Pudahuel (Spanish pronunciation: [puðaˈwel], Mapudungun "place of pools/water" or "place where seagulls gather") is a commune of Chile located in Santiago Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region. Santiago's international airport Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez is located there.
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Johnny Carrasco Cerda (PS)|
|• Total||197.4 km2 (76.2 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (CLT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (CLST)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Pudahuel|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Pudahuel spans an area of 197.4 km2 (76 sq mi) and has 195,653 inhabitants (96,328 men and 99,325 women). Of these, 192,258 (98.3%) lived in urban areas and 3,395 (1.7%) in rural areas. The population grew by 41.8% (57,713 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Area: 197.4 km²
- Population: 237,863 (2006 projection)[dead link]
- Average annual household income: US$19,766 (PPP, 2006)[dead link]
- Population below poverty line: 7.1% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 71.61, mid-low, 39 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.735, 59 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, Pudahuel is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012–2016 alcalde is Johnny Carrasco Cerda (PS).[needs update] The communal council has the following members:
- Gabriela Carrasco Tobar (PS)
- Bernardo Norambuena González (UDI)
- Sonia Oyarzún Elgueta (PPD)
- Mónica Sánchez Aceituno (PS)
- Victor Saavedra Torres (PS)
- Tamara Homel Navarro (PC)
- Ester Toledo Alcaino (UDI)
- Lavinia Reyes Serra (PS)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Pudahuel is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Patricio Melero (UDI) and Gabriel Silber (PDC) as part of the 16th electoral district, (together with Colina, Lampa, Tiltil and Quilicura). The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Pudahuel" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 13 July 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile. Archived April 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "Las Trayectorias del Desarrollo Humano en las Comunas de Chile (1994-2003) Archived July 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine." UNDP, Gobierno de Chile, Mideplán
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Pudahuel