislative Assembly|
|Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha|
30 June 2016 – 10 may 2021
|Deputy Co-ordinator of ADMK|
|Assumed office |
Vaithilingam was Minister for Housing and Urban Development in the Government of Tamil Nadu prior to his defeat by M. Ramachandran in the state assembly election of 2016. The defeat was described as a giant-killing outcome. As a cadre of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK), he had been elected to the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly from the Orathanad constituency in 2001, 2006 and 2011.
- "DMK and AIADMK edge out others in Thanjavur district". The Hindu. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- 2001 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- 2006 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- "List of MLAs from Tamil Nadu" (PDF). Chief Electoral Officer, Tamil Nadu.
- "26 Rajya Sabha members elected unopposed in six states (Roundup)". The Times of India. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Bihar: Piyush Goyal, Chidambaram, Suresh Prabhu, Sharad Yadav elected to Rajya Sabha". The Economic Times. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2017.