Project Runway (season 10)
Project Runway Season 10 is the tenth season of the television show Project Runway, appearing on Lifetime. The season began airing on July 19, 2012 with 16 designers competing to become "the next great American designer."
|Project Runway (season 10)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||14|
|Original release||July 19– October 18, 2012|
|No. of contestants||16|
|No. of tasks||12|
The series began filming on June 15, 2012, launching the season with a fashion show in front of a live audience.
Returning as judges were supermodel Heidi Klum; fashion designer Michael Kors; and Marie Claire fashion director Nina Garcia. Tim Gunn returned as the workroom mentor. This would be the final season that Michael Kors would be a full-time judge, as he later decided he wanted to spend more of his time as a fashion designer as opposed to judging Project Runway.
Lord & Taylor was the exclusive retail sponsor for Project Runway's 10th season and has merchandised the accessory wall with an assortment of products. In addition, Lord & Taylor hosted a challenge episode for the designers and for consumers on Fashion's Night Out at its flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York City.
Melissa Fleis, Christopher Palu and Elena Slivnyak later competed in the third season of Project Runway All Stars in 2013, with Melissa placing 9th, Christopher placing 4th, and Elena placing 3rd. In 2014, Gunnar Deatherage, Fabio Costa, Sonjia Williams and Dmitry Sholokhov appeared in the fourth season of All Stars, with Gunnar placing 9th, Fabio placing 5th, Sonjia placing 2nd, and Dmitry winning the competition. In 2018, Melissa Fleis and Fabio Costa would later return to compete in Project Runway All Stars (season 6) with Melissa placing 14th and Fabio placing 2nd.
|Designer||Age||Hometown||Place of Residence||Place Finished|
|Beatrice Guapo||29||Orange County, California||Marina Del Rey, California||16th|
|Lantie Foster||48||Sacramento, California||New York City, New York||15th|
|Andrea Katz||58||Oceanside, New York||New York City, New York||14th (Quit)|
|Kooan Kosuke||30||Himeji, Hyōgo, Japan||Queens, New York||13th (Quit)|
|Buffi Jashanmal||32||Dubai, United Arab Emirates||New York City, New York||12th|
|Raul Osorio||27||Canoga Park, California||Minneapolis, Minnesota||11th (Originally 14th)|
|Nathan Paul||33||Zanesville, Ohio||New York City, New York||10th|
|Alicia Hardesty||27||Brandenburg, Kentucky||Los Angeles, California||9th|
|Gunnar Deatherage||22||Hanover, Indiana||Louisville, Kentucky||8th|
|Ven Budhu||28||Berbice, Guyana||Kew Gardens, Queens, New York||7th|
|Elena Slivnyak||28||Kiev, Ukraine||Daly City, California||6th|
|Sonjia Williams||27||Boston, Massachusetts||Woodside, Queens, New York||5th|
|Christopher Palu||24||Brooklyn, New York||Massapequa, New York||4th|
|Melissa Fleis||31||Rogers City, Michigan||San Francisco, California||3rd|
|Fabio Costa||29||Belo Horizonte, Brazil||Brooklyn, New York||Runner-up|
|Dmitry Sholokhov||32||Navapolatsk, Belarus||New York City, New York||Winner|
- Katt Vogel
- Hannah Herreid
- Lacee Teel
- Claudia Ruff
- Alexandra Wynne
- Mayra Rosario
- Kate Wilson
- Lauren Way
- Kailah Lindsey
- Sashalee Pallagi
- Jordan Hathaway
- Sarah Goolden
- Ashley Sanee'
- Phoenix Skye
- Aubrey Wilder
- Sonika Shankar
Extra Models-Challenge 1Edit
- Alex Spencer
- Anna Zhylyak
- Brandie Bowman
- Elaina Williams
- Iman Payne
- Jasmine Rivers
- Kyler Tate
- Priscilla Ebonae
- Sandra Woodley
Season 10 ChallengesEdit
- The designer won Project Runway Season 10.
- The designer was advanced to Fashion Week.
- The designer won the challenge.
- The designer came in second but did not win the challenge.
- The designer had one of the highest scores for that challenge, but did not win.
- The designer had one of the lowest scores for that challenge, but was not eliminated.
- The designer was in the bottom two, but was not eliminated.
- The designer lost and was out of the competition.
- The designer withdrew from the competition.
