Project Runway (season 13)
Project Runway Season 13 is the thirteenth season of the television show Project Runway, appearing on Lifetime. The season began airing on July 24, 2014, with 18 designers competing to become "the next great American designer." In addition, Amanda Valentine, a designer from Season 11, returned to compete once again for the grand prize. Valentine was voted back by fans in an online poll, winning against Alexander Pope and Ken Laurence, both of Season 12
|Project Runway (season 13)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||14|
|Original release||July 24– October 23, 2014|
|No. of contestants||19|
|No. of tasks||14|
Supermodel Heidi Klum, Marie Claire creative director Nina Garcia, and fashion designer Zac Posen all returned as judges this season. Tim Gunn maintained his role as the workroom mentor.
Aldo was the exclusive retail sponsor for Project Runway's 13th season and has merchandised the accessory wall with an assortment of products.
In 2016, Fäde zu Grau, Mitchell Perry, Emily Payne and Kini Zamora competed in the fifth season of Project Runway All Stars, with Fäde placing 13th, Mitchell placing 10th, Emily placing 5th, and Kini placing 2nd. In 2018, Amanda Valentine and Char Glover competed in the sixth season of All Stars, with Amanda placing 11th, and Char placing 10th of 16.
|Designer||Age||Hometown||Place of Residence||Place Finished|
|Tim Navarro||32||Rochester, MN||Minneapolis, MN||Eliminated Final Audition Episode 1|
|Nzinga Knight||33||Brooklyn, NY||Brooklyn, NY||Eliminated Final Audition Episode 1|
|Emmanuel Tobias||29||Dallas, TX||Dallas, TX||Eliminated Final Audition Episode 1|
|Jefferson Musanda||25||Lynn, MA||Brooklyn, NY||16th|
|Carrie Sleutskaya||24||Moscow, Russia||Los Angeles, CA||15th|
|Angela Sum||32||Toronto, Canada||Los Angeles, CA||14th|
|Hernan Lander||33||San Francisco de Macorís, Dominican Republic||New York, NY||13th|
|Mitchell Perry||25||Jacksonville, FL||Ft. Lauderdale, FL||12th|
|Kristine Guico||26||Naperville, IL||Brooklyn, NY||11th|
|Samantha Plasencia||27||San Antonio, TX||San Antonio, TX||10th|
|Fäde zu Grau||45||Altdöbern, East Germany||Coral Gables, FL||9th|
|Sandhya Garg||28||Delhi, India||Birmingham, AL||8th|
|Alexander Knox||22||Kankakee, IL||Chicago, IL||7th|
|Korina Emmerich||28||Eugene, OR||Brooklyn, NY||6th|
|Emily Payne||41||Temple, TX||San Francisco, CA||5th|
|Charketa "Char" Glover||37||Detroit, MI||Detroit, MI||4th|
|Kiniokahokula "Kini" Zamora||30||Kapolei, HI||Honolulu, HI||3rd|
|Amanda Valentine*||32||Lincoln, NE||Nashville, TN||Runner-up|
|Sean Kelly||25||Wellington, New Zealand||Brooklyn, NY||Winner|
*Amanda Valentine, designer in Season 11 was voted back by fans to this season.
This table possibly contains original research. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sean||IN||IN||LOW||LOW||WIN||WIN||HIGH||WIN||LOW||IN||LOW||HIGH||ADV||WINNER||14 - Finale, Part 2|
|Emily||IN||IN||HIGH||IN||IN||HIGH||IN||LOW||LOW||HIGH||HIGH||OUT||12 - Fashion Week: Who's In & Who's Out|
|Korina||IN||HIGH||IN||IN||LOW||IN||WIN||LOW||HIGH||WIN||OUT||11 - The Highest Bidder|
|Alexander||IN||IN||LOW||HIGH||IN||LOW||LOW||IN||IN||OUT||10 - Muse on the Street|
|Sandhya||WIN||LOW||WIN||IN||IN||LOW||IN||HIGH||OUT||9 - American Girl Doll|
|Fäde||IN||IN||IN||IN||IN||HIGH||IN||OUT||8 - The Rainway|
|Samantha||IN||IN||IN||IN||IN||LOW||OUT||7 - Priceless Runway|
|Kristine||IN||HIGH||HIGH||LOW||OUT||5 - The Klum of Doom|
|Hernan||IN||LOW||IN||OUT||4 - A Suitable Twist|
|Angela||LOW||IN||OUT||3 - Welcome to the Future|
|Carrie||IN||OUT||2 - Unconventional Movie Nite|
|Jefferson||OUT||1 - The Judges Decide|
- ^1 : In episode 1, Tim Navarro, Nzinga Knight, and Emmanuel Tobias were the 3 designers who were eliminated before the final 16 were officially participants of the show.
- ^2 : In episode 2, the judges thought Sandhya had the weakest look on her team, which had the lowest score. She could have gone home if she didn't have immunity. They also told Angela that her team could have won if her look had not pulled down their score.
