Pothan Vava is a 2006 Malayalam film directed by Joshi starring Mammootty in the title role. Famous Indian pop and bollywood singer Usha Uthup made her first screen appearance through this film. She played the role of Mammootty's mother.
|Written by||Benny P Nayarambalam|
|Music by||Alex Paul|
|Edited by||Anu Krishnan Perumbavoor|
|21 October 2006|
Pothen Vava tells the story of Vava (Mammootty), the son of Kurishuveettil Mariamma (Usha Uthup), a lawyer popularly known as Vakeelamma. In his village Palliyangadi, frequent clashes take place between the Vaddakkeyangadi group led by Kurishuveettil Mariamma and Vava, and the Thekkeyangadi group led by Pulikattil Vakkachan and his sons Anto and Paul. However, Vakkachan's youngest daughter Gladys, who had been a junior to Vakeelamma when the latter was a practicing lawyer, is now herself a lawyer and with the tacit approval of her father, stands by the Kurishuveettil family in all lawsuits.
Meanwhile, the usual clashes erupt between the two factions regarding the church festival. When Vava is selected to head the festivities for the year, the Thekkeyangadi group objects saying that Vava, born to a Christian Mother and a Brahmin father (Melpathoor Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri, a singer), was never baptized, and so could not head the festivities. Following this objection Vava decides to get baptized, but Vakeelamma says that he must first seek his father's permission, though his father and mother had been divorced years ago.
Vava goes to see his father who is now a renowned singer. He is welcomed by his father's manager Sivankutty, Sivankutty's sister Gayathri and others. But there is someone who wants to see Vava dead. Sivan Kutty kills Namboothiri. Vava kills Sivan for revenge. So for the rituals Vava becomes Brahman. He gets arrested and his mother walks into the pyre and dies.
Soon after his prison sentence, the warring faction set their difference aside and invite Vava to head the church festivities . The films ends with Pulikattil Vakkachan accepting Vava as his son-in-law for he proved himself as a true human who reunited his parents irrespective of their religions .
- Mammootty as Pothan Vava
- Gopika as Advocate Gladys
- Usha Uthup as Kurisuveettil Mariamma
- Nedumudi Venu as Meppattor Vishnu Narayanan Nampoothiri
- Samvrutha Sunil as Gayathri
- Bijukuttan as Mathai
- Rajan P. Dev as Vakkachan
- Spadikam George as Antochan
- Maniyanpilla Raju as Paulachan
- Saikumar as Sivankutty
- Kalasala Babu as the Priest
- Kunchan as Panikkar
- Ponnamma Babu
- Nisha Sarang
- Deepika Mohan
- Lal as Himself (Guest Appearance)
- "Vave Makane" - Madhu Balakrishnan, Usha Uthup
- "Vave Makane" - Afsal, Madhu Balakrishnan, Pradeep Palluruthy, Ramesh Babu
- "Nerane Ellam Nerane" - Madhu Balakrishnan, Reju Joseph, Manjari
- "Omkarathidambulla" - M. G. Sreekumar
- "Manjadi Manimuth" - M. G. Sreekumar, Jyotsna
- "Raga" (Bit) - Jyotsna, Chorus
|This article about a Malayalam film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|