- ^1 : In episode 5, the 11 remaining designers were split into 2 teams: A team of 5 (Christopher, Fabio, Gunnar, Nathan, and Ven) and a team of 6 (Alicia, Dimitry, Elena, Melissa, Raul, and Sonjia) . The judges determined that the scores for both teams were equal and that there was no winning or losing team. Each individual was eligible for the win. Melissa won the challenge and although many of the designers received positive feedback, Christopher, Fabio, and Melissa were singled out by the judges as the TOP 3. Elena, Gunnar, and Raul received criticism and their scores are noted as being lower, as the Official Website Scorecard indicates them as the Bottom 3.
- ^2 : In episode 7, no one was eliminated and since they were still down one designer from where they planned to be at this point they only eliminated one designer the following week.
- ^3 : The team consisting of Melissa, Fabio, and Ven were placed on the bottom. However, although the judges primarily had many problems and criticisms regarding their looks, the pieces that Melissa made were noted as being very strong, and she received positive feedback.
- ^4 :There were two winners selected during this episode. Three designers designed an outfit for a baby boy, the other three designed for a baby girl. Christopher won the girl's outfit challenge and Sonjia won the boy's.
- The model wore the winning designs of Project Runway Season 10.
- The model wore the winning design that challenge.
- The model wore the losing design that challenge.
- The model was eliminated.
- The model withdrew from the competition
- ^1 : The models were not used in Episodes 3, 6 & 11
- Dmitry Sholokhov: DS
- Fabio Costa: FC
- Melissa Fleis: MF
- Christopher Palu: CP
- Sonjia Williams: SW
- Elena Slivnyak: ES
- Ven Budhu: VB
- Gunnar Deatherage: GD
- Alicia Hardesty: AH
- Nathan Paul: NP
- Raul Osorio: RO
- Buffi Jashanmal: BJ
- Kooan Kosuke: KK
- Andrea Katz: AK
- Lantie Foster: LF
- Beatrice Guapo: BG
Rate The Runway ResultsEdit
Episode 1: A Times Square Anniversary PartyEdit
Original Airdate: July 19, 2012
- Sixteen contestants arrive in New York with an outfit they designed at home that represents who they are as a designer. They are then given one day and $100 to create a complementary outfit. Both outfits were shown in the first runway show, held outdoors in Times Square.
- Guest Judges: Patricia Field and Lauren Graham
- WINNER: Christopher
- ELIMINATED: Beatrice
Episode 2: Candy CoutureEdit
Original Airdate: July 26, 2012
- In the Project Runway traditional "unconventional challenge," designers have to make outfits using candy from Dylan's Candy Bar.
- Guest Judge: Dylan Lauren
- WINNER: Ven
- ELIMINATED: Lantie
Episode 3: Welcome Back (or Not) to the RunwayEdit
Original Airdate: August 2, 2012
- Given the keys to 2013 Lexus GS 350 cars by Tim Gunn, designers were paired up and tasked to create an outfit based on their car's color. Each pair designed their dresses for a client who was a notable designer from a past season. The winner of the challenge was given the privilege of attending the Emmy Awards with their winning design worn by their client.
|Designer Pairs||Client||Season, Finish Position|
|Elena/Buffi||Laura Bennett||3, 3rd place|
|Christopher/Andrea||Anya Ayoung-Chee||9, Winner|
|Raul/Alicia||Mila Hermanovski||7, 3rd place|
|Gunnar/Kooan||Irina Shabayeva||6, Winner|
|Ven/Fabio||Kenley Collins||5, 3rd place|
|Dmitry/Melissa||April Johnston||8, 5th place|
|Nathan/Sonjia||Valerie Mayen||8, 7th place|
- Guest Judge: Krysten Ritter
- WINNER: Ven
- ELIMINATED: Raul
This episode ends in a cliffhanger, as Buffi and Melissa awaken the next morning to discover that Andrea's bed is empty and she is gone.
Episode 4: Women on the GoEdit
Original Airdate: August 9, 2012
- This challenge was a Michael Kors challenge. They are to make an outfit for a woman who is always on the go. Andrea left in the middle of the night and Kooan decides to leave the competition during the day as a result of crumbling under the pressure.