- ^3 : In episode 3, Heidi stated that Amanda was lucky to have immunity because none of the judges liked her look.
- ^4 : In episode 5, two designers were eliminated: Mitchell and Kristine.
- ^5 : In episode 7, Tim Gunn decided to retroactively use his "Tim Gunn Save" on Char, canceling out her elimination in episode 6.
- ^6 : In episode 12, there was no winner announced in the challenge. Heidi only announced that Kini, Sean, Amanda and Char will go to fashion week. But the critique shows the judges like the work by Kini, Sean and Amanda.
- The designer won Project Runway Season 13.
- The designer advanced to Fashion Week.
- The designer won the challenge.
- The designer came in second but did not win the challenge.
- The designer had one of the highest scores for that challenge, but did not win.
- The designer had one of the lowest scores for that challenge, but was not eliminated.
- The designer was in the bottom two, but was not eliminated.
- The designer lost and was eliminated from the competition.
- The designer lost, but was brought back to the competition by Tim Gunn.
- The designer failed in the final auditions and was yelled by Gordon Ramsay.
|Lea||SK||SK||SK||SK||KZ||KZ||KZ||KZ||-||-||KZ, AV||KZ||KZ||3RD PLACE|
- In episode 9 & 10, the models were not needed in the challenge.
- The model won Project Runway Season 13.
- The model wore the winning design that challenge.
- The model wore the design that came in second.
- The model wore the design with one of the highest scores.
- The model wore the design that had one of the lowest scores.
- The model wore the design that landed in the bottom two.
- The model wore the losing design that challenge.
- The model was eliminated.
- The model was out, but was brought back.
- Alexandria Serafini
- Alisar Ailabouni
- Angelica Guillen-Jimenez
- Brianna Mellon
- Christabel Campbell
- Jasmine Rivers
- Jasmine Agnew
- Lea Mihevc
- Nea McLin
- Nikola Anderson
- Bella Davis
- DJ Smith
- Ashley Rossi
- Rachel McCray
- Ploy Supawetvehon
- Camille Annise-Lewis
- Alexander Knox: AK
- Amanda Valentine: AV
- Angela Sum: AS
- Carrie Sleutskaya: CS
- Char Glover: CG
- Emily Payne: EP
- Fäde Zu Grau: FG
- Hernan Lander: HL
- Jefferson Musanda: JM
- Kini Zamora: KZ
- Korina Emmerich: KE
- Kristine Guico: KG
- Mitchell Perry: MP
- Samantha Plasencia: SP
- Sandhya Garg: SG
- Sean Kelly: SK
Episode 0: Road to the RunwayEdit
Original airdate: July 24, 2014
- This was a special episode during which Tim Gunn shared how the Season 13 designers were chosen. First there was a nationwide casting call where hundreds of aspiring ones submitted their portfolios and home videos. From there the most promising designers were invited to audition before a panel of judges which included Gunn and Project Runway alums Mondo Guerra (Season 8 runner-up and winner of the first PR: All Stars), Laura Kathleen Planck (Season 9), Anthony Ryan Auld (Season 9 and winner of the second PR: All Stars), Nick Verreos (Season 2 and winning mentor on Under the Gunn) and Dmitry Sholokhov (Season 10 winner). Eighteen designers were selected for the final audition on Episode 1. Of note is that Emily, Kini, Korina and Tim had unsuccessfully tried out for past seasons of PR.
Episode 1: The Judges DecideEdit
Original airdate: July 24, 2014
- On the Season 13 opener the 18 designers selected pre-season must face one final audition before landing one of 15 coveted spots on the series. We then learn that Amanda Valentine from Season 11 is the #RunwayRedemption winner having received more fan votes than both Ken Lawrence and Alexander Pope from Season 12.
- For the Episode 1 challenge the 16 designers were given a trunk of six random fabrics and tasked with creating a look that would represent their spring collection if they made it to New York Fashion Week. Each designer was allowed to barter and exchange fabric with the other designers. The winner received immunity.
- Guest Judge: Julie Bowen
- WINNER: Sandhya
- ELIMINATED: Tim, Nzinga and Emmanuel after the final audition -and- Jefferson for the Episode 1 challenge
Episode 2: Unconventional Movie NiteEdit
Original airdate: July 31, 2014
- The designers visit a local movie theater, then must produce a look from unconventional materials found in the theater and on a movie set. The designers worked in teams of 3 to create a cohesive mini-collection.
|Team Name||Team Members|
|Silver||Kristine, Korina, Amanda|
|Blue||Angela, Fade, Sean|
|Purple||Mitchell, Char, Kini|
|Green||Samantha, Emily, Alexander|
|Red||Sandhya, Carrie, Hernan|
- Guest Judge: Garance Doré
- WINNER: Amanda
- ELIMINATED: Carrie
Episode 3: Welcome to the FutureEdit
Original airdate: August 7, 2014
- The designers use their past memories to create a look for the future and can be photographed in Marie Claire Magazine in the next 20 years.
