This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Maria Cielito "Pops" Lukban Fernandez (born December 12, 1966) is a Filipina singer, entertainer, entrepreneur, TV host and actress.
Fernandez at a concert in Copenhagen in 2005
|Birth name||Maria Cielito Lukban Fernandez|
|Born||December 12, 1966|
Lucban, Quezon, Philippines
|Genres||Pop, dance, OPM|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actress, model|
|Associated acts||Martin Nievera, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Kuh Ledesma, Gary Valenciano, Regine Velasquez|
Maria Cielito "Pops" Lukban Fernandez was born on December 12, 1966, in Lucban, Quezon, to the late action star Eddie Fernandez and Dulce Lukban.
Fernandez began her music career at age 16 when she signed a contract with OctoArts Records (now PolyEast Records) in 1981. In 1982, Fernandez released her first album and co-hosted the Philippine television series The Penthouse Live! with Martin Nievera. She became a popular celebrity in the Philippines. She has appeared on the covers of several Philippine magazines.
Fernandez was awarded the Best Female Musical Variety Show Host at the Philippine KBP Golden Dove Awards in 1999. She has also toured the United States, Japan, Hong Kong, Guam, and Italy promoting her music to Philippine audiences. She also released her album Shindig Live in 2001.
In 1998, Fernandez did appeared in the TV drama, Nagmamahal Pa Rin Sa Iyo with Albert Martinez and Gary Estrada a mini TV series and the title of her hit album.
From 1999 to 2006, Fernandez went back to acting this time without her husband Martin Nievera in 1999 she did the film, Linlang with Richard Gomez and Joyce Jimenez which earned her much respected praise. In 2001, she started in another Maryo J. de los Reyes thriller and political film, Gusto Ko Nang Lumigaya in which the singer-actress shed some skin for the role starring Albert Martinez, Diether Ocampo and Bojo Molina and also Anton Bernardo under Viva Films in 2002 she did her first Star Cinema Movie Videoke King with Robin Padilla and in 2006 started in the superhero movie Zsa Zsa Zaturnah under Regal Entertainment.
In June 2007, Fernandez co-hosted a Philippine show with Kuh Ledesma in Las Vegas. She was preparing for her December concert at the Araneta Coliseum marking her 25th anniversary in the Philippine entertainment industry.
During her divorce in 1999, she ventured into doing movies such as Linlang starring Richard Gomez and Joyce Jimenez about a wronged wife out for revenge after learning of her husband's infidelity. The movie was directed by multi-awarded director, Maryo J. de los Reyes, which won her the Box Office Queen Award. In 2000, she did another movie under Reyes' direction in the suspense/thriller, Gusto Ko Nang Lumigaya. These two movies showed her acting prowess and boosted her acting career.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 2009, Fernandez performed in the US leg of her The Divas 4 Divas Tour together with Regine Velasquez, Kuh Ledesma and Zsa Zsa Padilla. She released a new album under MCA Universal entitled Hope, which is a collection of cover versions including a new version of her 1983 song "Little Star".
After appearing in I Love Betty La Fea, Fernandez became a judge in GMA Network's Are You The Next Big Star?, a singing contest/reality show. She also did a major concert with ex-husband Martin Nievera, entitled Missing You held at the Araneta Coliseum.
In 2010, Fernandez and Nievera reunited once again for a Valentine's Day concert entitled One More Time held at the SMX Convention Center. Aside from that, Fernandez was also a special guest in Sharon Cuneta's 'Up Close' U.S. concert. In 2011, she and Ogie Alcasid staged a back to back 2011 Valentine concert, 'I Valentine U' at Crowne Plaza Hotel. On June 14, she held a fabulous, fashion/style one-night concert, 'Pops in Fashion' at the Newport Performing Arts Theatre. In July, Fernandez and Ai-Ai delas Alas paired up for the 'Unstoppable' concert at the Grand Theatre in Reno, Nevada. In August, she also guested in Erik Santos' 'Power Ikons' concert at the Music Museum.
In 2012, Fernandez was an in-demand artist abroad along with Martin Nievera and friend, Ai-Ai delas Alas. They staged in Three's the Company, a musical love triangle in California on April 20. Fernandez and Nievera also did a series of shows, 'Twogether' in Toronto and Calgary on May 4 and 6. They also released an all duet covers album entitled No More Words. Back in the Philippines, Fernandez along with Jim Paredes hosted the one-night all-star OPM icons concert 'ICONS at MOA' on June 16. She was also invited to perform in Yokohama, Japan for the Philippine Barrio Fiesta in September. In the same month, she also hosted the PMPC Star Awards for Music and was given a special award, Natatanging Alagad ng Musika along with some OPM veterans. She also signed up to a contract with Viva Entertainment Group in November. In December, along with Lani Misalucha, she was given an honor of Walk of Fame by Kuya Germs in Eastwood City. Aside from singing and performing, Fernandez is also a businesswoman who created Cheapipay, a one-stop-shop online store.