- Guest Judges: Hayden Panettiere and Rachel Roy
- WINNER: Sonjia
- RETURNED: Raul[a]
- ELIMINATED: Buffi
- WITHDREW: Andrea,[b] Kooan[c]
Episode 5: It's My Way On the RunwayEdit
Original Airdate: August 16, 2012
- The designers were split up into two teams to create a cohesive line of professional womenswear. The designers had until 11 P.M. to finish their looks and no time the next day because of a photoshoot.
|Team 6||Sonjia, Elena, Melissa, Dmitry, Alicia, Raul|
|Team 5||Nathan, Ven, Christopher, Fabio, Gunnar|
- Note: This challenge had no winning and losing team, and any designer had the chance to be the winner.
- Guest Judge: Joanna Coles
- WINNER: Melissa
- ELIMINATED: Raul
Episode 6: Fix My FriendEdit
Original Airdate: August 23, 2012
- The designers were given clients that are in need of a style makeover and design outfits according to their client's preferences. Tensions ran high between Ven, his client, and his fellow peers.
- Guest Judge: Alice Temperley
- WINNER: Fabio
- ELIMINATED: Nathan
Episode 7: Oh My Lord & TaylorEdit
Original Airdate: August 30, 2012
- Lord & Taylor launched an exclusive Project Runway capsule collection to celebrate the show's tenth season. Consisting of ten cocktail and evening dresses from throughout the program's history, this collection was to be completed by the winner of this episode's challenge. The winner's dress was produced together with the other nine dresses for sale at Lord & Taylor.
- Guest Judge: Bonnie Brooks
- WINNER: Christopher
- ELIMINATED: None[d]
Episode 8: Starving ArtistEdit
Original Airdate: September 6, 2012
- In a sales-based test, the designers were split into teams of three and were tasked to sell makeshift goods to people on the street and raise funds to buy fabric. Each team then had to design two looks, one of which had to be outerwear.
|Christopher, Sonjia, Gunnar||$684|
|Dmitry, Elena, Alicia||$500|
|Ven, Melissa, Fabio||$800.48|
- Guest Judge: Anna Sui
- WINNER: Sonjia
- ELIMINATED: Alicia
Episode 9: It's All About MeEdit
Original Airdate: September 13, 2012
- The contestants designed their own prints that had to be featured in a modern look.
- Guest Judges: Mondo Guerra and Anya Ayoung Chee
- WINNER: Dmitry
- ELIMINATED: Gunnar
Episode 10: I Get a Kick Out of FashionEdit
Original Airdate: September 20, 2012
- The designers had to design an outfit for the Rockettes. Christopher's winning design featuring the New York skyline will be worn in a future Rockettes performance.
- Guest Judge: Debra Messing
- WINNER: Christopher
- ELIMINATED: Ven
Episode 11: It's Fashion BabyEdit
Original Airdate: September 27, 2012
- The designers were tasked to create looks for Heidi Klum's 'Babies R Us' collection while caring for a lifelike baby doll. There were two winners: Christopher won the best design for the girl outfits, while Sonjia won for the boy outfits.
- Guest Judge: Hilary Duff
- WINNER: Christopher and Sonjia
- ELIMINATED: Elena
Episode 12: In a Place Far, Far AwayEdit
Original Airdate: October 4, 2012
- The designers are to create avant-garde looks inspired by the new L'Oreal Paris makeup line.
- Guest Judge: Zoe Saldana
- WINNER: Dmitry
- ELIMINATED: Sonjia
Episode 13: Finale, Part IEdit
Original Airdate: October 11, 2012
- Advanced to Fashion Week: Christopher, Dmitry, Fabio, Melissa
Episode 14: Finale, Part IIEdit
Original Airdate: October 18, 2012
- Guest Judge: Jennifer Hudson
- WINNER: Dmitry
- ELIMINATED: Fabio, Melissa, Christopher
- After Andrea and Kooan made the decision to withdraw from the competition, producers decided to reinstate Raul so that they would not have fewer competitors than they were supposed to have.
- Andrea left in the middle of the night unseen, and when producers attempted to contact her, she did not answer. After several hours, she finally e-mailed the producers to tell them that she was safe, but she was officially withdrawing from the competition.
- After Andrea made the decision to withdraw from the competition, Kooan decided that he was not made for the show either and he should leave. He was then escorted off the premises by producers.
- Judges decided that every contestant had met the bar on this challenge, and therefore nobody deserved to be eliminated.
- "Project Runway Launches 10th Season with Live Fashion Show". TV Guide. 2012-06-16. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Project Runway Designers", Project Runway official site. Lifetime Television. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "Project Runway: Meet the Designers Competing on Season 10". People.com. June 15, 2012. Retrieved June 15, 2012.