Qasim Khan Suri (Urdu: قاسم خان سوری) is a Pakistani politician who is the current and 19th Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan since August 2018.
Qasim Khan Suri
|19th Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan|
|Assumed office |
15 August 2018
|Preceded by||Murtaza Javed Abbasi|
|Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan|
|Assumed office |
13 August 2018
|Born||January 1969 (age 50–51)|
|Political party||Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf|
|Education||Federal Government College|
|Alma mater||University of Balochistan|
Early life and educationEdit
He was born in January 1969 in Quetta, to a Pashtun family from the Sur tribe, who are a sub-clan of the Khiljis. His father had a medicine business which Suri took over in 1997 after death of his father. His mother is of Urdu-speaking background.
Suri received his early education from the Quetta Islamia School and enrolled in Federal Government College in 1988. He received a bachelor's degree in political science in 1990 and a master's degree in international relations in 1992, both from the University of Balochistan.
He ran for the seat of the National Assembly of Pakistan as a candidate of PTI from Constituency NA-259 (Quetta) in 2013 Pakistani general election but was unsuccessful. He received 16,006 votes and lost the seat to Mahmood Khan Achakzai.
Following Suri's successful election, PTI nominated him for the Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan on 13 August 2018. On 15 August 2018, he was elected as Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan. He received 183 votes out of a total of 327, defeating his opponent, Asad Mehmood who secured 144 votes.
On 27 September 2019, an election tribunal of Balochistan High Court nullified Suri's election and ordered fresh elections in the constituency, that resulted in his denotification. On 7 October 2019, however the Supreme Court of Pakistan suspended the election tribunal's decision and ordered the ECP not to issue the election schedule for NA-265.
- Notezai, Muhammad Akbar (14 August 2018). "Qasim Suri: perseverance pays off". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "PTI nominates Qasim Khan Suri for NA deputy speaker slot | The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 13 August 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "2013 election result" (PDF). ECP. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Imran Khan's PTI on top as election results come in". Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Election results: Imran Khan's PTI on top". Geo News. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "PTI nominates Balochistan MNA Qasim Suri for deputy speaker post". DAWN.COM. 13 August 2018. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "PTI's Asad Qaiser sworn in as NA speaker amid opposition ruckus". DAWN.COM. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- Nihad Ghalib (2019-09-27). "Qasim Suri's National Assembly membership nullified by election tribunal". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2019-09-27.
- "ECP de-notifies Qasim Suri as National Assembly member". The Express Tribune. October 2, 2019.
- "SC suspends election tribunal's decision to deseat Qasim Suri". Dawn. October 7, 2019.
|This article about a Pakistani politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|