Prateik Babbar (born 28 November 1986) is an Indian actor. The son of late actress Smita Patil and Raj Babbar, he began his career as a production assistant before pursuing an acting career. Prior to his screen debut, Babbar appeared in television advertisements for a variety of products, including Nestle KitKat, on the recommendation of the filmmaker Prahlad Kakkar. Since his debut in Bollywood, Babbar has received such accolades as a Filmfare Award and a Stardust Award.
28 November 1986 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Relatives||See Babbar family|
Babbar made his screen debut with the 2008 coming of age drama Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na, and was praised for his performance in the film. He garnered nominations at various award ceremonies including the Filmfares, Screen Awards, and the Stardust Awards for best debut, winning the last of the three. Babbar played a variety of roles in 2011, appearing in commercially viable projects such as the crime thriller Dum Maro Dum and the political drama Aarakshan, while drawing the attention of critics for his performances in independent films, including the drama Dhobi Ghat and the romantic comedy My Friend Pinto.
Following a battle with substance abuse in 2013, a problem that Babbar had struggled with in the past as well, he went through rehab and counselling and has managed to stay sober since. He attended acting school taking up a course in method acting at the Jeff Goldberg Studio in 2016. He made a comeback with the comedy drama Umrika, which opened at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival to positive response.
Babbar made his acting debut in the Aamir Khan production, Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na alongside Imran Khan and Genelia D'Souza. His portrayal of the annoying, attention-seeking brother of Genelia's character won him critical appreciation as well as numerous awards. At the 54th Filmfare Awards, Babbar received a Special Jury certificate, as well as nominations for Best Male Debut and Best Supporting Actor. The film went on to become a major commercial success.
Following this initial success, he appeared in films which earned him little recognition. In 2011, Babbar appeared in four films, the first of which was Kiran Rao's Dhobi Ghaat, which opened to positive reviews at film festivals worldwide. Babbar also featured in the action-thriller Dum Maro Dum alongside Abhishek Bachchan and Rana Daggubati, and in the Prakash Jha-directed social drama Aarakshan with Amitabh Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone. Also, in 2011, he acted opposite Kalki Koechlin in My Friend Pinto. His subsequent films include Ekk Deewana Tha and Issaq, both of which underperformed at the box office. In 2014, he made Bengali film debut in film titled Auroni Taukhon with Paoli Dam.
Following a battle with substance abuse in 2013, Babbar went through rehab in Mumbai, and attended extensive counselling. After gaining sobriety, he attended acting school taking up a course in method acting at the Jeff Goldberg Studio in 2016. Babbar's first role after the course was in a short film entitled The Guitar. He made his feature film comeback with the comedy drama Umrika, which opened at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival to positive response.
Babbar was born on 28 November 1986 and is the son of the actor-politician Raj Babbar and the actress Smita Patil. His mother died due to complications in childbirth when Prateik was born. Prateik was raised by his maternal grandparents in Mumbai. He has said in interviews that he had a strained relationship with his father while growing up, as his father was "always busy with his other family." However, he has also stated that he and his father were reconciled after Prateik grew to adulthood. Prateik's stepmother is the actress Nadira Babbar and his half-siblings are Arya Babbar and Juhi Babbar, who are also actors.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2008||Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na||Amit Mahant|
|Dum Maro Dum||Lawrence "Lorry" Gomes|
|My Friend Pinto||Michael Pinto|
|2012||Ekk Deewana Tha||Sachin Kulkarni|
|2014||Auroni Taukhon||Bengali film|
|2018||Baaghi 2||Sunny Salgaonkar|
|Abhi Toh Party Shuru Hui Hai
|2016||Shockers||Karan||Directed by Faruk Kabir|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2009||Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na||Filmfare Awards||Filmfare Special Jury Award (certificate)||Won|||
|Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut||Nominated|||
|Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|||
|Stardust Awards||Stardust Award for Breakthrough Performance – Male||Won|
|Screen Awards||Screen Award for Best Male Debut||Nominated|||
|2012||Dhobi Ghaat||Stardust Awards||Stardust Award for Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Nominated|||
- "Prateik Babbar BollyGraph Bio". Bolly Graph.
- "Times Most Desirable Men 2011". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Prateik talks about 'My Friend Pinto' and his Bollywood journey". CNN-IBN. 3 October 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Filmfare: 'Jodha...' bags 5, Priyanka, Hrithik shine". The Times of India. 1 March 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Prateik Babbar | Latest Celebrity Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 7 November 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Jha, Shefali S. (15 September 2013). "Famous fathers and their not-so-lucky sons!". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Lalwani, Vickey (22 May 2014). "'Dad was not around while I was growing up'". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Atray Banan, Aastha (24 April 2016). "Interview: Prateik Babbar's frank talk on drugs, love, and missing parents". Mid-Day. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Prateik upsets Babbar family". Times of India. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Prateik Babbar's Biography". Koimoi. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Dhingra, Deepali (16 July 2012). "Prateik's learning curve". Mid-Day. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Prateik Babbar on mother Smita Patil: Got to be her sunshine kid". NDTV. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Saroj, Shikha (22 April 2010). "I don't meet Juhi, Arya often: Pratik". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Lalwani, Vickey (2 August 2012). "Prateik, Amy's romance comes to an end". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Rishi Kapoor surprises fans with his new look for Mulq. Then shares 102 Not Out bonanza pic". hindustantimes.com. 2017-10-17. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- Filmfare awards 2009 part4 HD. YouTube. 28 February 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
Event occurs at 8:44
- "Star Screen Awards Nominations – 2008". Indicine. 8 January 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Accepting that addiction is not a moral failing helps in de-addiction, says Prateik Cinestaan