Poway High School
Poway High School is a four-year secondary school in southern California accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Established in 1961, its approximately 2,408 students are from the suburban communities of Poway and Rancho Bernardo, north of the city of San Diego. The school has curricula for university-bound, college-bound, and vocation-bound graduates. About 1% of the high school's graduates join the military, 3% get civilian employment; 1% enroll in special schools, 37% enroll in two-year colleges, and 54% go to four-year colleges and universities. Some of its alumni are famous athletes.
|Poway High School|
15500 Espola Road
|Motto||Faithful Titans we will be through the years to you|
|School district||Poway Unified|
|Grades||9th – 12th grade|
|Medium of language||English|
|School color(s)||Emerald Green and Grey|
|Fight song||Sons of Westwood|
|Rival||Rancho Bernardo High School|
|Website||Poway High School|
The high school has a campus with several buildings. Elective course offerings include agriculture, floral design, architectural design, and computer animation. Other activities include automobile repair and design, choir, marching band, and photography. Its athletic teams are called the Titans. It has a Theatre Guild. The school also offers PLTW engineering courses and has a campus-affiliated FIRST robotics team, Team Spyder 1622.
In 2004, the school forbade a student from wearing an anti-gay T-shirt during the school's gay–straight alliance's Day of Silence. The student, Tyler Chase Harper, filed suit, claiming that the school had violated his constitutional rights. The case was Harper v. Poway Unified School District. In 2006, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in a divided decision, denied the student's claim and held that the school's regulation of student speech in this case was constitutional. The student sought review in the U.S. Supreme Court; in 2007, the Court vacated the judgment as moot because Harper had graduated.
In 2011, in a separate case, Johnson v. Poway Unified School District, the Ninth Circuit found that the school board could order a teacher to remove religious decorations (specifically, 7-foot wide, 2-foot high banners bearing Christian phrases) from his classroom, holding that the speech of teachers in school settings is government speech.
The four-year secondary school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. It has approximately 2,408 students and employs 90 teachers, 62 support staff, 4 administrators, 4 counselors, 1 psychologist and 1 librarian. The length of its class periods vary and add to 297 minutes per week. Every Monday is a "professional growth day", with 54-minute periods. It is a trimester based system with class periods 70 minutes long from Tuesday through Thursday. Periods are 65 minutes on Friday
The school was established in September 1961 to be the first of five high schools for the Poway Unified School District. The general population in the district reached about 186,195 in 2014, of which about 33,000 were students, including kindergarten through the twelfth grade. The students of Poway High School are from the suburban communities of Poway and Rancho Bernardo which are 15 miles northeast of the City of San Diego. In rare cases, students living in the nearby town of Ramona attend Poway High School because it is better funded.
Students take required classes in English, Social Science, Mathematics, Physical Science, Biological Science, Health, Physical Education, and Fine Arts. They must pass the CAHSEE in English Language Arts and Mathematics. They also take a required number of elective classes. There are three majors: University-bound, College-bound, and high school graduation. The last take electives based on their vocational interests. There are advanced placement, honors, and occupational courses. There are also English language and remedial courses.
In the 2012–2013 Poway students scored higher than the national mean on the SAT test, 784 students took AP exams and 4 were National Merit semi-finalists. Student pursuits following graduation have been: 5% in the military, 3% full-time employment; 1% in special schools, 37% in two-year colleges and 54% four-year colleges and universities.
- the 3 original members of Agent 51
- Albrey Battle – gridiron football player
- Jud Buechler – basketball player
- Kellye Cash – Miss America 1987
- Tom DeLonge – guitarist/vocalist of Blink-182, Box Car Racer, and Angels and Airwaves
- Alex Dickerson (born 1990) - Major League Baseball player for the San Francisco Giants
- David Goeddel – biotechnology pioneer
- Alex Dickerson – outfielder for the San Diego Padres
- Tina Guo – Cellist associated with Hans Zimmer
- Tony Gwynn Jr. – baseball player
- Charley Hoffman – PGA Tour Member. Won the 2007 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, the 2010 Deutsche Bank Championship, the 2014 OHL Classic at Mayakoba, and the 2016 Valero Texas Open.
- Connor Joe - baseball player
- Bobby Lee – Comedian on MADtv.
- Brian Maienschein - California politician
- Hector Maldonado – musician (bass/vocals/guitar/percussion)
- Tyler Nevin – baseball player
- Kevin Newman – baseball player
- Phil Plantier – baseball player
- Brian Rast – professional poker player
- Stephanie Seymour – model
- Lauren Elaine – Actress, celebrity fashion designer
- "Superintendent's Profile". Poway Unified School District.
- "PHS Staff Contacts". Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Poway High". Rate My Teachers. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- "Feeder.pdf" (PDF). Poway Unified School District.
- Site Plan, Poway High School. Retrieved, 12:53 AM 8-18-14
- Poway High School, Google Maps. Retrieved, 12:58 AM 8-18-14
- About Poway High School, Retrieved, 12:39AM, 8-18-14
- Glae Thien. October 12, 2007 Poway rallies to stay unbeaten, Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Kevin Gemmell. January 22, 2006. Former Titans wrestler a natural fit coaching Slammers feeder program Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Boyce Garrison. December 30, 2007. Actions speak louder than words for Poway Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- North County Times. Feb. 5, 2004 PHS Theatre Guild to perform 'Bus Stop' Retrieved, 1:50 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- U-T. October 15, 2004. North Inland FYI . . . Poway High School Theatre Guild . . . Retrieved, 2:02 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- "Poway High School Engineering Academy and Pathway".
- "Team Spyder 1622 - Home". www.teamspyder.org.
- "Recent Case: Ninth Circuit Upholds Public School's Prohibition of Anti-Gay T-Shirts" (PDF). Harvard Law Review. 120: 1691. 2007. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Recent Case: Ninth Circuit Holds that Teacher Speech in School-Related Settings Is Necessarily Government Speech" (PDF). Harvard Law Review. 125: 1868. 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- Poway High School. 2018. General Information, School, Poway High School Profile, 2017–2018.
- Poway High School. 2014. An Overview, Poway High School Profile, 2013–2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Community, Poway High School Profile, 2013–2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Graduation Requirements, Poway High School Profile, 2013–2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Curriculum, Poway High School Profile, 2013–2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Academic Recognition, Poway High School Profile, 2013–2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Post Secondary Pursuits, Poway High School Profile, 2013–2014.
- "Albrey Battle". all-xfl.com. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
-  Accessed June 19, 2008.
- "Former Miss America picked for Poway High Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Titan alums selected for Hall of Fame - Pomerado News". www.sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. Bio Accessed June 19, 2008
- Charley Hoffman Biography Archived 2009-05-29 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed October 3, 2009.
- Jeff Sanders. "Poway grad Connor Joe makes MLB debut with Giants". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- 'Mad' man. San Diego Union Tribune, September 19, 2004. Accessed April 26, 2009.
- "Meet two of this year's Poway High Hall of Fame inductees". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- Michael Bower. "Prep baseball: Poway High's Newman commits to University of Arizona". Pomerado News. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
-  Accessed June 19, 2008
- "WSOP: Poway High grad Rast has chance at largest prize ($18.3M) in poker history". Pomerado News. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "San Diego's Super Models : Agencies Have Discovered Area and Best Talent Under the Sun". Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "MMA: Poway's Jesse Taylor seeks belt". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Steven Asarch. "'League of Legends' CLG Manages To Beat Crowd Favorite TSM In NA LCS Finals". iDigitalTimes.com. Retrieved 19 April 2016.