- Guest Judge:Anne Fulenwider & Amanda de Cadenet
- WINNER: Sandhya
- ELIMINATED: Angela
Episode 4: A Suitable TwistEdit
Original airdate: August 14, 2014
- This was the Red Robin Challenge. The designers must revamp men's vintage suits to create looks for the modern woman. Since Sandhya won the last challenge, she got to choose her suit first. Then she got to choose every suit for every person. Many were happy and some were upset, especially Hernan and Mitchell.
- Guest Judge: Bethany Mota
- WINNER: Amanda
- ELIMINATED: Hernan
Episode 5: The Klum of DoomEdit
Original airdate: August 21, 2014
- The designers fashion a look for host Heidi Klum to wear to the Emmys. When Heidi and Tim made the trips around the workroom, Heidi was not satisfied. Heidi then allowed the designers to go to Mood to buy more fabric to revamp or redo their garments.
- Guest Judge: Lindsey Vonn
- WINNER: Sean
- ELIMINATED: Mitchell and Kristine
Episode 6: Rock the WeddingEdit
Original airdate: August 28, 2014
- The designers working in pairs to create unconventional wedding dresses and reception looks.
- Guest Judge: Dita Von Teese & Chiara Ferragni
- WINNER: Sean
- ELIMINATED: Char
Episode 7: Priceless RunwayEdit
Original airdate: September 4, 2014
- Pieces of Chopard jewelry inspire looks. Also: The designers visit a museum exhibit featuring the work of designer Charles James. Tim uses his 'Tim Gunn Save' to bring back Char, after having not done so immediately following her elimination from the competition the previous week.
- Guest Judge: Caroline Scheufele
- SAVED: Char
- WINNER: Korina
- ELIMINATED: Samantha
Episode 8: The RainwayEdit
Original airdate: September 11, 2014
- The designers create avant-garde styles that must stand up to the elements, particularly rain.
- Guest Judge: Caitlin FitzGerald
- WINNER: Sean & Kini
- ELIMINATED: Fäde
Episode 9: American Girl DollEdit
Original airdate: September 18, 2014
- The designers try to deliver stylish, age-appropriate looks inspired by American Girl dolls.
- Guest Judge: Elisabeth Moss & Heather Northrop
- WINNER: Kini
- ELIMINATED: Sandhya
Episode 10: Muse on the StreetEdit
Original airdate: September 25, 2014
- The clothiers seek their muse in the form of a complete stranger found on the streets of New York City. Here, they must convince the muses to undergo makeovers while creating looks for them.
- Guest Judge: Asha Leo & Michelle Monaghan
- WINNER: Korina
- ELIMINATED: Alexander
Episode 11: The Highest BidderEdit
Original airdate: October 2, 2014
- The designers pair up into teams of two and bid on storage containers. They must make three looks from the contents. After winner and "safes" are revealed, Bottom 2 are given one hour to create a new garment from scratch.
- Guest Judge: Christian Siriano
- WINNER: Kini
- ELIMINATED: Korina
Episode 12: Fashion Week: Who's In & Who's OutEdit
Original airdate: October 9, 2014
- The competition heats up when a challenge determines which contestants will go to Fashion Week. Dual challenges include a street-inspired look and refashioning a losing look from previous weeks. Included: Eliminated designers return to the workroom.
- Guest Judge: Shay Mitchell
- ADVANCED TO FASHION WEEK: Kini, Sean, Amanda, Char
- ELIMINATED: Emily
Episode 13: Finale, Part 1Edit
Original airdate: October 16, 2014
- In Part 1 of the two-part Season 13 finale, the designers head to Rome with Tim Gunn for inspiration and to shop for fabric.
- Guest Judge: None
Episode 14: Finale, Part 2Edit
Original airdate: October 23, 2014
- In the conclusion of the two-part Season 13 finale, the still-standing designers present their collections at New York Fashion Week, after which the winner is named.
- Guest Judge: Emmy Rossum
- WINNER: Sean
- ELIMINATED: Amanda (2nd place), Kini (3rd place), Char (4th place)
Episode 15: ReunionEdit
Original airdate: October 30, 2014
- "Project Runway Designers" Archived 2014-09-20 at the Wayback Machine., Project Runway Official Site. Lifetime Television. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- "Meet the Project Runway Season 13 Designers". TomAndLorenzo.com. July 18, 2014.
- "Bio for Fäde Zu Grau". ProjectRunway.com. August 9, 2014.
- "Project Runway: Coming Up on Episode 8 of Project Runway Season 13" Archived 2014-09-10 at the Wayback Machine., Project Runway Official Site. Lifetime Television. First look on rainway, viewed September 5, 2014.