In 2019, she is one of the 50 panelists around the world to participate in a new American reality talent show The World's Best by CBS. She is the first Filipina to be featured as a judge in an American reality talent show.
- 1982: Pops (Canary Records)
- 1983: Pops Fernandez in Love (Canary Records)
- 1984: Heading for the Top (Canary Records)
- 1986: The Best of Pops Fernandez (OctoArts International)
- 1989: Awesome (Sunshine Records)
- 1991: Change (Sunshine Records)
- 1993: Pops (Dyna Music)
- 1996: Colours (Star Music)
- 1999: Nagmamahal Pa Rin Sa 'Yo (Star Music)
- 1999: Moments (Viva Records)
- 2001: Shindig Live (Viva Records)
- 2001: The Story of Pops Fernandez (EMI Philippines, Inc.)
- 2002: The Way I Feel Inside (Viva Records)
- 2004: When Words Are Not Enough (Viva Records)
- 2006: Silver (Viva Records)
- 2006: Don't Say Goodbye (re-release) (Vicor Music Corporation)
- 2009: Hope (MCA Music)
- 2012: No More Words (collaboration with Martin Nievera) (PolyEast Records)
- "Bakit Ngayon Ka Lang" with Freestyle (live)
- "I Say a Little Prayer" with Janno Gibbs
- "Points of View" with Joey Albert
- "Nanliligaw Naliligaw" with Mulatto
- "It's You" with Kris Lawrence
- "Come What May" with BLISS
- "Kumusta Ka" with Robin Padilla
- "Always & Forever" with Martin Nievera
- "Goodbye" with Martin Nievera
- "Goodbye Girl" with Martin Nievera
- "High On Love" with Martin Nievera
- "One Heart" with Martin Nievera
- "Pagdating Ng Panahon" with Martin Nievera
- "Nandito Ako" with Martin Nievera
- "Forevermore" with Martin Nievera
- "Hands To Heaven" with Martin Nievera
- "Smile" with Martin Nievera
- "Umagang Kay Ganda" with Martin Nievera
- "Reunited" with Martin Nievera
- "You've Got A Friend" with Dr. Manny Calayan
- "Friends" with Robin Nievera
- "You'll Be in My Heart" with Robin Nievera
- "Cruisin" with Keempee de Leon (live)
- "Give Me Five" with Tito, Vic and Joey
- Zsazsa Zaturnnah Ze Moveeh (2006)
- Videoke King (2002)
- Gusto Ko Nang Lumigaya (2000)
- Linlang (1999)
- Tamis Ng Unang Halik (1989)
- Kung Maibabalik Ko Lang (1989)
- Magic to Love (1989)
- Twinkle, Twinkle Magic Star (1988)
- Sa Puso Ko Hahalik Ang Mundo (1988)
- Stupid Cupid (1988)
- Shoot That Ball (1987)
- Si Mister at Si Misis (1986)
- Always and Forever (1986)
- Payaso (1986)
- Bilanggo...Prisons No. 10069 (1985)
- Give Me Five (1984)
- Paano Ba ang Magmahal (1984)
- Just Say You Love Me (1982)
- Pag-ibig Pa (1982)
- Love Ko 'To (1980)
|2019||The World's Best||Herself – Wall of the World||CBS|
|2016||Eat Bulaga!||Herself/Guest||GMA Network|
|Born to Be a Star||Judge||TV5|
|2013||The Ryzza Mae Show||Herself/Guest||GMA Network|
|2012||Party Pilipinas||Herself/Guest Performer|
|2009||Celebrity Duets: Philippine Edition Season 3|
|Are You The Next Big Star?||Judge|
|I Love Betty La Fea||Paulina||ABS-CBN|
|2004||Sing-Galing ni Pops|
|2003–2004||Twin Hearts||Adelle Medira||GMA Network|
|2003||All Together Now||Rina|
|2002||Morning Girls with Kris and Korina||Herself/Guest||ABS-CBN|
|1999||Nagmamahal Pa Rin Sa Iyo||Various|
|1995–2003 ; 2010–present||ASAP||Host/Performer / Occasional Guest Performer|
|1994||Miss Universe 1994 Presentation Show||Herself/Host|
|1982–1987||The Penthouse Live!||GMA Network|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2014)
|2010||GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Female Concert Performer of the Year||Won|
- ""Divas 4 Divas" to delight audiences, Dec 6". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved November 16, 2019.
- "Pinoy divas booed by US audience: report". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved November 16, 2019.
- "Pops Fernandez launches "Hope"". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved November 16, 2019.
- "ABS-CBN big winner at GMMSF Entertainment Awards". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 21 May 2014.